SP E27 4-4-0 and WP 165 0-6-0

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

GS14403

SP E27 4-4-0 and WP 165 0-6-0

Post by GS14403 »

My dad and his friend Fidel are currently building a pair of Southern Pacific E-27 class 4-4-0's. They are also finishing a Western Pacific 165 class 0-6-0. On the rare occasion when I get by his shop I will take pictures of his progress and will post them here. Most likely there will be weeks or even months between updates. So here to start things off are a few of the first photo's taken. I will also, on occasion, post other ongoing projects that can be found in his shop to this thread as well.

The driver patterns have been made and the drivers have been cast. The axles are case hardened shaft that will ride in sealed needle bearings. The return crank is mounted to the crankpin and the pin is pressed into the driver using an alignment fixture to position the return crank. The fixture has pins for both drivers installed but only one is used at a time depending on the return crank circle diameter. No keyways on the drivers and axles are needed as the drivers are pressed on the axles using a quartering jig. The drivers on my GS-1 are installed the same way. I use the same type of hardened shafting on my lead truck axles and after 22 years of running there is no signs of wear on the axles.

Donald
Attachments
Otto Perry photograph as found in the Denver Public Library.
Otto Perry photograph as found in the Denver Public Library.
Driver with return crank, axles and axle boxes are also shown.
Driver with return crank, axles and axle boxes are also shown.
The fixture for aligning the return crank. It has been modified to align the return cranks on a WP 0-6-0 that they are also building.
The fixture for aligning the return crank. It has been modified to align the return cranks on a WP 0-6-0 that they are also building.
The other driver, parts for the lead truck, parts for the fabricated cylinder block and a cart full of stuff.
The other driver, parts for the lead truck, parts for the fabricated cylinder block and a cart full of stuff.
My dad with one of the E-27 frames.
My dad with one of the E-27 frames.
GS14403

Re: SP E27 4-4-0 and WP 165 0-6-0

Post by GS14403 »

OK, have a few more photo's ready.

My dad inherited the 0-6-0 many years ago. He always wanted me to take over but I held off wanting to get the GS finished before tackling any new projects. He and Fidel decided they couldn't wait any longer and are now working to get this locomotive running as well.

The drivers were machined but not mounted on axles. Looks like this engine will also get the case hardened shafts for axles so the keyway in the photo is redundant.

Rumor has it that some lost wax molds may be made for several of the special shaped brake levers for the lead truck.

Donald
Attachments
Main driver for the WP 0-6-0.
Main driver for the WP 0-6-0.
I believe this will be the cylinder block for the 0-6-0. The WP Mikado in the background.
I believe this will be the cylinder block for the 0-6-0. The WP Mikado in the background.
Aluminum pattern for Andrews trucks for the SP tenders. Plans are for a rectangular tender as seen in the photo for one of the 4-4-0's and a Vanderbilt tender for the other.
Aluminum pattern for Andrews trucks for the SP tenders. Plans are for a rectangular tender as seen in the photo for one of the 4-4-0's and a Vanderbilt tender for the other.
Lead truck parts for the 4-4-0.
Lead truck parts for the 4-4-0.
Good progress on the lead truck.
Good progress on the lead truck.
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Here are some photos that I took while I was at Eds' shop doing some work on my project last week. The brake hangers were CNC machined and massaged by file, sand paper and glass beaded. The painted gray Brake Hangers in the 3rd and 4th photo are made from 3 pieces. They are bolted and soldered together. The springs are made from individual leaves and assembled.

Vic
Attachments
Pilot truck prior to welding swing motion
Pilot truck prior to welding swing motion
Pilot truck
Pilot truck
Main frame spring rigging
Main frame spring rigging
Main frame brake hanger boiler mount
Main frame brake hanger boiler mount
Main frame brake hanger
Main frame brake hanger
For Duty and Humanity
Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

