2-1/2", 65 ton New Mexico Lumber Co Shay (Lima C/N 1762)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Brian Hilgert

Re: 2-1/2", 65 ton New Mexico Lumber Co Shay (Lima C/N 1762)

Post by Brian Hilgert »

I had all intentions of using HRS, Even bought all the stock. Once I got the stock in, it was more of a rough trapezoid cross section than a rectangle. Maybe you guys have a better suppler, but my HRS didn't make the cut. I'm very happy with how my arch bars came out and would definitely use CRS again. To each his own.
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_2008.JPG
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I got my HRS from metal supermarkets as theyre the closest supplier to my house. Its not perfectly rectangular but more than close enough for me, and it is not what I would call trapezoidal so maybe you just got a bad batch Brian. Either way, can't fault anyone for picking either if it works
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

My HRS had a cupped shape in cross-section, which is why I didn't want to use it, so I ended up the same place as you Brian.
John Brock
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I would think that you could simply anneal the CRS to soften it. Then you would have the nice finish and shape, but it would be bendable. It is the cold-rolling process that makes it hard.
seadevil10

Post by seadevil10 »

I just joined and love this build. Where did you get the drawings from. My dream loco is a class c shay and I have been looking for drawings for a project like this.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I don't know about scale drawings, but the California State Railroad Museum has almost all of the original Lima prints in their library and will copy them for you.
The only 2.5" scale class C shay drawings I know of are from Rich Ulin for West Side Lumber #14 or #15, but he is very proud of his drawings and castings.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
seadevil10

Post by seadevil10 »

Ok thanks for the info, I have heard of Ulin and his prices are kind of steep but i have also seen his work and can understand why. Are the California drawings the ones that you are using for this build?
jamespnelson

Post by jamespnelson »

I am indeed using drawing from CSRM, but also some from the Allen County Museum in Lima, OH. The two sources usually have what you need, but it can run into a serious bit of change to get them all. I have used some drawings (for the accompanying castings) from John Buckwalter. His journal and column castings are very nice. The column is a tad short for the truck, but I'm barely making the top and bottom smooth so it looks right. The truck he models with his smaller Shay has a flat bar, and the 65 ton has a slight arch to it that I want to reproduce.

Ulin's parts are very expensive because he uses lost wax to cast (as opposed to sand) and that is inherently more expensive. I'd love to use his stuff, as the Shays he built were similar to mine, but I just can't stomach spending that kind of money on my project. They are however, very nice castings.

The wheel castings are made from a pattern I made, and I'm also going to make patterns for the cylinders, crosshead guides, and lower bracket (crankcase). I'm no going to for the valve stem guides, as they are pretty simple and look easy to fabricate.

Jim
Project
2-1/2" Scale, Class C 65 Ton Shay

Bits of wisdom:
Ray's Rules of Precision: Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe.
"The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” ― Voltaire
jamespnelson

Post by jamespnelson »

And Brian, thank you for sharing the pictures of your truck; very nice work!
Project

Bits of wisdom:
Ray's Rules of Precision: Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe.
"The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” ― Voltaire
jamespnelson

Post by jamespnelson »

Further notes on Shay drawings. First thing you need is a drawing card index. It indexes the drawings that were used to fabricate each specific locomotive. Most of the time, these are correct. BUT, it does not tell you where those drawings are (or if they even exist). Ordering from ACHS is pretty easy, you ask them of them, and they reproduce and charge you a reasonable fee. If you need them from CSRM, there is a $25.00 fee for EACH 10 drawings you want, then the reproduction charge for said same (anywhere from $6.50 up, depending on drawing), and of course, mailing. They offer electronic now, which is nice. I can the get the drawing printed for about $1.75 from Office Max, which is much more reasonable than what CSRM contractor is running. The tricky part is knowing what drawings you actually need. There are a lot of little parts you don't need, and there are a lot of multiple item drawings as well. I've got well over 75 drawings for my Shay, so I've got some capital in that. An additional resource is Dan Ranger. He has the drawings from the West coast Lima office, which is a rather extensive one, but I believe only for Shays that were out here. He is in Santa Fe, and can produce a list of drawings for a particular Shay, with old a new drawing numbers, for a very reasonable fee. He is however in ill health, and I'm not so sure he can get his drawings reproduced anymore. If you'd like his info, shoot me a private message and I'll send it to you.
Project

Bits of wisdom:
Fender

Post by Fender »

Unfortunately, Dan Ranger passed away in December 2015.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
jamespnelson

Post by jamespnelson »

That's unfortunate to hear. Thank you for the update.
Project

Bits of wisdom: