My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
The cab is well on the way now. I decided to drill and set about 500 rivets (1.4 x 6 mm which is about 1/16 ", made of copper) :) . All the drilling was made by using the x / y scales of my mill. Construction was made first of course by means of drawings and some photos.
The angles which were both 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 " and 2 x 2 " at the prototype were made of 10 x 10 x 1 mm sqare profiles :idea: .
The half round profile which surrounds the roof was turned of 3 mm round material and then bent to fit. All was made of stainless steel.
To help TIG weld those profiles onto the roof there are some cooling profiles made of copper :D . Hope, this will be fine!
All the angles are to be riveted to side walls and on top of the roof, a lot of work yet.
Part of the roof will be cut out (removable) for conveniant and safe handling the throttle, power reverse, brake handle, valves and gauges in the cab.
Cab windows and other stuff will be added, too.

Best regards
Asteamhead
Attachments
The angles were drilled first then milled
The angles were drilled first then milled
Equal distances were achieved by using the mill's scales
Equal distances were achieved by using the mill's scales
Drilling and milling in pairs to save some time
Drilling and milling in pairs to save some time
Some parts will be mounted by 2 mm hex srews instead of rivets
Some parts will be mounted by 2 mm hex srews instead of rivets
I like the rows of tiny rivets quite like those of the prototype
I like the rows of tiny rivets quite like those of the prototype
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
There are some more photos regarding that somwhat critical TIG welding job of the A's cab roof made of stainless steel 304L.
The make of the half round profiles intended to being welded onto the edges of the roof was shown in my last post.
To weld those tiny profiles onto the roof sheet of 1 mm wasn't an easy job to me. Thus I prepared some cooling rails made of copper to avoid burning off the profiles by accidant during the weld process. The TIG welder with puls function :D was adjusted to just 20 resp. 60 A to achive best results. Just one trial ... No option to solder on these profiles due to long time stability - just my opinion. Next locomotive will be built of brass, I believe :lol: !
Next step will be more fun: To set some 300 rivets yet to mount angles and rails onto the roof! But before assembly of all those parts, the necessary cutouts for save handling both the engineer's and firemen' side still are to be made.

Soory for I had some serious problems to attach photos and comments :?

All the best by
Asteamhead
Attachments
A cab, welding the front roof edge_red0877.jpg
A cab,TIG welding the roof edge_0879.JPG
A cab, welding the corner of the roof_red0883.jpg
A cab, halfround profile welded onto front of the roof _red0890.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello fans of the N&W,
With some intensive work the parts for the A's cab are done now. It might be of interest how to mill big a radius on a quite small mill by means of a turntable. Using a very sharp tool and high speed in combination with milling chips of just 1/100 to max. 1/64 per round was successful.
To mill the iner and outer radius' precisely, I drilled 6 bores into the Sheets first to take them on the turntable in a safe manner :idea:
Holes for the rivets were drilled concentricly by the same method then.
The final rivets will be set as last step.

Harold: Works again, thank you!

Asteamhead
Attachments
The sheets are fixed to the smaller radius now
The sheets are fixed to the smaller radius now
Drilling by using the center of the bigger radius. Equal spaces achieved by means of the divider scale. Milling of the outer radius done
Drilling by using the center of the bigger radius. Equal spaces achieved by means of the divider scale. Milling of the outer radius done
Drilling rivet holes by x-y positioning. Both radius' are to be seen.
Drilling rivet holes by x-y positioning. Both radius' are to be seen.
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi,

WUNDERBAR!!!!

Regards
Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Asteamhead wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:07 am Harold: Works again, thank you!
You're welcome, but it should be understood that I am just the messenger. Mike, who owns the board, has done an exceptional job of keeping it functioning properly.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello to all modelers,
Some more parts to complete the A's cab are done. Time to have a close look to the inside of the cab, now. So many parts and fun just to make the slide windows f.e. 8) The inside of the cab is inviting to run that engine by an alert engineer, isn't it :D ? Some parts are still missing yet, but to allow free acceess to each valve or handle of some importance (remember the HT-stoker) isn't an easy job. The rear wall and the roof are getting th necessary cut outs for conveniant and safe handling.

