Restoring a Little Engines American

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Cary Stewart

Re: Restoring a Little Engines American

Post by Cary Stewart »

A very long time ago a house painter told be that galvanized steel needed to age before being painted. At the time most of the flashing being used around roofs was galvanized steel. If I recall when the zinc ages it get a coat that paint will adhere to. I can't remember if he said to use a special primer when you do paint but don't sand it before applying the primer or paint. My parents house had galvanized steel (the old good stuff) all over the house and they did not paint for several years after the house was built. The paint did stick like it is supposed to when they painted it the first time.
Cary
gwrdriver

Re: Restoring a Little Engines American

Post by gwrdriver »

Galvanized can be "oily", both literally and figuratively. The "old" way for installers to treat roof flashing and gutters was to (1) wash it with a warm detergent to remove any literal oils or dirt, and then (2) etch it with a mild acid solution, like vinegar, to give the surface a tooth that will hold primer. Weather aging would also have the same effect, if the job could wait 6+ months for gutters.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN