My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
Just one more photo of the Nathan water gauges I finished today. Due to simple construction they were a pleasure to build in short time!
Despite the distance of just 50 mm (2 ") between the main connections of M 10x1 (similar to R 1/8 "), the sight length of the waterglass is 30 mm.
Diameter of the glass may be up to 7,5 mm (more than 1/4 ") then. It may be changed from the upper end. The 'Nathan look' is made by separated halfs to be added after assembly. There is no contact to the glas! Parts are made of bronze (not of brass!) and stainless steel.
Valve spindles might replace the front caps (M 6 x 0,5).

Asteamhead
Attachments
A Nathan-water gauge 50 mm (2 inches) red.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Please let me show another photo of the look when added on the boiler.
Asteamhead
Attachments
A reflexion plate made of white PTFE ('Teflon') is showing a good contrast of the water level
A reflexion plate made of white PTFE ('Teflon') is showing a good contrast of the water level
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
One more important item was finished this week. The Nathan double check valve for delivery feedwater from both feedwater pump (left) and injector (right side) was made of bronze. The conical (90°) valves hold O-rings of size 4 x 1 mm to ensure tight sit in combination with a generous 6 mm (1/4 ") cross section throuhout. This type of valves showed reliable function at several boilers despite their simple conbstructon.
Milling of the complex body and soldering are onother stories yet.

Asteamhead
Attachments
Parts are made of bronze to insure reliable silver soldering. All the chanals are bored already
Parts are made of bronze to insure reliable silver soldering. All the chanals are bored already
The Question was if everthing will get tight without any solder flueing chanals or valve sits. I needed some trials to get it all! Cleaning by means of citrus acid and an ultrasonic bath allowed another trial.
The Question was if everthing will get tight without any solder flueing chanals or valve sits. I needed some trials to get it all! Cleaning by means of citrus acid and an ultrasonic bath allowed another trial.
One conical valve with O-ring inserted is to be seen on the left. Two washers support each spindle packing made of PTFE (Teflon).
One conical valve with O-ring inserted is to be seen on the left. Two washers support each spindle packing made of PTFE (Teflon).
A Natan double check valve -6 mm free flow throughout,red.jpg
Connected to the boiler top is made by an  R 3/8 " thread. 4 x M 2 srews connect the water tubes of 7 x 0.5 mm copper.
Connected to the boiler top is made by an R 3/8 " thread. 4 x M 2 srews connect the water tubes of 7 x 0.5 mm copper.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
may I report the progress of some busy weeks to you, please?
A lot of smaller parts and adjustments still are needed before the first steam up can occur. Tubing is one demanding job. A lot of connections, valves and all that stuff is intended to look quite similair to that of the prototype. A lot of detailed photos made in the Roanoke museum or found in books helped to make the looks a bit realistic. Over all that was a lot of fun to me!

Best regards
Asteamhead
Attachments
6SA hot water feedwater pump is hung onto the smokebox just below the running board
6SA hot water feedwater pump is hung onto the smokebox just below the running board
As replacement a modified (cold) water pump of cy. Hans Link (Germany) may be mounted instead of the pump which I built in 1995(!), using identical connections. The Link-pumps are simple, very  r e l i a b l e  and cost just under 600 Euro
As replacement a modified (cold) water pump of cy. Hans Link (Germany) may be mounted instead of the pump which I built in 1995(!), using identical connections. The Link-pumps are simple, very r e l i a b l e and cost just under 600 Euro
Connections for both water and steam to the 6SA are to be seen. Replacement can be done in half an hour
Connections for both water and steam to the 6SA are to be seen. Replacement can be done in half an hour
The idea was to allow access to the fire brick  through the fire opening for easy replacment. All are made of stainless steel 316 L
The idea was to allow access to the fire brick through the fire opening for easy replacment. All are made of stainless steel 316 L
To clean the fire brick, just the middle part is to be drawn out
To clean the fire brick, just the middle part is to be drawn out
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
Some more plumbing work was done. The Super Scale injektor was connected to look like the prototype's Nathan 4000.
A second batch of automatic cylinder cooks showed a lot of parts, too.
Best regards
Asteamhead
Attachments
A lot of bends gave the needed form
A lot of bends gave the needed form
All flange connections are to be turned freely to give better access to the bolts (for there are no scale hands available9
All flange connections are to be turned freely to give better access to the bolts (for there are no scale hands available9
Parts are made of bronze or stainless steel on a lathe
Parts are made of bronze or stainless steel on a lathe
To be fixed to the cylinders by means of a single bolt. Steam connections are to be added then
To be fixed to the cylinders by means of a single bolt. Steam connections are to be added then
Short Line Tom

