Boiler and finish-out advice

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Oktrainboys

Boiler and finish-out advice

Post by Oktrainboys »

Hello all....very much enjoy this site.....my son and I picked up an unfinished 1.5", 7.5" English 4-6-0 Highlander (black 5) from a deceased gentleman in California this past week, dovetailing in a day (Wednesday) at the TM triannual. We are back home in OKC, OK. at Mill Creek Railway now. Can anyone offer some good advice for a boiler maker (I have exact plans needed) and a finisher for this locomotive? The chassis is 95% completed to a high standard. I would be most interested in a recommendation for a boilermaker and then a finisher machinist within, say 500 miles of OKC as I really do not want to drive all the way to Wayne Godshall's! Thanks to all for any advise....
kenrinc

Re: Boiler and finish-out advice

Post by kenrinc »

If your involved with Mill Creek RR then I suggest you get involved and find someone within that club. There are many competent boiler makers one of which you've already mentioned. Marty Knox at Ridge boiler should need no introduction. If you can't finish the locomotive yourself then again, you need to be involved in a club. Ask around within the club $.02

Ken
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

Hi Ken and thanks.....but We are not with Mill Creek Railroad, but rather Mill Creek Railway in OKC, OK.

So, just to be more clear, We are looking for perhaps someone qualified in TEXAS, KANSAS, OKLAHOMA or MISSOURI to finish out this locomotive....I have plans. As a last resort, we will go to Godshall, but am currently sending out feelers in hope of finding someone qualified close by.....knowing that there are a lot of talented folks on this board who might be able to provide information.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Have you talked to Vance Nickerson, down in Texas?
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

Thanks for that tip, Marty....Tim up in the St. Louis area has recently made an offer to help....working with him on the details now.....but it is always good to know talented folks nearby!
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

If you get Tim to finish that out, you will get a good job indeed! He does top-notch work.
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

Two thumbs up on that comment......drove 4,300 miles including a side trip to the TM triannual to pick up this nearly finished locomotive and tender chassis because, like the rest of you on this board, bringing another operable steam locomotive into the world from a stalled project is well worth it and is a worthy endeavor!! Thanks again....