HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Post by NP317 »

A caution on using galvanized pipe as shown in your last photo.
For steam, use only black iron pipe, or bronze fittings. They will last longer.

You also said: "The 3 legs have 1/4" pipe half couplings welded on but also have a shoulder machined on the forward end. That fits into the flue to prevent soot from entering the flue."
If I understand correctly, you are blocking off the flue. The flues should remain open to allow hot gases to pass through to heat the super heater. What am I missing in your description?

I admire the beautiful work on your Hunslet!
~RN
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

The galv. pipe is the exhaust so I'm not too worried about that.

Yes, 3 flues are blocked off. This is a "not so common" superheater. Steam comes from the throttle back through the center flue pipe, into the superheater element in the firebox where it branches off to each side. Then back forward through the two outside flues and into the right and left cylinder.

Typically you would have tubes that pass through a flue and double back through that same flue and the flue would be large enough to also pass hot gasses. That type can be trouble to maintain because the flue can get plugged with soot so the heater elements have to be removed often for cleaning. That doesn't happen with this design.

The nature of this firebox being short and wide may limit the effectiveness of the unit. Time will tell. A friend has used this type and said the difference was remarkable when he installed it. It is his opinion that plugging 3 flues did not affect the steaming ability of the boiler. The Hunslet cylinder design means there is a lot of iron between the steam supply and the piston so these engines tend to run a bit on the wet side. It is my hope that the superheater will dry the steam enough so that it won't condense too soon in the cylinders. We shall see.

Thanks for you complement,
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I got the whole lubricator system installed this week. This is a system of a combination of parts. The pump cylinder is something Van Brocklin came up with in the '60's. I combined it with the British sight glasses. I've been running this system on my Chloe for 20 years and it works great. With the addition of superheat I really want to be able to monitor the lubricator and the sight glasses do that.

The system operates by opening the throttle and steam is sent to the bottom of the oil pump pushing the piston up. this pushes oil to the bottom of the sight glasses. Oil drops rise in the salt water in the glass and push the previous drop out into the steam chest. This is a totally enclosed system from the pump to the steam chest. The sight glasses have a needle valve to control the feed rate of the drops of oil. The only drawback that I've found is that when coasting downhill with the throttle closed there is no oil passing to the cylinders. I overcome this by shifting to neutral and cracking the throttle open. I just ordered some high temp oil from Green Velvet and will pump up the system when it comes in.

In the first photo the drop down leg off the "T" fitting is a globe valve. This is opened when refilling the system to allow condensate to be released as the piston is pushed down. More to come.
Attachments
pressure lubricator.JPG
pressure luber mounted.JPG
sight glasses.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Did a test fire on Sunday!!!!
https://youtu.be/22TqjbNHiEk

Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Fred,
I've read about similar systems that use glycerin instead of salt water. Glycerin is heavier than water, so the condensate floats on top of the glycerin, and the oil drops float up through both.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Fender wrote:Fred,
I've read about similar systems that use glycerin instead of salt water. Glycerin is heavier than water, so the condensate floats on top of the glycerin, and the oil drops float up through both.
Hey Dan. I've heard about that but I don't have any of it so I have to drive to the beach and get my salt water. Real bummer since I've had to refill the sight glass 3 times. LOL

Sorry I'll not be at Canton; that will be a really fun weekend.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I made this for the pressure gauge over the weekend. A little bling!
Attachments
pressure gauge.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
little giant

Post by little giant »

A word of caution, if you keep your bling shiny and on a sunny day you will go blind. Great job I love gauges like that makes them look more authentic keep up the great work.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Here is a good shot of the backhead. I have since narrowed the black/white strips behind the water glass and added the bezel to the pressure gauge. Ready for paint now.
Attachments
Hunslet backhead 6-11-16.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

You are a fast worker! Looks great.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Here is a video of the first run.

https://youtu.be/PKVugRyC1W4

Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I added a saddle tank water gauge today. In test runs I ran out of water in the tank sooner than expected and one tim had to kill the fire and push it to the steaming bay and start over. I've put tank gauges on all my tank engines and am glad I did. After painting I'll add stripes behind the glass to make it like the boiler glass.
Attachments
water tank gauge.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.