Restoring a modified Allen 2-4-0 barn find

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:15 am
Location: Tennessee, USA

Re: Restoring a modified Allen 2-4-0 barn find

Post by Pontiacguy1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Get yourself one of those locoparts burners and convert that thing over to Propane. I know of one guy in our club who did that to his Allen Ten Wheeler. Had a Bagley burner in it, but was inconsistent and hard for him to keep steam. Now he can lift the safety valves whenever he wants.

Second thing is to get the timing better, which you've already discussed. Best thing in my opinion would be to get someone local who has built several successful Stevenson gear locomotives to just look at your valve gear and try to get it tightened up and set better. Granted, it's running and I've heard a whole lot worse, but you'll be much happier with it and it will pull and dig in so much better once that timing is square. An experienced person can tell you where the worst spots are in your valve gear and can set that timing for you, which will save you a lot of time replacing parts that may not really need to be replaced. I've seen someone just rip out the valve gear and replace everything on their locomotive when 80% of their looseness was in 2 places that could have been addressed pretty quickly. Still, it's a lot of fun just having something to run.

Third... get some more run-by shots instead of just shots over your shoulder while you go around the track. I'd like to see the locomotive going by... And your shirt kinds creeps me out... Just kidding! I saw your other video too, but would like to see you running across that bridge or something like that.

In all seriousness, You're doing a good job with this, and actually being able to operate it is quite a success. Keep working on it and you'll be working that thing with a big cut of cars soon. I've enjoyed your thread. Love seeing these dormant old locomotives become active again. Wish it would happen more.

Steve Alley
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:30 am

Re: Restoring a modified Allen 2-4-0 barn find

Post by Steve Alley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Just wondering what is the late's on this Loco. Curious minds want to know, with pictures please.

Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA

Re: Restoring a modified Allen 2-4-0 barn find

Post by tyleire » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 am

After running the 2-4-0 quite a bit this past fall, I had a pretty lengthy wish list of fixes to the locomotive that required a full teardown: the timing was still off due to loose eccentric straps and worn valve gear, the axle pump (which I rely quite heavily on to save steam) started pumping less water than before, and the locomotive as an oil burner proved to be quite difficult to operate and really messy, plus with the TM triennial coming up, propane seemed to be the way to go.

When I started working on the 2-4-0 two years ago, I promised myself I wouldn't rush the rebuild. I wanted to take my time, learning as I went and do things right... Well, after investing a couple hundred hours and lots of money into the project towards the end of the process I really wanted to finally see the dang thing run. My excitement and ignorance overlooked a few critical items that should have been fixed at the beginning. Thanks to many, many brilliant and helpful people both on this board, the facebook builders group and Los Angeles Live steamers, I've learned a small amount in the process and excited try some of the things that have been rattling in my head for the past few months.

So here we go. Part 2 of the Allen/Harpur 2-4-0 rebuild.

First up was pulling the cylinders to lap the valve faces. I'd seen and heard the nice pop noise a freshly lapped cylinder and valve makes when compression is perfect and I wanted that on mine. I feared pulling the cylinders wouldn't be easy because of the rust damage this loco experienced sitting in a barn for decades and it didn't disappoint.
Regular steel flathead fasteners underneath were fused together with corrosion, requiring my friend and I to grind off the heads, assuming we were good to go. But the cylinders still wouldn't budge. Off came the front apron and leading truck. Still no luck.
After it occurred to us the cylinders and saddle were fused together with rust, we then placed a piece of wood on the bottom of the cylinders and smokebox saddle as a buffer and pound it off with a rubber mallet.
The steam and exhaust line plumbing was badly in need of replacement too.

Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA

Re: Restoring a modified Allen 2-4-0 barn find

Post by tyleire » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:43 am

These cylinders looked pretty worn and rust damaged with deep pitting. We lapped them on 120 and 220 grit sandpaper taped to float glass and 3 hours later, didn't have much to show for our efforts other than sore muscles. I also noticed the valve face was wearing more on the edges either due to bad technique on my part or sandpaper that wore off unevenly or both. No good.
The cylinder on the left represents 15 mins of lapping vs 3 hrs on the right.
Several people on the FB builders group recommended fly cutting to shave off about 10 to 15 thousandths. I'd seen videos of flycutters spanning the full width of the face but not having access to one, we tried using a smaller diameter instead and making two parallel passes. It was a little rough and our jig kept shifting, but we got reasonably close and finished it off with another hour or two of lapping with 120 grit and finally 400 grit.

User avatar
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Northern Oregon

Re: Restoring a modified Allen 2-4-0 barn find

Post by NP317 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Wow! Welcome to Serious Restorations.

Post Reply