K4S Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

jpeach1

K4S Build

Post by jpeach1 »

Figured it was about time to start this build thread. Have lurked for years on this site. I have always wanted to build a 1 ½” scale PRR K4s locomotive. In recent years the availability of castings have discouraged me from beginning the project that I always knew I wanted to pursue. My father was a good friend with a tool and die maker from the Baltimore MD area Mr. Bob Baker. Bob built several of the Coventry ¾” scale models including a ¾” scale B&O President Washington & the PRR K4. I’m lucky that my father handed down to me several photographic negatives of his builds and it seems that Mr. Baker new Mr. Coventry well in the Baltimore live steam community.
In the last several months I noticed the threads established by Dan Horting of PA documenting his work developing and producing a PRR K4 cylinder casting. Dan graciously made available a set of the cylinder castings to me after some correspondence.
I have spent the last several months accumulating some drawings and castings; enough to convince me to start a K4s.
Many on this forum have provided me essential help in getting started including; Dan Horting, Andy Pullen (thanks for not giving up on me), Dave Moore, and Dave Sclavi. Dan, Dave have invited me to their home and to the tracks respectively and been extremely helpful in getting me pointed in the right direction. Andy has proven to be willing to answer every question I’ve had and am looking forward to meeting him as well.
Please be patient with my inexperience, and thank you for all of the knowledge I have gleaned from all of you.
Jim Peach, Hampstead MD.
Attachments
Rear Frame Progress
Rear Frame Progress
Journal Boxes Machining- 4 flute carbide end mill, 1500 rpm, cutting oil applied, exceptional finish.
Journal Boxes Machining- 4 flute carbide end mill, 1500 rpm, cutting oil applied, exceptional finish.
Frame Progress.
Frame Progress.
jpeach1

Re: K4S Build

Post by jpeach1 »

Some more photos of the frame progress. I developed a cad model of the K4s frame and over sized it by .125". Yoder Industries of PA laser cut my frames to amazing accuracy. With the exception of a few instances, I have had to true the frames by removing remarkably the same amount from the critical dimensions.
Attachments
Note the laser cut finish at the top of the journal box.
Note the laser cut finish at the top of the journal box.
jpeach1

Post by jpeach1 »

Pictures of the trailing truck support fabrication.
Attachments
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
Some shaping to come and notching of the welds, but over all very happy with how this will turn out.
Some shaping to come and notching of the welds, but over all very happy with how this will turn out.
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Very nice work, Jim. You have chosen a most iconic locomotive to build. But you will find a lot of great help, as it seems you already have, lol.

Rob Gardner
jpeach1

Pedestal Binders

Post by jpeach1 »

Fabricated and mounted the pedestal binders this weekend. Next they will receive locating pins.
Frames are always clamped flat to the table and parallel to the x axis via a long precision ground plate that is fitted into the rear tee slot.
Repeat-ability with higher tolerance work using this double clamping method has been excellent.
Attachments
IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG
jpeach1

Post by jpeach1 »

Pedestal binder work continues. Binders clamped tight with .005" shim stock. Found edges and subtracted .002" for 1/2 thickness of shims. Center drill, drill and ream to .312. Clean and de-burr frame and binders, insert dowel pins and re-clamp. On to the journal box fabrication.
Attachments
Edge Finding.jpg
Drawing DRO.jpg
Shims.jpg
Center Dril.jpg
Clean up remove shims.jpg
jpeach1

Post by jpeach1 »

Photos of completed process
Attachments
Dowel Pins Clamped.jpg
Finished.jpg
squirrel22

Post by squirrel22 »

Have you made further progress on your K4? I am rebuilding one presently. Best regards, Tom