My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

Asteamhead

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by Asteamhead » Sat May 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Hello fans,
Just one more step to finish the project: The working power reverse :D
All parts are made of bronze or stainless steel. It's now working on air but is intended to work on water taken from the boiler :idea: .
Max force is about 80 pounds, travel is + / - 21 mm.
The (plastic) piston ring is made by Busak&Shamban, the valve is made of a shaft of a milling tool of just 4 mm diameter.

Asteamhead
Attachments
A power reverse, cylinder parts_1045red.jpg
Cylinder is soldered from parts made of bronze.
Channels are of just 1 mm diameter
A power reverse_1146red.jpg
Power reverse working on air

Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:37 pm

Hello fans,
During two meetings at Oberursel and Kassel the A ran very well :D . A friend of mine worked as engineer most of the time with passenger trains and had fun.
The power reverse now works on hot (boiler) water as intended. The stoker had some difficulties regarding the movements between locomotive and tender, which were in excess of the calculated limits. Thus hand firing was still necessary yet :( . This problem will be fixed a.s.a.p. :idea:
By the way we fired anthrazite coal of finest quality - the almost last being digged from 4.500 feet below at Ibbenbueren, the very last such pit in Germany. It will be closed before the end of the year.
Some important parts are still to be added yet. CC-air pumps, sandboxes, front coupler and 6-wheel tender bogies are still missing. Some work for next winter-season.

Best regards
Asteamhead
Attachments
A at DBC-Kassel 6.2018_0039red.jpg
A at DBC-Kassel, smoke is lifted easily above the engineer. Not just clean anthrazite of course ...
A 1239 side view_0041red.jpg
A side view

NP317

Post by NP317 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 am

A remarkable achievement!
~RN