1” USRA Light Mikado

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Berkman

Re: 1” USRA Light Mikado

Post by Berkman »

that would be quite the game changer if patterns like that could be fairly easily and affordably made for one offs or twos etc. Just curious why use cylinder halves vs a single piece block?
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Berkman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:29 pm that would be quite the game changer if patterns like that could be fairly easily and affordably made for one offs or twos etc. Just curious why use cylinder halves vs a single piece block?
Much more manageable to cast, especially with the lost wax process. I got enough patterns to make 2 sets of cylinders. By doing it in halves I now have 4 chances to get 2 good castings, rather than 2 chances to get 1 good casting.
Anthony Duarte
http://www.EccentricEngineer.com
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Anthony, what size can a guy realistically go up to lost wax casting cylinder halves? Have a 2.5” scale K27 underway as you might recall. Too big?
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:59 am Anthony, what size can a guy realistically go up to lost wax casting cylinder halves? Have a 2.5” scale K27 underway as you might recall. Too big?
Depends on the capabilities of the foundry. At that size I would look into having sand molds 3D printed and pouring them traditionally.

I really should have had all the gating printed into the pattern, but hindsight is a hell of a thing.
Anthony Duarte
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

I'd imagine the economics of doing it in that way start to break even with more traditional methods once a certain size is hit. Particularly lost wax I'd think would get very expensive for something like a 2.5 mikado cylinder block. but then again the price to hire a pattern maker to make a 2.5 scale k27 pattern set would probably be north of 5K.
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Berkman wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:53 am but then again the price to hire a pattern maker to make a 2.5 scale k27 pattern set would probably be north of 5K.
Extremely north of 5k. That's why I recommended having the sand molds 3D printed. No patterns involved.
Anthony Duarte
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

For sure, ya it's a super interesting alternative. Any ballpark of what the mike cylinders were to print? I guess the downside would be if you only had 2 halves printed then one failed etc, so there would have to be some hedging of bets, or I guess could always just have another printed.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Foundries involved in precision casting have at their disposal shell molding, where the wax pattern isn't invested, but encapsulated in ceramic slurry and dipped in sand. That process is repeated until a substantial shell is developed; at which time the wax is eliminated in preparation for pouring the resulting mold. The layered shell may or may not be further supported by dry sand when being cast. Larger pieces can be cast by this process, due in part to the lack of need for a large flask. A die for creating the wax pattern may be required.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I investigated having the cylinders printed from sand and the casting poured for my 3" Berkshire project, sticker shock would be an understatment. I was quoted $16-20,000 for one casting.

Nyle
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

LIALLEGHENY wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:38 pm I investigated having the cylinders printed from sand and the casting poured for my 3" Berkshire project, sticker shock would be an understatment. I was quoted $16-20,000 for one casting.

Nyle
What did you submit to get your quote? If you leave any CAD work for them to do then the price is astronomical. If you give them a CAD model of a complete cope and drag with all the cores gating and risers so that all they have to do is print it, then it’s pretty reasonable.
Anthony Duarte
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I would supply only the CAD model of the cylinders. They would have had to do the rest. Even at half the cost it would have been more than I would have gone for.

I've decided to build my cylinders from steel and sleeve them....much more economical for me.

Nyle
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

If I remember correctly I had my 1.6” SP 0-6-0 drivers quoted at $12,000 when I sent in just the driver files. When I sent them the completed mold files it was $900.
Anthony Duarte