HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Fred_V

Re: HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Post by Fred_V »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Fred, could you describe your throttle a bit more? My Sweet Pea calls for a rotary throttle but I have been advised to use a simpler ball valve throttle. Is your throttle in the smokebox (I assume it is)? Anything special you had to do for your engine to use the valve?
Ben, I'm using an angle ball valve from McMaster Carr. This works really well for a British rotary throttle. I'll mount it in the steam dome above the firebox. Here is a link showing it on a Hunslet.
http://www.sevenandaquarter.org/forum/? ... view_topic

I have the valve in hand (3/8") but have not installed it yet. I'll post pix when I get it finished.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Hi Fred,
I've used Fiberfrax caulk to seal the smokebox joints on mine. You may want to give that a go.
Best regards
Steve
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Thanks Steve. That looks like good stuff; I'll get some.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Fred_V wrote:
Benjamin Maggi wrote:Fred, could you describe your throttle a bit more? My Sweet Pea calls for a rotary throttle but I have been advised to use a simpler ball valve throttle. Is your throttle in the smokebox (I assume it is)? Anything special you had to do for your engine to use the valve?
Ben, I'm using an angle ball valve from McMaster Carr. This works really well for a British rotary throttle. I'll mount it in the steam dome above the firebox. Here is a link showing it on a Hunslet.
http://www.sevenandaquarter.org/forum/? ... view_topic

I have the valve in hand (3/8") but have not installed it yet. I'll post pix when I get it finished.
Ben, I forgot to mention that you should use a 3/8" or even a 1/4" valve for the Sweet William. I/m using a 3/8" for a bore of 2.281" bore. In the link I sent he used a 1/2" valve and said he ran with it just cracked open all the time.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thanks Fred!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Been busy making a superheater. The Hunslet has a problem with a wet stack due to the mass of iron from steam chest to cylinder and back. You loose a lot of heat so superheating will really help this.

The heater elements (in a fixture) have to be welded up and the threaded bushing welded on the ends to connect to the 1/4" pipe that passes through the flues. Steam comes out the front as usual and goes back through the pipe in the center flue. Steam branches out in the firebox and comes back forward through the top outer flues and then down to the cylinders. I'll post more pix as I proceed.
Attachments
superheater jig.JPG
s-heaterends.JPG
superheater plumb.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Working on the saddle tank now. I made a boo boo and rolled the bottom sheet the wrong way (*&^$@$%*^
That will cost me 88 bucks. The top sheet came out great; just waiting for the rivets to come in now.
Attachments
IMG_1242.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean you rolled it the wrong way? Is there a good side finish and a bad side finish?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

The tank is 19" x 23". The tunnel should go down the 23" length. I rolled the tunnel across the 19" side of the sheet. NOT GOOD.

It is now re-done with a new bottom sheet. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Been working on the water glasses so I'll post pix of them too.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Working on the saddle tank now. I made a boo boo and rolled the bottom sheet the wrong way (*&^$@$%*^
That will cost me 88 bucks.
Let me see, if I remember correctly....measure twice, roll once..

John B.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

FLSTEAM wrote:
That will cost me 88 bucks.
Let me see, if I remember correctly....measure twice, roll once..

John B.
I did measure it twice but I was working from the center line out to lay out the roll lines. The extra width on the edges didn't register until I bent the bottom to form the tank bottom and saw it was4" wide instead of 2". Then "Houston, we have a problem".
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

So, while waiting for the new tank part I started on the sight glasses, yes, two of them. Those wacky Brits want to see one with each eye.

I'm now working on the internal valve stems and seals, then the protective glass cage that goes over the tube.
Attachments
sight glass.JPG
sight glass2.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.