Restoring a modified Allen 2-4-0 barn find

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

FLSTEAM

Re: Restoring a modified Allen 2-4-0 barn find

Postby FLSTEAM » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:18 am

I think your burn rate is going to be more like 1 gal/hr.

John B
http://www.ngshay.com/
Shay drawings and castings

Greg_Lewis

Postby Greg_Lewis » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:25 pm

While I don't know what issues you are facing re. the valve rod, keep in mind that Horrible Fright Tools is a good source for cheap wrenches and pliers that can be modified and have solved problems for other folks. Think about how they build a ship in a bottle, or perform some of that surgery through little holes. I bent up a HF wrench once to get into a tight spot and it worked.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of non-interchangeable parts.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 30 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.

Steve Alley

Postby Steve Alley » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 am

I came across some of the original prints for this engine. and working on putting together a full set of prints. I will be making changes so it fits to the parts in stock. Most will anyway. But to remove or replace fractions to decimal's on this new prints that will be out soon.
Steve Alley

tyleire

Postby tyleire » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Definitely looking forward to getting my hands on those prints!

The back of the valve rod sheared off (I think it might have been pressed on) Managed to disassemble by desoldering the front without removing the boiler thankfully. While repairing, my friend and I noticed a good deal of slop and wear in the assembly, especially the expansion link block. When those plans are out, I'll check to see if the new EDM stevenson links for the mogul are a matching replacement.

20170709_180015.jpg

20170709_180032.jpg

Here my friend used an indicator to help find dead center by temporarily mounting a piece of scrap metal to the crossheads. With the slop, the valve still has a lot of play, so we think timing might need to be more trial and error as we continue the shakedown runs.

20170709_133943.jpg

tyleire

Postby tyleire » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:01 pm

First shakedown run with my buddy James at the controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz5bKhEYXxQ

As you can see its all still a little rough. Priming is still a big problem even though this is the 6th time firing up. There was a good deal of oil and other crud draining out of the boiler when I bought the engine 2 years ago, and even with LSB8000, the water is still filthy, clogging up the atomizer and blower lines, injector, sight glass. I'm thinking about trying that Boiler Treat Ultra stuff to see if it can help.
The clacking you hear was a loose cylinder rod on the crosshead. Managed to fix that at the end of the run.
Timing is still off I think.
The cylinders and throttle need to be repacked.
The axle pump doesnt work at all due to a bad seal I think, which really needs to be fixed because the injector really takes a bite out of the steam pressure. Actually pretty much anything I attempted to do with all of these leaks killed pressure. Small boilers I guess.

NP317

Postby NP317 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:46 am

Progress!
Yes, the timing is severely off and preventing decent running.
Keep at it. That's one CUTE locomotive!
~RN

Return to “Build Log”