GS-1 Tender, finishing up the hard way

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

GS14403

GS-1 Tender, finishing up the hard way

Post by GS14403 »

Well, I am back. The engine project has stalled for a while. Some research needs done and as soon as the info becomes available, or I can finally travel long distances, that part of the project will continue. Meanwhile started in on the tender. Getting ready to remove the oil tank but decided to make and mount the brackets and lifting ears first. Makes sense so the tank doesn't have to be taken out, put back in, taken out.....

Donald
Attachments
Ground a 1/4" wide by 3/4" tall tool for machining the groove. 395 rpm and light feed and it worked like a charm.
Ground a 1/4" wide by 3/4" tall tool for machining the groove. 395 rpm and light feed and it worked like a charm.
A trip to the mill made rounds into squares.
A trip to the mill made rounds into squares.
Two down two to go.
Two down two to go.
Another blank area getting much neglected details
Another blank area getting much neglected details
GS14403

Re: GS-1 Tender, finishing up the hard way

Post by GS14403 »

Well, I certainly didn't expect this. One of the things that kept deterring finishing up the tender was my perception that working inside the front tool boxes was going to be a royal pain. So you can imagine my elation when every part on the front end came apart. Of course now other ideas thought impractical will now have to be re-evaluated.

Donald
Attachments
Tender -110.jpg
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Donald,
I envision a compressor, a couple of gel cell batteries wired in series and custom air tank fitting in there quite nicely.

Vic
For Duty and Humanity
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Well Vic, maybe. Going to try to make the front panel removable so the bottom of the oil tank can be accessed. Time will tell if this will be successful.

Meanwhile, the front panel had holes in the wrong place and the rivet holes were drilled for 1/8" rivets. Think I will go to 3/32" rivets and drill holes in the correct places this time around. Used the old panel as a template to saw out the new piece. Made a plate for the rotary table with some strategically drilled and tapped 3/8-16 holes. Managed to get the outline and tool box openings finished. Next comes the fun part, rivet holes.

Donald
Attachments
R-GS-1 Tender-121.jpg
R-GS-1 Tender-122.jpg
R-GS-1 Tender-125.jpg
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Finished drilling the front plate and made and drilled the lower bar to attach the plate to the lower deck. There are several holes that needed welded up and holes re-drilled in the proper places in the lower deck. Made the jack bosses for the front beam. The tender buffer base is drawn up and hopefully will appear this weekend. Machining the spherical parts a and b as shown in the diagram attached will prove to be an interesting project.

I was offered access to some photographs of the 5021 tender that resides at the Pomona Fair grounds. The photographs show details not normally seen including the buffer assembly. What a godsend. I would be interested if anyone else has photographs of the SP 5021 locomotive and tender, especially close ups, details and sketches or drawings made of the tender and booster parts.

Donald
Attachments
Milling the face angle of the jack pad. A 25 degree angle made easy work of positioning the part.
Milling the face angle of the jack pad. A 25 degree angle made easy work of positioning the part.
Jack pads in place, front plate sitting in place.
Jack pads in place, front plate sitting in place.
R-Tender Buffer.jpg
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Today I found the base for the buffer assembly, it was hidden in a block of Aluminum. All I had to do was to remove the metal that wasn't part of the buffer. Looks like it is now time to make the wedge and intermediate block.

The digital angle gauge as seen in one of the photos is one sold in woodworking stores for setting saw blade angles. I have found it useful for non-critical angles like the angles on the outer ears of the buffer base.

I will occasionally be posting photographs taken by Ken Rinehart to help illustrate my efforts. Ken was granted access that many of us will never get so please appreciate his efforts and respect his copyrights.

Donald
Attachments
A good Aluminum end mill can make a pile of chips in short order.
A good Aluminum end mill can make a pile of chips in short order.
A digital gauge can make setting up angles a snap.
A digital gauge can make setting up angles a snap.
An 1/8" diameter Carbide endmill was used for the small wedge slot.
An 1/8" diameter Carbide endmill was used for the small wedge slot.
Another part filling in the gaps.
Another part filling in the gaps.
Ken was kind enough to not only share his photo's of the prototype tender with me but to also allow me to share some of them with you.
Ken was kind enough to not only share his photo's of the prototype tender with me but to also allow me to share some of them with you.
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

More progress, made the wedge and the adjustable chafing plate. The angle bracket and tee bolt that was used to remove the wedge should finish up this part of the project. Giving thought to making the floating chafing block from rubber or Teflon if I decide to put that part in.

Donald
Attachments
Adjustable chafing plate and wedge installed in the chafing plate pocket.
Adjustable chafing plate and wedge installed in the chafing plate pocket.
The plate and wedge.
The plate and wedge.
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

The angle and bolt for the wedge are made and installed. Should have pictures in the next update to this thread.

I have the parts for the oil line fittings drawn up and starting on the spanner nuts first. Decided that the oil line is too prominent to omit so a working set of fittings are needed. One possible problem that is of concern to me is the cotter pins that hold the spanner nuts in place. Installing and removing them in the steaming bay looks like it could be a bit finicky each time the locomotive and tender are joined or separated. Maybe something under the cab can be worked in.

Donald
Attachments
Milling the ears and drilling the cotter pin holes using the rotary table on the milling machine.
Milling the ears and drilling the cotter pin holes using the rotary table on the milling machine.
Part of the oil line on the SP 2467 in the CSRM.
Part of the oil line on the SP 2467 in the CSRM.
The first attempt at the swivel body looks too thin and long. A new drawing was made up that should resemble the prototype a little closer.
The first attempt at the swivel body looks too thin and long. A new drawing was made up that should resemble the prototype a little closer.
Ken Rinehart-DSCN7157.jpg
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

All the parts for the swivel bodies are made and 2 have been silver Soldered together. All the retaining nuts and rings for the cotter pin retainers are also made.

Donald
Attachments
Turning the longer swivel body to size. It will be parted, turned around, drilled and threaded.
Turning the longer swivel body to size. It will be parted, turned around, drilled and threaded.
Drilling the hole to 29/64", it will be reamed to size after Soldered together. Threads are 11/16-32.
Drilling the hole to 29/64", it will be reamed to size after Soldered together. Threads are 11/16-32.
Two bodies Silver Soldered together. Two more to go.
Two bodies Silver Soldered together. Two more to go.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Could you give a bit more info/show a couple more photos of the collet in "R-GS-1 Tender-147"?
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Dick_Morris wrote:Could you give a bit more info/show a couple more photos of the collet in "R-GS-1 Tender-147"?
The collet holder is a homemade unit using some of the 12L14 that I can get from the shop my brother works at. The material was machined so the outside diameter of the body would just fit into the 6 inch chuck used on the rotary table. There are 4 flats milled in the body, 3 at 120 degrees apart and one 180 degrees from the reference flat. The reference flat is the one that sits against the number one jaw in the lathe chuck. The 180 degree flat is so the holder can be mounted horizontally in a mill vise. A 5-40 set screw keeps the collets from rotating. A cap at the rear has a 1/2" hole and 3/4" hex nut for tightening. I use a Makita impact driver to tighten and loosen the retainer nut to the collet. 3/4 inch hex was chosen as that is the size of the milling machine drawbar and that size socket is a regular part of the Makita. If there ever comes a time that the 1/2" hole in the cap is too small then a new cap can be made with a larger nut. I have been using this for several years now and the threads on the cap are showing some signs of wear so a new cap may need made in the near future. If I finally do wear this one out I will see if I can find a piece of 4140 for the next one.

The reason I made the thing in the first place is it is difficult for me to remove and replace the chuck on the lathe for collet work. If I am doing a lot of collet work the chuck will come off and the regular collet holder fixture will be installed. Otherwise for most of my work this has been a real handy tool and has earned its keep many times over.

I have found that this holder will runout less than a thousandth of an inch so it does run truer than the chuck that it is mounted in. It is also very handy on the rotary table as well.

I have attached a couple of photos that already exist. If I get out to the shop tomorrow I will better document the holder and post the results here.

Donald
Attachments
In the mill on the rotary table, the flat on the flange is the number one chuck jaw locator, easy to see.
In the mill on the rotary table, the flat on the flange is the number one chuck jaw locator, easy to see.
The retaining nut for the collets, 3/4 hex size. The 5-40 set screw has since been shortened so it sits flush with the body.
The retaining nut for the collets, 3/4 hex size. The 5-40 set screw has since been shortened so it sits flush with the body.
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

The rest of the wedge project for the buffer assembly.

The holder for 5C collets, assembled and apart.

The oil flex assembly, tender end. The locomotive end will also need the same assembly.

Donald
Attachments
R-GS-1 Tender-152.jpg
R-GS-1 Tender-154.jpg
R-GS-1 Tender-155.jpg
R-GS-1 Tender-157.jpg