HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Post by Harold_V »

Fred_V wrote:Harold, you are correct it is a 2" dia.; fingers got ahead of brain.
Thanks for the response, Fred.

Pretty work!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I'm now working on the footplate waist sheets. These need some trim around the top edge. I've taken some 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/8" angle and machined one leg down to 1/16" but leaving a 1/8" reveal at the top. The problem is making it around the bend in the sheet. I ended up making the bend from 2 pieces silver soldered together. I still have to file it to shape.

I tore my rotator cuff in Dec. and will have surgery this week and recovery for the next 3 months, real bummer. won't be posting for a bit as a result.
Attachments
cab trim.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I'MM BAA-AACK. Shoulder is much better and I'm back in the shop.

I finished off the saddle tank this week. Soldered it up today and leak tested it. Had a couple of leaks but easy to fix. I have the fittings for the bottom made also. The tape on the rear is where brackets will be bolted on with RTV to seal it up. This is a big job and I'm glad to have it finished; oh, the lid is also finished.
Attachments
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Beautiful work on that tank!
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Thanks Jim. Once all the parts were made and drilled it took about 6 hours to buck the rivets and solder.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Fred, will this engine have a headlight or a lantern for night running? Do you know of anyone who has produced the English style (moveable) lantern? It seems the quarry style engine were especially prone to having them. (they were often mounted on the front beam on the drivers side). Thanks, Timmy
illigitimi non carborundum
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I've never seen a photo of a quarry engine with a headlight or marker light either in old working photos or in restoration. I don't think they used them on the Port class engines either. They never ran at night.
I will have to make something for this engine so I can run at night.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

This week I finished the waist sheets for the cab area and the brackets to hang the rear of the tank. I'll remake the hand rails out of brass; will look much better, sort of frame in the backhead. It' time for the boiler wrapper next.
Attachments
4-7-16.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

You're gonna have this done in time for the Mid-South meet, right??
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Scott, I wish. I have been thinking, is any way to get it to that point, even without paint but I don't think so. I'm not saying no for certain but it doesn't look good.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I was just kidding, seeing as how the MSLS meet is just over 3 weeks away!
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

This week I got the superheater installed. The parts are shown on page 6. The element is made from 3/8" SS pipe and fittings. I bored the fittings and cut the pipe to desired lengths so it all fits in the firebox. TIG welding finished it up. The 3 legs have 1/4" pipe half couplings welded on but also have a shoulder machined on the forward end. That fits into the flue to prevent soot from entering the flue.

The 1st photo shows the whole assembly laid out in the welding jig. The jig didn't help much as I had to bend things back into dimension in order to install it.
Attachments
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1335.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.