HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

little giant

Re: HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Post by little giant »

Fred_V wrote:The tank is 19" x 23". The tunnel should go down the 23" length. I rolled the tunnel across the 19" side of the sheet. NOT GOOD.
You could make a coffin feed water heater and said you meant to do it that way :shock:
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I got started on the cab waist sheets today. These are 10" high with a 2" +- radius bend. I did the cheap/easy method to bend the radius. Turned out great and was soooo easy; took 5 minutes. Just clamp it down and push up on the sheet.
Attachments
waist sheet bend.JPG
waist sheet bend2.JPG
waist sheets.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Fred,
On your saddletank, how much space will there be between the boiler and the tank? Do you plan to put any insulation in there?
Thanks,
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Fender wrote:Fred,
On your saddletank, how much space will there be between the boiler and the tank? Do you plan to put any insulation in there?
Thanks,
There will be about 1/4 to 1/2" and some insulation as well as insulation on the boiler tube. This is my 3rd saddle tank plus 2 side tank engines. I find that while running I fill the tank often enough that the water doesn't get too hot. If sitting still for any amount of time I'll turn on the injector water valve and drain water so i can fill up with cold again. The Superscale Economy will take a good amount of hot water before getting fussy. The English injectors quit at about 80 degrees!!
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fender

Post by Fender »

OK, thanks. Maybe the fill hatch on the saddletank needs to be large enough to dump in ice cubes!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Fender wrote:OK, thanks. Maybe the fill hatch on the saddletank needs to be large enough to dump in ice cubes!
Great idea Dan.
Mine is big enough to fit my hand in.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Today i finally, after 3 weeks, finished the water sight glasses. I still have to make the stripped sheets to go behind the glass. I'm experimenting with this and find a copper sheet with Sharpie lines drawn on it seems to work well.

I also got the coal bunker cut and bent.
Attachments
sight installed.JPG
the office.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

In the picture entitled 'sight installed', the water level in the picture is very well defined by the change in direction of the lines. Is that how it appears in person as well?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Fred_V wrote: with a 2" +- radius bend
Just curious, Fred. Did you mean a 2" radius? That would mean you'd use a 4" diameter bar, but the one shown is too small.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

redneckalbertan wrote:In the picture entitled 'sight installed', the water level in the picture is very well defined by the change in direction of the lines. Is that how it appears in person as well?
Yes it does but I have to get my head down at that level to see it. Red line might be better to see with my head up higher. Bill Shields showed a plastic ball floating in the water once; I like that too.

Harold, you are correct it is a 2" dia.; fingers got ahead of brain.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

Fred,

Check with your lines behind the site glass all different directions. Your photo showed where they line, up sort of, with the angle of the water. You may find other alignments will show off the water better. One easy idea for using copper would be etching the lines on PC stock. The substrate would take color well and you could still paint the copper another color.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

kcameron wrote:Fred,

Check with your lines behind the site glass all different directions. Your photo showed where they line, up sort of, with the angle of the water. You may find other alignments will show off the water better. One easy idea for using copper would be etching the lines on PC stock. The substrate would take color well and you could still paint the copper another color.
Thanks, I'll try that; didn't think about the glass being at an angle too.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.