When all you have is a hammer, everything's a nail...

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

Re: When all you have is a hammer, everything's a nail...

Post by OddDuck »

Been a while since I have done anything to the parts I made, I squared up the frames, drilled and tapped through the pilots, and got the journal slides cleaned up. I've decided to use 1/8" steel for the deck, need to get it cut and I'm going to screw it to the frame. The pilot beams stick up above the top of the frame about that much, you'd think I planned it that way or something. Next step is finishing the rest of the patterns for the shell and then figure out what I need for sprockets.
Attachments
switcher frame june 2016.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Most impressive...
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

IMAG0089.jpg
Been a while, but I'm on vacation this week so I have decided to try to get this done. Did a mock up today to plan the rest of the shell, and to see where the battery and motor will fit. So, for those who have a little more experience with this stuff, do the proportions look okay, or is the cab too tall?
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Okay, apparently the new software didn't like the other pics, so let's try again.
Attachments
IMAG0087.jpg
IMAG0088.jpg
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I think it looks pretty good. You might could make the cab just a bit taller and it still look fine. That's going to be a cute little critter.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Looks good.

I like the negative camber on the wheels. Should handle well in the corners :-)

Steve
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Progress report, modified the roofline, finished the patterns, and got them cast. A few minor lumps and bumps, but came out nice.And, more importantly they all fit. I have to fix some of the windows, but that's what they make JB Weld for. Next step, finish the running gear and start attaching everything.
Attachments
IMAG0093.jpg
IMAG0094.jpg
IMAG0096.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I got the shell put together, managed to turn some wheels (ugly, but I think useable), and I am moving on to the drive system. I have zero budget, but I do have a few defunct bicycles and some scrap brass (and a foundry...), so I disassembled the rear hubs, found the donor sprockets I needed, made a hub pattern, and cast on some new hubs on the sprockets. Now, before anybody starts hollering "Don't use bicycle chain!!", remember, zero budget, so gotta use what I have. Stuck the hub in the four jaw and turned it down, and seems to have wound up fairly concentric. We'll see if it works.
Attachments
IMAG0103.jpg
IMAG0108.jpg
IMAG0110.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Been a while, got some work done on it. I have a deadline, I want to have it done and running by a meet I plan to go to later this month, about three weeks from now. I've gotten major portions of the tough parts done (I think...). I have the wheels and axles turned, the journal boxes and slides more or less done, and most of the sprockets turned. I still have to finish machining the sprocket for the motor unit, ran out of time today. I want to be able to do a track test later this week at a friend's home track, so stay tuned!
https://www.facebook.com/odfoundry/phot ... 79/?type=3
https://www.facebook.com/odfoundry/phot ... 07/?type=3
https://www.facebook.com/odfoundry/phot ... 09/?type=3
wiltonmetal

Post by wiltonmetal »

Where are you located "somewhere south of Mt. Katahdin"? I am in Wilton,Maine...next to Farmington.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I put my town on the loco, right on the grill where everyone can see. Orrington, just south of Brewer.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Huge progress, Pete. Never apologize to anyone when you build in hernia scale. If they have a better idea, they can suggest and shut-up. Re"cycling" makes excellent sense.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."