New York Central Streamlined Hudson

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: New York Central Streamlined Hudson

Post by JBodenmann »

Stoker eng.injector.jpg
Hello My Friends
The new shop is mostly done and now it's time to get back to work. Here is some of what has been happening. One little trick that I have developed is to hide an injector in the stoker engine. This type stoker engine had a large exhaust steam line that came out from under the engine and ran forward along the fire man's side under the running boards. This bit of piping makes a great injector delivery line on our models. This stoker engine is made up from a casting set I have available. Something else that has been worked on are the booster steam lines. It's been a while since I posted here and things have changed….So my pictures are a bit out of order, I'll get it figured out…I think. Oh yes I also have the booster steam lines available. No shortage of things to do!
Jack
BoosterPiping1.jpg
BoosterPiping.jpg
Stoker Engine21.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Your piping details of the water connections are looking great again! What a pitty that they are almost hidden to visitors under your locomotive's back end.
No space for an injektor inside the stoker engine yet in my A: It gets a working stoker engine which will be needed to deliver coal some day ...
Asteamhead
Love4Steam

Post by Love4Steam »

Welcome back! Great to see your posts again. I hope you are getting settled into the new shop.

Doug
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
It's good to be back posting here on the board. I have been really up to my hub caps setting up the new shop. It's not quite done yet, but when it is I'll post some photos. This week I am mainly setting up my new wood shop. It's been almost thirty years since I had a proper wood shop. I had a new building built just for it. This week I am building cabinets for the model shop and the wood shop. Too much fun!
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

BoosterThrotle1.jpg
BoosterThrottle2.jpg
Booster Throttle3.jpg
Hello My Friends
Here is the start of a little trinket for the Hudson. This is the air operated throttle (dummy) for the booster engine. It will fit in the big steam line on the fire man's side that runs between the valve chest and the booster engine. This is one of them delightful little puzzles. Make some shapes with the lathe and mill, some silver solder and there you go. One little trick that makes parts like this really pop on the finished engine is to make the threaded caps, plugs, and packing nuts separate. Take them off when you paint the main body and leave them shiny brass. After painting fit up the shiny bits for a jewelry like effect. This is as far as progress progressed today. There are still a few pieces to make. The operating lever that he air cylinder connects to. That is the air operating cylinder laying there with it's four #1-72 bolts holding the cap on. It will be mounted alongside the vertical cylinder and will have a tiny compression fitting for it's 1/16" air line. More to come.
See ya' later alligator
Jack
BoosterThrottle4.jpg
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Jack,

Wow, im speechless, awesome.
Your work is outstandig.

Keep it coming.

All the very best
Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Throttle30.jpg
Throttle31.jpg
Throttle32.jpg
Hello My Friends
Thank you Chris. Here is an update on the booster throttle.In the top photo we have all the little bits arranged next to our old friend the Ticonderoga #1 pencil. Most things start out with a pencil, or at least they used to. Things still do for a Luddite like me. In the second photo down we now have the throttle gooped up with silver solder flux and laying on a piece of fire brick with bits of solder here and there. I always put the solder on before applying heat, sometimes adding a little once things are heated up, and remember when soldering, gravity is your friend. The bottom two photos show our puzzle piece all stuck together. The nuts and bolts are all #1-72, holding the caps on the top and bottom and also in the dummy flanged connectors. The piping is 7/16". When making little trinkets like this, try to break it down into shapes that you can make and then stick together. Most of the assembly was done with silver solder, but there were some second operations done with soft solder, like sticking on the vertical actuating cylinder. As I have said before, a delightful little puzzle.
Happy Model Building
Jack
Throttle33.jpg
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Beautiful! And thank you for sharing your building process. One question. How do you keep the flame of the torch from melting the solder into a ball and having it roll away?
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Streamliner.jpg
CabRt.jpg
CabLeft.jpg
Hello My Friends
To answer Brian's question, you should heat up the work piece and avoid directing the torch at the solder if you can. Try to heat the work piece evenly and allow it to melt the solder instead of the flame. Heat control is important. here are a few photos of the engine taken recently.
Jack
Hudson SKBX.jpg
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Simply gorgeous! Thank you for the Silver soldering tip!
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Brian;

To add to what Jack said, get the black flux and the cadmium-alloy silver solder. The latter flows better and the black flux doesn't burn off yet is easier to clean off after you're done. Some folks worry about the cadmium in the silver solder but if you use common sense you'll be fine.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Some folks worry about the cadmium in the silver solder but if you use common sense you'll be fine.
I'm inclined to agree. If you're concerned about the cadmium fumes, simply place a small fan at your side, so it moves air away from you. Don't place it at your back, as that can create eddies that swirl the fumes your direction.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.