Don,

Your dad was nice enough to have me over to the shop to quarter my drivers. Twice, actually. The first time everything worked perfectly, but when I got home, I realized one of my driver bearings had frozen. It was time to replace them after 30+ years of service! After I pressed the wheels off and changed out the bearings, he had me back to re-quarter the drivers. On my first visit, I didn't think to take any pictures. On my return trip, I got a few. Your initial post described the jig well, but these might help to illustrate.
Attachments
iPhoneImages 737-1.jpg
iPhoneImages 738-1.jpg
iPhoneImages 739-1.jpg
iPhoneImages 744-1.jpg
iPhoneImages 746-1.jpg
Building a Fitchburg Northern (build log): www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=107249

My YouTube Videos: www.youtube.com/user/donhost4449/videos
Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

It is amazing how many projects your dad has going at the same time! This shot has 8 locomotive projects in it, I believe. The second shot is one of the lubricator boxes on the 0-6-0 project. An impressive detail that I have never seen on a live steam locomotive before. The last shot is of a boiler for a locomotive that hopefully will be hitting the rails, soon!

Chris Donhost
Vacaville, CA
Attachments
iPhoneImages 750-1.jpg
iPhoneImages 757-1.jpg
iPhoneImages 758-1.jpg
Building a Fitchburg Northern (build log): www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=107249

jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Donald,

Now I get it. Your Dad is modeling SP Sacramento Shops in 1/8 scale. The locos are just part of the scene.
John Brock
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

jcbrock wrote:Donald,

Now I get it. Your Dad is modeling SP Sacramento Shops in 1/8 scale. The locos are just part of the scene.
OK, let me see if I get this right. Currently in his shop locomotives that are running are the Cab-Forward and the WP Mikado. The GS-4 was run one time back in 2002 with a tender borrowed from a GS-1 class locomotive. Vic, the builder, is trying to get the jacketing on it and hopefully get it running again. Locomotives under construction are 15" gauge Shay, NP Z-8 4-6-6-4 Challenger, ATSF 2900 Class 4-8-4, WP 0-6-0, SP 4-4-0. At one time a PRR Q2 was in progress and I believe somewhere in the shop parts for it exist as well. There is someone's Diesel powered locomotive being stored in his shop and hundreds upon hundreds of wheels which came off the CNC lathe. There may be other projects but these are the major ones.

Chris, thanks for the quartering jig photo's. Looks like it may be time for a new one as I can see it is running out of room for any other crankpin locations.

Added a couple more shots of the E-27 lead truck.

Donald
Attachments
E27-0001.jpg
E27-0002.jpg
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

One of the neat things about going to Ed's shop is that you never know exactly what you will find when you walk through the doors. Its fun to watch the progress of all the builds going on.
Ward
Attachments
Part of the 15" Shay
Part of the 15" Shay
Cab forward 4242 patiently awaits for her next assignment
Cab forward 4242 patiently awaits for her next assignment
An older pic of the Mikado nearing completion
An older pic of the Mikado nearing completion
Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

GS14403 wrote: At one time a PRR Q2 was in progress and I believe somewhere in the shop parts for it exist as well.

Donald
I think the frame is in the shop, I know the lead truck is in the office, as are many other parts and plans. That thing would be a monster on rails...

Chris

SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Here are a couple of better pics of some of the projects around the shop.
Attachments
Fidel and Ed are making fast progress on the E-27
Fidel and Ed are making fast progress on the E-27
Mike in back, 0-6-0 in front
Mike in back, 0-6-0 in front
Engine for the 15" gauge Shay
Engine for the 15" gauge Shay
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

As some of you may know, Ed has some awesome castings for a dummy compressor. Nothing like having your own full-sized compressor lounging behind the shop for referencing those little details though.
Attachments
compressor head.jpg
Yea, the compressor body is lurking in the bushes
Yea, the compressor body is lurking in the bushes
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

SF2900 wrote:Here are a couple of better pics of some of the projects around the shop.
Hey SF2900 and Chris, thanks for keeping this thread alive. For those who may be interested there are some videos of the WP Mikado in action at the 2014 SVLSRM Fall meet posted by Steve Kendall. You can find them here on the Sacramento Valley Live Steamers website.

http://www.sgkendall.net/svls_fall_meet_2014.html

Look at North Curve (actually it is at Thorley Berm, looks kike the titles are mixed up), for the Mike and look at Cobbie Creek and MP36 for the GS-1. Either click on the play video button or click on the individual movies to download that particular scene.

Donald