Post by Short Line Tom »

Asteamhead wrote:Hello friends,
Some more plumbing work was done. The Super Scale injektor was connected to look like the prototype's Nathan 4000.
A second batch of automatic cylinder cooks showed a lot of parts, too.
Best regards
Asteamhead
Can't await, to see "the beast" running at the 'US-meeting of Sindelfingen'. :wink:
Fingers crossed!

Tom
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
Some more parts needed for first steaming are done.
I found the external water tubing for both injector and 6SA feedwater water pump should be removeable easily to improve access to the grates.
Thus the connections are made by using O-rings hidden between flanges. The water separator of the prototype got a filter.
Flexible hoses from the tender tank are using standard size removable connectors hidden under the front of the tender. This makes them look quite similar to those of the prototype.
Next to come will be the steam manifold inside the cab.

Asteamhead
Attachments
Left connection may be removed easily
Left connection may be removed easily
Filter set may be removed and cleaned by just take off the cover
Filter set may be removed and cleaned by just take off the cover
Water connection by hose and plug system.<br />The 6SA cold water pump is missing, yet
Water connection by hose and plug system.
The 6SA cold water pump is missing, yet
Hose had been cut off when this photo was taken
Hose had been cut off when this photo was taken
Hose connection
Hose connection
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
Some more photos of the bogie which was added in today after som work. Frame and springs are not finished yet. But equalizing and side motion device are working as intended to stabilize both running into curves or on less than optimal track.
Initial running on steam will be tried in just three weeks :lol: ! A lot of little jobs to be done yet ...

Asteamhead
Attachments
A simple tool was used to both bore and turn the (sand-) casted Timken covers
A simple tool was used to both bore and turn the (sand-) casted Timken covers
The frame was intended to be made of laser cutted parts. Welding worked out a lot faster then
The frame was intended to be made of laser cutted parts. Welding worked out a lot faster then
The sand casted outer frames are bolted to the welded inner frame. The axle with steel rims shrinked on the casted wheels is supported by two pairs of ball beaings in cases made of bronze. Timken covers are fixing the outer races
The sand casted outer frames are bolted to the welded inner frame. The axle with steel rims shrinked on the casted wheels is supported by two pairs of ball beaings in cases made of bronze. Timken covers are fixing the outer races
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

With my friends we celebrated the A's first running on may, 12th. Just on air yet due to some necessary checks of lubricators and main steam connections befor steaming it up. Next week it is exspected to run on steam sucessfully, too - ready to run at our US - meeting in Sindelfingen end of this month. You see me happy! Still some more work to finish the project ...
Asteamhead
Attachments
Runing as intended after 10 years / 7.000 hours of building
Runing as intended after 10 years / 7.000 hours of building
Short Line Tom

Post by Short Line Tom »

Asteamhead wrote:With my friends we celebrated the A's first running on may, 12th. Just on air yet due to some necessary checks of lubricators and main steam connections befor steaming it up. Next week it is exspected to run on steam sucessfully, too - ready to run at our US - meeting in Sindelfingen end of this month. You see me happy! Still some more work to finish the project ...
Asteamhead
Congrats to you "Asteamhead"!

Three happy (and tired) guys and four bottles of beer (maybe some more in the foreground), looks like a successful "Running Day" :D
...... perhaps, I will see you at Sindelfingen ......... :wink:

Cheers!
Tom
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi WD, Tom and others,

this succesful day i will keep in my mind for a long time.
I can tell that this engine runs smoothly like a 6 Cylinder Rolls Royce ..... AWESOME!!!
20170515_093321.jpg
All the best
Christian
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
gamh44

Post by gamh44 »

Asteamahead

Congratulations on this milestone. Your workmanship is fantastic. I am very much looking forward to hearing and seeing it running on steam.

What are your plans for painting?

Geof