HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

EnidPuceflange

Re: HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Post by EnidPuceflange »

lucius Gale wrote:Hello all! I am new here but I just joined because I am considering purchasing the Reeves Hunslet set of drawings and package deal castings. I am looking for information from anyone who has possibly used their castings and also comments about the drawings. I have machine shop experience and own my own home shop including a Grizzly 12" lathe and Charter Oak (very large RF45 type) milling machine and lots of tooling. Would the Reeves castings generate a machine about the size of the one in this thread? I am located in the U.S. and the track that is close to me is 7 1/2 gauge so I would need to build the loco slightly wider than the 7 1/4 gauge the plans are designed and I would appreciate any thoughts on that. Thank you in advance. L.G.
Hi Lucius,
I'm in the US and building (albeit rather more slowly than Fred) a Milner 4" Hunslet, and mine is 7 1/2" gauge as well. The biggest hurdle I found was getting the cylinders machined - in the end I chickened out and had them machined for me, for the cost of a bottle of whiskey :)
There's quite a lot of useful information on the English 7 1/4 society forum - it's a popular locomotive over there, and Station Road Steam have several examples in their archive with photos showing some of the tough to work out stuff.
Where are you located?
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Lucius,
Without wishing to derail or hijack Fred's thread, the Reeves Hunslet (Elidir) is to 3 inch scale (1/4 full size) whereas the Milner Hunslet is to 4 inch scale (1/3 full size). Hence the Reeves Hunslet is smaller than Fred's but is still a good-sized loco in my view.

I am building Elidir in its original 7 1/4 inch gauge form and can confirm that the castings are of good quality. Reeves castings are now extremely expensive however, and even more so once you've factored in the shipping to the US, and so you may want to consider that if comparing against other designs with US-sourced castings.

Elidir is not designed for 7 1/2" gauge but it would simple to alter to 7 1/2" by reducing the width of the wheels and then spacing them each 1/8" wider. Being narrow gauge, the wheel treads are wider than standard gauge designs.There would be other minor modifications such as the brake hangers, but that is equally straightforward.

More info on my Elidir project can be found by searching the thread "A Long Term Project".

Good luck,
Steve
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

Actually Reeves supply the castings/drawings for both the 3" scale 'Elidir' and the 4" scale 'Milner Hunslet' - hence the confusion. As both are designed for 7 1/4" gauge the former is 'underscale' for the gauge scaling out at nearly 2' 6" (the real ones were 1' 10 3/4" or 1' 11 5/8") and the latter is slightly 'undergauge'. I have a 4" scale one which is quite a big lump but I like being able to sit in rather than on the tender as one does with Elidir. However there are known problems with the Milner design such as constricted valve chests and valve events as designed. One of our club members has an Elidir and it has always 'punched well above its weight' pulling as well if not better than my 4" scale one. Best of luck with your project Lucius.
Ray.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I corrected the valve timing problem with the help of John Baguley and it runs very well with no problems in the steam chest. The Milner engine also is reported to have a wet stack due to the mass of iron between the steam chest and cylinder. I corrected this with a superheater as described in these build pages. The stack runs totally dry unless I overfill the boiler.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
lucius Gale

Post by lucius Gale »

I ordered the complete casting set with laser cut frames and drawings in 7 1/4 inch from Reeves yesterday. I am no good at neticette (neticut? whatever). Should I add on my experiences (unboxing, letting the parts rust in the corner with the other projects etc. :-) here or should I start a new thread? This looks like the goto thread for US built 7 1/2 Hunslets but maybe I should start a new one? Fred V I am particularly interested in your thoughts and will comply as advised? Thanks again guys and I really will try to make this one of my many completed projects instead of some of the started and not completed ones. I hope to add experiences to What Fred and others have done. I think Fred has the only completed 7 1/2 in the U.S. at this time?
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Great! I assume then that you got the 4" scale Milner design? Do start another thread to stop confusion.

There are quite a few Hunslets in the country. I know of one in Atlanta, Lexington, south Fl. Another that I've heard of but don't know the location.

Where are you located? I'm in Pensacola, Fl.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
lucius Gale

Post by lucius Gale »

OK I will start a new thread when the parts get here, 2 weeks?

I'm in Washington State. There is a 7 1/2 gauge track about 40 miles from my house so I will have to join the club at some point after I get the horse in front of the cart.

Reeves said this was the 4" scale Milner build. They seem pretty good to deal with. I talked to Katy there.

Thank you all for replying to my questions!
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

You should go to the track and start meeting the people. Find the ones that are builders as they will be invaluable to you. If you are luck you will find one that you can connect with.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

lucius Gale wrote:OK I will start a new thread when the parts get here, 2 weeks?

I'm in Washington State. There is a 7 1/2 gauge track about 40 miles from my house so I will have to join the club at some point after I get the horse in front of the cart.

Reeves said this was the 4" scale Milner build. They seem pretty good to deal with. I talked to Katy there.

Thank you all for replying to my questions!
Congrats on biting the bullet and ordering the engine parts and plans.

Is your "local" track the Kitsap Live Steamers? If so, DO join them. Their wealth of steam knowledge and experience is outstanding, and they really enjoy sharing. Content me with a PM if you need more information.

Specifically, seek out Conrad Watne. He has built a beautiful Hunslet, and another "Hunslet-esque" 2-6-2 locomotive of his own design.
Conrad lives in Seattle. (I moved from Seattle a year ago, after 44 years there.)

~Russ
Conrad (small).jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Lucius,

Welcome to the forum! I will send you a Pm with my phone number and some contact information for Conrad. He is on his 3rd Hunslet build at the moment- all are freelance largley of his own design, with some castings thrown in as convenient. Also he has spent a lot of time in England around the real mcCoy's so would be a wealth of information for you.

Some of the Kitsap Live Steamers old timers meet informally every Wednesday morning at Denny's on I-405" across the street from the Seahawks practice facility in Renton, for breakfast at 10am -usually to noon. If you can break free and would like to attend just drop on by and introduce yourself. Conrad and some other old time PNW live steam legends are usually always in attendance. As Russ mentioned, I am sure everyone would be very interested in your build and certainly would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Yes, by all means, set up your own build thread. Each person's experiences are always different, and you certainly have selected a unique and fantastically intriguing size engine to build. looking forward to seeing your engine running at the track when it gets finished!

Regards
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
lucius Gale

Post by lucius Gale »

Than you to all who responded. I will try to make a Wednesday meeting in Renton but it won't be for a few weeks.

I started a new thread here:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 5&t=105017