Cupola Caboose Rebuild

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

Cupola Caboose Rebuild

Post by ccvstmr »

Contacted one of the board moderators a while back (thank you HB)...as the "Build Log" contains many threads for a) Building Locomotives, b) Rebuilding Locomotives and c) Building Rolling Stock. Searching the archives (maybe I didn't go back far enough), I didn't find anything about Rebuilding Rolling Stock. So, I thought I'd fill that gap. Perhaps as I explain the process, others will pick up some of the tips, tricks and techniques I used to restore a cupola caboose and tuck those away for their next rolling stock build...or next rebuild project.

MY STORY

Like many large scale model railroaders, I got started at a young age with a Lionel set. While in high school, I opted for something a bit smaller, something where more railroad could be built in a smaller space. I graduated to HO. Wasn't until after school and I started traveling for work, that the idea for a sectional RR was born (not modular). Later on, I used to get together with several other guys for layout construction and operating sessions. It wasn't until we received an invite to the local live steam club (with 3.5", 4.75" and 7.5" gauge tracks)...that I was sold on something you could ride and really operate. Anybody want to buy a sectional model RR?

While most hobbyists might start with a locomotive, me and the HO partners opted to [pool our resources and experience and start by building a piece of rolling stock. One day they told me about a live steam club "elder" that had a backyard foundry. $200 for a set of aluminum trucks...another $30 bought a pair of aluminum couplers. I plopped down $200 and told the guys to get the trucks and let's get started (I wasn't a member of the local club yet...but I was single at the time).

Naturally, we began with a riding car. After some research in a Kalmbach Car Builders Cyclopedia, we had the dimensions needed to reduce the car to 1.5" scale. Someone came up with a piece of roadway sign channel. Looked like the making of a center sill to us. Word of caution...DO NOT use road sign posts for center sills! Don't know how many drill bits were burnt up and taps were broken. That stuff was hard! Soon enough, we had our riding flat car.

What's next? Build another riding car. Three guys can't fit on a 5 foot riding car (comfortably). We decided to try our hand at a gondola. We purchased a set of Railroad Supply Corp cast alum gondola ends. This time, we used some Unistrut for the center sill. Easier to drill/tap, weld, etc. We got another pair of those $200 trucks and a pair of couplers...and off we went. Since we weren't set up to do sheet metal work, we opted to use clear shelving board for the sides. We would cap the top with a piece of aluminum channel to match the end castings. It was interesting site to see these two guys holding my 10" table saw at an angle so I could slot the end of the wood sides to fit the end castings without getting hung up in the basement ceiling joists (yes, I still have all 10 fingers!). Soon enough, there were 2 pieces of equipment rolling down the track.

The next project would be an outside braced boxcar (shown elsewhere in this forum). Another set of trucks and couplers was purchased. We used a hand planer to bevel the plank edges. Can you say "carpal tunnel"? It was decided to make the roof removable so this too, could be a riding car. We later found out riders have a terrible habit of trashing the equipment. We kept the roof and dedicated the car as a "show car". We let the riders climb on board the flat car and gondola.

btw...you haven't seen me mention anything about motive power. We didn't have any (yet). But a used piece of equipment was purchased from the club and after many trials and errors and component replacements...we finally had something that could pull a couple guys around the track (without dying). We noticed in the club there were guys with a locomotive and no cars...and they were perfectly happy that way. We had a car, but no locomotive. We offered the use of our car...and in return, maybe they'll show us how to run their locomotive. It worked...and it was a great way to get started.

Since were were better equipped to work with wood, the 4th project would be a wood-sided reefer. By now, we figured it was easier to use a router to bevel the board edges. Several 1/2" thick clear pine board were purchased. Ripped in 1/4" thick strips, beveled the edges and glued the planks to a wood frame sheathed in plywood. Reference lines were drawn to keep the planks square. This too, was designed to be a riding car. But like the box car, it would soon be relegated to a rolling show car only. There was something about seeing "a train" on a miniature RR compared to a string of riding cars with people.

We were on a roll. The last 3 pieces of equipment were falling out of the shop and onto the rail on a 2 month schedule. But now, it was time we had a "proper crown" for the rear of the train. We used methods from the reefer and other build projects to build ourselves a cupola caboose. Several years after the above cars were built, we upgraded many of the cast alum trucks and couplers to Tom Bee products for the riding cars. Mercer trucks were purchased for other car projects. The original cast alum couplers were sold off to other newbies. The original cast aluminum trucks were re-purposed for other cars.

