New York Central Streamlined Hudson

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: New York Central Streamlined Hudson

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Asteamhead I must compliment you on your very fine work. You are a true craftsman and your work is most excellent!
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a few snappies of the Hudson. The skyline casing has pretty much been finished up and work can now proceed on the turret casing. New York Central Hudsons had a very distinctive full width casing. I'm not really sure why but I think it was to keep things from freezing up in the winter. Anyway it's a cool feature and a delightful little puzzle to make. As usual some card stock patterns were made and then transferred to #18 Gauge sheet metal. Here you can see them held up for a look. The engineers side is different from the fireman's side. The engineers side hides a lifting injector and it's a bit of a shame to hide that beautiful Superscale Simplex injector. We must do as we must! Next up will be the main side sheets of the casing with their gaggle of hinges and latches. There is also a fiddly bit where the casing dives in to make some clearance for the cab front doors. There are also a couple of access doors on top. Too much fun! The last photo is just a shot down the top of the casing.
More to come.
Jack
Attachments
Turret Casing1.jpg
TurretCasing2.jpg
SkylineCasing30.jpg
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hello Jack,

im always speechless when im reading about
your progress on the Hudson.
Your work is an Inspiration for my coming Parts of my J 611.
The sheet work is outstanding. Thank you for all the informative
postings.

All the Best
Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
First off I must thank Chris for the compliment. I greatly appreciate you kind words. Here is what has been happening. The turret casings have been made and something was needed to attach them to the skyline casing at the top. In the top photo we have a small bracket that was made. A strip of sheet metal was offset and then stuck to the skyline casing with some #4-40 machine screws. This will hold the turret casing tightly against the skyline casing. The second photo shows the turret casing with a lip welded on. This lip will slide behind the offset piece on the skyline casing. The third photo shows the turret casing in place. #4-40 model bolts through the running boards will hold it down. Photos 4 and 5 show the door that will access the injector. Most of the turret casing is #20 gauge, the doors are #26 gauge.
Attachments
TurretCasing21.jpg
TurretCasing22.jpg
TurretCasing23.jpg
TurretCasing24.jpg
TurretCasing25.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple things that you may find useful. There has been some discussion lately about soldering piping, so here are a couple photos. In the top photo we have some 7/16" tubing for an injector overflow line. The tube and fitting have been well cleaned and fluxed with stay clean flux, ( it comes with stay bright solder ) and set on apiece of fire brick. If you look closely you will notice a small piece of stay bright solder placed at the joint. This solder is sold as silver solder but it melts at a much lower temperature than full on silver solder. This is good as most other silver solder requires way too high a temperature and will anneal our delicate fittings making them soft and easily deformed. Very little solder is needed, surprisingly little. The second photo shows the joint after heating evenly with a bernzomatic torch. The solder should slurp into the joint. After fiddling with this technique you will get a feel for how much solder is needed. Another benefit of using this solder is that it can be easily undone. It works great on both slip fit and threaded fittings. Photos three and four show a little trick that I just discovered. This is one of the strap hinges that was used for the doors on the turret casing. As the doors overlay the surface they cover, the hinges must be offset by the thickness of the doors. For many years I would put shims under one leaf of the hinge. Then it dawned on me one day that the hinge could be offset. Funny how you sometimes do things a certain way for years before the little light goes on… So half the hinge was sat on a piece of material the thickness of the needed offset, and a piece of hard wood was shaped up as shown. One good smack with the hammer and Bob's yer' uncle. A slick little offset hinge!
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
Injector1.jpg
Injector2.jpg
Hinge1.jpg
Hinge2.jpg
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Hello Jack,

Would it be possible to show the solder and flux and possibly provide an online ordering page so we can get the exact copy. Amazon shows a 3/64" dia. 1/2 oz that seems to match your description. Is this the size you are using or have you a source with a more that 1/2 oz of solder.

Thanks for sharing your work. Keeps the rest of us striving to match your standards.

Donald
sabin

Post by sabin »

GS14403 wrote:Hello Jack,

Would it be possible to show the solder and flux and possibly provide an online ordering page so we can get the exact copy. Amazon shows a 3/64" dia. 1/2 oz that seems to match your description. Is this the size you are using or have you a source with a more that 1/2 oz of solder.

Thanks for sharing your work. Keeps the rest of us striving to match your standards.

Donald
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stay-Brite-Silv ... 2395769507
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Sabin,

Thanks for the info. I have some 4% Silver content solder and was not sure if it is the same as Jack uses. Now I know.

Donald
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Been busy, here is a photo you might like.
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
Hudson2.jpg
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Hello Jack, Absouletly beautiful looking and beautiful work. I hope my jacket and skyline casing come out as nice .

Victor
For Duty and Humanity
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Scary beautiful!
~RN
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

she's starting to look great jack, I see you got the oval logo on the pilot skirt. very nice. keep up the good work.