Rebuilding the Central of Georgia #408

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

John_S

Re: Rebuilding the Central of Georgia #408

Post by John_S »

Finally got the 20 minutes I needed (CSPPRY fall meet, honey-dos, etc) to get the boiler back on the chassis. All I needed was to grind off about 1/32 of the back right corner of the mudring so it would clear that corner of the ash pan. The ash pan was a little mis-shapen and higher in that corner.
Boiler on chassis!
Boiler on chassis!
Boiler on chassis!
Boiler on chassis!
John_S

Post by John_S »

Making progress, just haven't had time to post this week. Should have some photos this weekend.

Got the water glass installed, making up all the fittings for blowdowns, safeties, etc., and am working on the turret piping. Fun stuff! Glad this is going back together now!
John_S

Post by John_S »

Finally back at it today.

Working on boiler wrapper spacers, modifying the wrapper, and adding more ports to the turret.
Bending wrapper spacers
Bending wrapper spacers
Adding more ports to the original turret
Adding more ports to the original turret
Wrapper spacers ready to be welded to the boiler tube
Wrapper spacers ready to be welded to the boiler tube
I'll tack weld the center of the spacers first, then pull them down and tack the ends. Makes me wish I had a good, heavy-duty slip roll in my shop.

Once the wrapper is reinstalled I can start all the piping!
John_S

Post by John_S »

Work continues, but slowly lately. I'll have an update in a few days. Apologies for the delay :)
110HLW

Post by 110HLW »

Hi John, it's been a few days, any updates?
The LORD first, family second, than live Steam --------and life will be good!
Shakeyjake36

Post by Shakeyjake36 »

John, when you welded the front flue sheet, did you use an open root for the first pass?
John_S

Post by John_S »

Good lord how time flies by these days... what a busy, hectic, crazy holiday season it was for me!

So anyway ... hah!

Shakeyjake36, yes. I did two root passes with 6011 before I did a cover pass with 7018 on the front flue sheet.

She's starting to come back together now.
Smokebox wrapped up, literally
Smokebox wrapped up, literally
Supply lines installed and wrapped with exhaust wrap for extra protection. The little copper line going from the tee to the top of the smokebox is the feed line to the snifter, which on this loco sits atop the smokebox right behind the stack.
Stack installed
Stack installed
The stack extension, stack base, and stack are finally back where they belong!
Salvaging old to make new
Salvaging old to make new
I salvaged most of the original throttle lever. It previously was just a lever with a 45deg bend in it. I straightened it out and fabricated the quadrant. You can also see some of the piping is getting done; right hand injector is all done as is the blower valve and line. The tee in the blower line is so you can connect an air compressor to fire up from rather than using a rattle-cage-fan on the stack. The line goes down to a small valve hidden behind the injector.
Domes, bell, and peanut whistle reinstalled.
Domes, bell, and peanut whistle reinstalled.
Both domes and the bell back on again. We have a large whistle for this loco now that will go under the running board, but we just had to keep the peanut whistle on the side of the steam dome.

She runs on air again which was almost as fun as getting my first locomotive on air!

Hopefully I'll be posting updates MUCH more often now that things are back to normal around here at the house.
tyleire

Post by tyleire »

Happy to see you back! Your rebuild is one of my favorites on this board. What kind of paint did you use for the boiler jacket and smokebox?
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Hope to see that locomotive at the Mid-South Live Steamers' 50th anniversary meet in May! Hope you'll bring a bunch of locomotives and come on up.

Since the locomotive was originally built by one of our earliest members, Bud Bartholomew, it has a special place up here. We'd love to see her on her 'home rails' once more.
John_S

Post by John_S »

tyleire wrote:Happy to see you back! Your rebuild is one of my favorites on this board. What kind of paint did you use for the boiler jacket and smokebox?
The jacket was just high temp primer and then Rustoleum satin black.

The smokebox and stack are painted with "cast iron" color exhaust header paint. This was a recommendation from Marty Knox.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Pontiacguy1 wrote:Hope to see that locomotive at the Mid-South Live Steamers' 50th anniversary meet in May! Hope you'll bring a bunch of locomotives and come on up.

Since the locomotive was originally built by one of our earliest members, Bud Bartholomew, it has a special place up here. We'd love to see her on her 'home rails' once more.
We're planning on being there with this locomotive and my mogul. I'm pretty sure Bill Bryan will be there with one of Art's locomotives as well.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Awesome! I am hoping that there are quite a few locomotives that we've not seen at Mid-South in quite a number of years that will be there. I know that Art Olds had a mogul, a consolidation, and the narrow gauge 0-4-2 that I personally remember seeing there over the years. I knew that Bill has the 0-4-2. Who owns the Consolidation?

I'm hoping that Larry Taylor will bring Bud Bartholomew's 4-4-2 Atlantic over for the meet as well. If that happens, both of Bud's locomotives will be in attendance.

Glad to hear that you are coming!