Several years later, each piece of equipment in the fleet was cycled thru the shop for some extreme makeover work and cosmetic TLC. The cupola caboose got its turn in October, 2014. Several person on this board were involved with that project. And so, this is where the rebuild story really begins. I'll pick it up here in the next post. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
chooch

Re: Cupola Caboose Rebuild

Post by chooch »

Carl B,
Are you thinking maybe the "Build Log" might have different categories. Locomotives, cars, track etc. ??
Might be an idea with less Machine work.
chooch
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Chooch...seems like all the builds and rebuilds are bunched together in this forum. If the moderators want to break those apart into different categories...that's their call and/or up to other contributors to say something. Since my rolling stock rebuild article will be a multi-part series...the moderator thought it should be located here, instead of one of the other forums. Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Caboose Rebuild cont'd

Well, after pondering how I got to where I am today, I figured I'd start this post with some of the early day photos of the cupola caboose...
xbbtcab4.JPG
xcupcab13.JPG
xcupcab12.JPG
Some additional notes...
- during the life of the caboose, there must have been 3 different sets of trucks underneath. During the rebuild, I decided to swap the arch bar truck in the photos with something a little more modern.
- never really liked the narrow cupola originally built, but that was built strong! I like to build things for the long haul. The "roof rails" were 1x 1.5" and run the length of the roof with cross struts...glued and screwed. One could probably stand on the roof with only minor deflection. The cupola was due to be changed.
- the end ladders were originally one-piece. These turned out to be a pain whenever the roof was removed and put back in place. Ladder removal was easy. Getting the 4 corners back in place was a pain. Next time around the ladder would be split at the roof line.
- the original roof was 1/4" plywood...scored on the underside to accommodate the curvature of the roof struts. It was painted and had sprinkled sand in the paint. Over the years, weather took its toll and the plywood laminations separated. That roof was replaced with another piece of plywood, but the 2nd time around was only primed and painted. This too, would be changed during the rebuild.
- lastly, the road name would be changed. The Bickleton, Bellingham and Tuscarora was a play on the first initials of the partners last names. Kinda has that special tongue-twisting quality to it. Well, one partner passed away, the other partner abandoned the equipment...so I ended up with everything by default. Since I operate a Rutland steam locomotive, I thought it would be nice to have a "Rutland-like" caboose on the rear of the train. I was not about to build a scale Rutland 'boose...but I wanted to use this caboose to recreate many of the features from New England style vans.

In the next post, the actual rebuild starts. Stay tuned. Carl B.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Enjoying your Caboose Rebuild thread so far and looking forward to seeing what and how you did it!
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

How about a picture of what she looks like before you work you magic...

John B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Well John, you beat me to the punch! I was about to show what a few years of use, a few years exposure to the elements (even when stored in a secured car barn), etc. had done to the 'boose body. Stay tuned! Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Caboose Rebuild con't

Since you've already seen how the cupola caboose looked like from the start, now you need to see what wear and tear (normal or otherwise) had done over a few years. Temperature and humidity changes were probably the worst cause of the wear and tear as the caboose was exposed to temperatures (in a non-climate controlled car barn) of anywhere from 0 deg to 100 deg. When I rolled the caboose into the shop for its makeover, the first thing I did was strip all the add-on hardware. Off came the grab irons, end railings, brake wheels, marker lights. Some of the parts would be used over...others destined for a future in the scrap metal bucket. The next few photos will give you an idea of the degradation.
x127.JPG
x231.JPG
x306.JPG
The paint finish had cracked and flaked. The dry transfer decals used for the original lettering had flaked off, even after a clear coat over spray.

There were various blemishes in the wood work that would have to get filled. These included a few screw holes and some gouges where unintended items hit or rubbed against the body during transport to other track. The large holes at the "B" end of the cabin are where the marker light stems were inserted. A false mounting plate was added to the stem, and that was the plate used to hold the marker lights in place.

In the next installment, we'll get started with the makeover. Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Caboose Rebuild cont'd

From previous rolling stock rebuilds, I found I could set up a sand blast unit outside to remove whatever paint, primer or other was on the wood body. Basically, take the car body back to its original build. Mind you, this isn't like cleaning up rust covered cast iron. In fact, the sand blast nozzle was kept at least 12" away from wood body. Seemed like air pressure alone would remove most of the loose finish. As such, the blasting did not take long.

After the blasting was completed, exposed metal surfaces including the cast alum end sills, die cast window frames and alum corner trim...were masked and sprayed right away with a self-etch automotive primer. Originally, the metal surfaces might have simply been cleaned with a wire brush or steel wool before paint application. Learned over the years (the hard way)...sand blasting...in a cabinet or outside is a great way to clean metal surfaces and rough them up a little to give primer and paint something more to grab on to.

