HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

kvom

Re: HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Post by kvom »

I had a ride behind this engine yesterday at CSP&P track. You'd think it was a speeder - crazy fast and a good puller.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

kvom wrote:I had a ride behind this engine yesterday at CSP&P track. You'd think it was a speeder - crazy fast and a good puller.
Thanks Kurt, it was great fun to put a load on it (nothing personal by that comment). I took a video of one of the runs and will post a utube of it.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Sorry I missed you and the loco at the CSPPRY track Fred. I was out there today getting my mogul prepped for next weekend when I'll be running for extended family.

Was hoping at least some of you all would still be around today!

Glad to hear that the new loco is running well!
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Hey John, sorry I missed you too. Things kind of broke up Sunday and I had accomplished what I needed to do.
Catch you next time.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Here is a video from Canton. Beautiful track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODxLOBN78nw

Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Made a shovel over the last couple of days.
Attachments
IMG_1415.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I never was happy with the whistle valve. It always leaked and dripped water on the dome. So I got a gas cock from the junk box and made a prototype T valve.
Attachments
whistle valve.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Brakes
This week I made a brake valve and an ejector. I have a diaphragm actuator on the engineers car. It is a damper control form a GM truck and works well. I'll run a rubber hose from the ejector to the car.
Attachments
brake ejector.JPG
brake valve.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I just realizes I had not posted pix of the slate car. I plan to paint the 2 riding cars to match as this is the Dinorwic quarry color for their cars.
Attachments
slate wagon.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
prlawiii

Post by prlawiii »

Where did you get the plans for the brake valve?
Just starting an Allen Mogul
renewing a Marie Estelle
lucius Gale

Post by lucius Gale »

Hello all! I am new here but I just joined because I am considering purchasing the Reeves Hunslet set of drawings and package deal castings. I am looking for information from anyone who has possibly used their castings and also comments about the drawings. I have machine shop experience and own my own home shop including a Grizzly 12" lathe and Charter Oak (very large RF45 type) milling machine and lots of tooling. Would the Reeves castings generate a machine about the size of the one in this thread? I am located in the U.S. and the track that is close to me is 7 1/2 gauge so I would need to build the loco slightly wider than the 7 1/4 gauge the plans are designed and I would appreciate any thoughts on that. Thank you in advance. L.G.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Lucius, that would be the Milner Hunslet in 4" scale. That is what this engine is. The drawings show dimensions for both 7 1/4 and 7 1/2" ga.

The castings machine nicely but some of them have a lot of extra iron that has to taken off. The biggest problem is machining the cylinders. My 4 jaw would only grab the end by about 3/16" which I didn't trust so I built a fixture to hold them. It was troublesome too but worked.

The drawings had many errors but I think they have been updated to correct them. I'll send you a PM with my email address. Write me if you have any questions.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.