Asteamhead
Attachments
A lot of tiny parts, very similar to those of the prototype
A lot of tiny parts, very similar to those of the prototype
The engineer's side is almost finished despite the brake stand and the wooden floor
The engineer's side is almost finished despite the brake stand and the wooden floor
Come, climb onto the engineer's seat to grab the throttle!
Come, climb onto the engineer's seat to grab the throttle!
Lots of rivet holes
Lots of rivet holes
Seat casted of lead - simple and adding 3 Pounds each
Seat casted of lead - simple and adding 3 Pounds each
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
The cab is finished now. A lot more work than estimated before due to hundreds of bores, rivets and tiny srews.
Some of the photos taken during the manufacturing process may be of interest to other modelers. No CAD / CNC - just simple machine work!
The roof is fixed by just 6 small srews to the side walls of the cab in favour of easy axcess to valves and other parts :idea: . Some trials by means of cardbox dummies resulted in the cutouts as done. Good axcess to each of the valves and handles,free sight on the water glases and minor risk of getting hurt in curves ore even in case of derails was mandatory! And the looks from aside will not be disturbed that much :D .

Asteamhead
Attachments
Some (dummy) rivets are still missing in case of changes if necessary
Some (dummy) rivets are still missing in case of changes if necessary
Milling the cutouts wasn't an easy job on that small mill!
Milling the cutouts wasn't an easy job on that small mill!
Slide covers were made of 0.5 mm stainless by bending the edges about 150° before pressing around a band of spring steel. To be done very easily!
Slide covers were made of 0.5 mm stainless by bending the edges about 150° before pressing around a band of spring steel. To be done very easily!
Windows were made of 1/8 " Pertinax (pressed paper) by high speed milling. Concentration on the Job was necessary, believe me!
Windows were made of 1/8 " Pertinax (pressed paper) by high speed milling. Concentration on the Job was necessary, believe me!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Beautiful work, as always. I appreciate seeing your solutions.
On my Mikado I'm finishing cab plumbing now, and already thinking about how to make the cab roof and access openings.
This is a 3-D chess game.
~RN
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Thank you, NP317!
Just let me show you one more photo of the firemen's side of the A. Now it's ready to go, too :)
The seats were casted of lead :idea: (to increase friction weight by about 6 pounds).
The stoker's lubricator is hidden under the left seat.
Another photo is showing the sight and access to the rider (forget about that cross bar of the case).

Asteamhead
Attachments
Valves and handles from top are:<br />6SA feedwater pump, main steam for stoker jets, blower, main steam for stoker engine and the ashpan water sprayer. The stoker reverse handle is to be seen in front of the seat, the 5 stoker jet valves are on the right side.<br />It's similar to the locations on the prototype.<br />Feel invited to be home!
Valves and handles from top are:
6SA feedwater pump, main steam for stoker jets, blower, main steam for stoker engine and the ashpan water sprayer. The stoker reverse handle is to be seen in front of the seat, the 5 stoker jet valves are on the right side.
It's similar to the locations on the prototype.
Feel invited to be home!
Rider's sight and access (forget about the cross bar of the case to be seen in the foreground)
Rider's sight and access (forget about the cross bar of the case to be seen in the foreground)
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Amazing work, great detail. Thanks for all the pictures and info you have posted.

Tim
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Thank you Tim for your interest!
Tomorrow the A will be shown on the exhibit 'Intermodellbau Dortmund' running on air. Thus I worked a little harder during the last weeks to get it completed.
Here's a photo of the driver's side of the cab including the 24-RL brake stand. The (upper) independent brake is worked by boiler steam by means of a simple valve. The (lower) train brake is intended to run directly on air using a reduction valve. A fully independent brake could be installed, but is no common practice in our size.
Making of the covers of the washout plugs by use of a simple tool may be of interest.

All the best by
Asteamhead
Attachments
Divers side with throttle, brake, injector and power reverse handle in place
Divers side with throttle, brake, injector and power reverse handle in place
Raw sheet, round plate and formed cover plates with tools
Raw sheet, round plate and formed cover plates with tools
A job of just 3 hours
A job of just 3 hours
Raw plates fixed in the tool, turned to desired diameter
Raw plates fixed in the tool, turned to desired diameter
Look of the firebox with covers
Look of the firebox with covers
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello,
one more photo from the first day of the actual exibition at Dortmund. The A is running onthe stage by air.

Asteamhead
Attachments
A Intermodellbau Dortmund  2018 red.jpg