Here's the 'boose after the self-etch primer application.
x832.JPG
x843.JPG
The 'boose was moved back into the shop. Masking tape removed and the car body flipped upside down to inspect and paint the bottom (black). The 3/8" bolt king pins were upgraded to Grade 5. King pins are cross drilled near the end for a retaining fender washer and "R" clip. I don't like holding trucks in place with something that screws up from the bottom. Sorry...gravity has a way of working against us...all the time. When truck service is needed, the R clips are pulled and the car body lifted off the trucks. This assumes, the Clippard quick connect fitting for each truck has been unscrewed.
xIMG_5182.JPG
xIMG_5520.JPG
The original car body was built using 1/2" plywood over a wood frame. The end doors, were laminated. The first layer...a piece of scribed basswood. This was covered over with a piece of smooth basswood that was cut out to simulate recessed door panels and the door opening was trimmed out. While some persons like to have operating doors and detailed interiors, this caboose is a utility car. It not only carries a remote brake unit for switching operations, it is also used to carry a portable lifter/re-railer, extension cord, water-proof battery charger for the remote brake unit, a first aid kit (still sealed), red flag and other misc. items. As such, didn't want to provide an easy access path for critters to move in and take up residence! However, I applaud those that do fabricate hinged doors...with working door locks and caboose interiors. I marvel at their patience.
xIMG_5521.JPG
What came next? Sanding. All the planks and grooves were sanded using sponge sanders. Angled edge sanding sponges were used to get into the V-grooves between the planks. Yes, it was time consuming work, but it was the end result I had in mind. The sanding removed the wood fiber "fuzz" raised from the sand blasting. After holes and blemishes were filled using Bondo...those surfaces were sanded once again.

One of the characteristics I adopted from the start of my rolling stock building days was to hide the hardware used to hold the structure together. If you look at the last photo above, you'll see how the mounting tab on the alum cast corner steps was sandwiched between the plywood car floor and the end platform planks. Aluminum angle trim was used to hide the raw edge of the plywood sub-floor. Flat head screws were used to hold the corner steps. The steps were drilled and tapped with locking nuts (remember, I build things strong). If people were going to grab the corner steps to move the car or worse, hit in a derailment...I wanted the caboose ends to survive. So far...never had to rebuild the caboose ends.

You'll also note a couple brackets immediately behind the corner steps with 1/4" holes. This is where the end sill was attached. In fact, it was the safety chain eye bolts that sandwiched the end sill and secured the end sill to the car body.

Next installment...a reality side step before the rebuild process continued. Stay tuned. Carl b.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Caboose Rebuild cont'd

After the caboose body sand blasting and initial metal masking and priming...I had one of those "reality check" moments. Happened to be going thru some old photos and came across something that really peaked my interest. Back in Sept. 2013...I was on a trip out East for some PRR GG-1 business. My friend and I stopped to visit the Steamtown Railroad Museum in Scranton, PA. What a great place to run around for several hours. Didn't think anything of the trip...until I saw the photos again. There, nicely restored...was a Rutland caboose...number 28!
xIMG_3230.JPG
xIMG_3231.JPG
xIMG_3235.JPG
xIMG_3232.JPG
At that time, a year later, I was kicking myself for NOT taking more detailed photos. However, I had enough info to carry forward with the rebuild project. Keep these photos in mind, as you're going to see many of the same elements show up on the model rebuild. Remember, I wasn't going to change the old caboose to a Rutland van...just wanted to capture the "look and feel" of a New England style caboose. Something that would be fitting behind my Rutland Allen Models 10-wheeler.

Rutland caboose items to note:
- corner poling pockets
- tapered end sill railing posts
- end sill grab irons
- other grab irons
- the ladder
- the squat cupola
- the cupola "surround" roof walk
- the hand holds on the end wall
- caboose truck leaf springs

Decided several elements would be avoided. These included things like the drip shields over the windows. Sharp metal edges sticking out from a car body surface? Too easy to snag passing arms and legs. I don't think so...that's asking for blood...most likely my own. Coupler lifting levers would also not be recreated. Some items in the wrong place are just asking to be bent, mutilated or otherwise abused.

The next realization...the old caboose end beam and aluminum end sill casting...they're out of there! They had to go. Those castings were more a freight car end sill than something fit for a caboose. While the caboose work continued at my friends shop...my basement shop got into the caboose detail building business. This part of the rebuild kept me busy for several months.

Many hobbyists don't seem to understand why a caboose is the most expensive piece of rolling stock you can have in an equipment fleet. A caboose has the most "gingerbread" compared to other pieces of rolling stock! Usually, a few dollars more are involved...but a LOT more time is needed to recreate those kinds of details. However, it's those details that really set a model off...no matter how small they are. To me, this was the fun part of the rebuild.

Next time, the caboose gets primed for painting. Stay tuned. Carl B.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Nice Caboose re-build thread, really nice. Lot`s of little detail hints too. Great photos.
But what is a guy in Illinois doing with an interest in a Vermont Yankee rail car. (Big grin)
chooch
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Well Chooch...it kinda goes like this...
1) you wouldn't know if you talk to me. I was born outside Boston, but don't go out and "pock the cah". Was raised in the Chicago area, but don't go out and "watch DA trains". Neither had anything to do with "Rutland" things.
2) was recording secretary/newsletter editor for my local train club. Members contacted me when they wanted an ad placed in the "Railroad Salvage" newsletter section. As such, I heard about FOR SALE items before anyone else. A club member called to place an ad to sell his Rutland 10-wheeler. My response to the builder..."SOLD...how much do you want for it?" The ad was never published!

Later on, asked my wife if it was okay. While there's more to the story, the long and short of the loco purchase was...right place - right time! Decided to leave the Rutland graphics as is...and modify the caboose to resemble New England type cabooses/cabeese (?). Carl B.