Thinking of using PVC pipe for air?

This is where bits of wisdom will be stored, a frequently asked question section with answers.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH

SteveHGraham

Re: Thinking of using PVC pipe for air?

Postby SteveHGraham » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Yes, I know what table salt is. There are other salts of chlorine. I said "salts" because I didn't know what the chlorine turned into after reacting with pee, mucus, sweat, dead skin, excrement, and so on. I figured maybe the machine was able to salvage some of the chlorine by breaking up some of the compounds it formed. I read about it today, and it's impossible to get a straight answer, because 99% of the sites that mention electrolysis chlorination are trying to sell the machines. One site says the chlorine rejoins the sodium on the way back to the filter.

The Genie-Chlor people used to bring salt in, in bags the size of pillows. Today I read that the pool my family had would have required 1,000 pounds of salt in order to get the chlorination process up and running.

The prep school I went to before high school shocked its pool one day and promptly put us in it. The pool was outdoors, and you could smell the chlorine fifty feet away! In classes later that day, the kids could barely see.
Don't trigger me, bro!

John Hasler

Re: Thinking of using PVC pipe for air?

Postby John Hasler » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:36 pm

The chlorine ends up forming various complicated compounds with the organics. The sodium forms sodium hydroxide.

> One site says the chlorine rejoins the sodium on the way back to the filter.

Don't buy anything from them. They know less than nothing about their product.

Return to “The Resource Library”