Alternate ways. Gettin it done without alot of machine shop

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Cary Stewart

Re: Alternate ways. Gettin it done without alot of machine s

Post by Cary Stewart »

Two other sources for small containers for small screws, ER-16 collets and other things are the old 35mm film containers both the original aluminum ones and the later plastic ones + if you know a diabetic that keeps sticking him/her self for a blood sugar test the test tabs for some brands come in a very nice black plastic container about the same size as the film canisters. These have an attached snap lid and on the inside you will see a white liner. This is an oxygen getter for the tabs. When I first started using them the white was only about half the depth of the container and held 25 test strips. Now the white covers most of the interior as there are now 50 strips per container. I like these a lot and have over the years saved quite a bunch. A lot of old timers used baby food jars for the same purpose. I have seen the lids screwed to the underside of a shelf and the bottles could be screwed into them and stored out of the way.
Cary
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Baby food jars, Right on! A month ago or so, I was able to fulfill a lifelong desire - empty Gerbers baby food jars from the estate of an old timer. They were going to toss out the jars , all placed nicely in built in shells in the basement framing of an old house. Covered one complete wall. So now I have 12 or 15 jars, each holding my vital and now well organized collection of various sized nuts and washers, for # 6, #8, and #10 machine screws - and still almost two full boxes of empty baby food jars waiting for something else to do. I guess the moral of the story is be careful what you ask for!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Free is good. The only problem with the food jars is they smash wonderfully if bobbled and dropped. Not much better with that 1500 pc terminal collection. Even though the hinge tabs broke, the bins still hold all those parts, that took time to sort out... again. An unfavored pastime.

Grandpa, who never threw anything useful away, had two old typesetting drawers full of small wire nails, screw, and salvaged brack from electric things. It amazed me to know he had those odd set screws for antique door handles at hand.

I prefer to spend money on hard parts for projects, not on fancy store gought gizmos, so much seems hap hazard. When you get proficient at saving things, it requires marking things so you can find them again in your 'wheres Waldo' storage system. Fro me, not an easy task, as after moving things many times, locations and identity are a challenge.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.