My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Geof and friends,
Now the smokebox will be completed by adding the smokebox door. So many little parts which afforded a lot of precise drilling on a turn table. The smoke box front plate will be fixed to the smoke box by just a handfull of srews for easy remove. The bigger number of srews which are to be seen in the photo are just dummies. Alltogether adding another 7 pounds of weight ...
The new front look will be shown at the Schackendorf meeting next week.
No CC-pumps yet, soory!

Asteamhead
Attachments
Just two handrails are still to be added.<br />Position markers will be fixed later, too
Just two handrails are still to be added.
Position markers will be fixed later, too
Outside ring spot welded to smokebox plate and cover plate
Outside ring spot welded to smokebox plate and cover plate
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends of the N&W,
The A 1239 had it's initial runs during the US-meeting at Sindelfingen. On late June we visited the steam days at Schackendorf (near Hamburg). We took the oportunity to run both Y6b 2172 and the A on the point of our hopper cars. Our dream became true! We had a lot of fun :lol: !
A friend of mine shot a nice portrait there. Some movies were taken, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGgEBPCIalo

Now it's up to complete the A by adding cab, domes, CC-pumps to feed the air brakepower revers and the 6 wheel tender boogies.
The HT stoker will be built in to try it's reliability at real steaming. After all, loco and tender are to be spray painted ....
Some more reports will follow as progress is going on.

Asteamhead
Attachments
Smoke box door now at it's place. Running like a Mercedes (as E.King once titled his superb book)
Smoke box door now at it's place. Running like a Mercedes (as E.King once titled his superb book)
Some 10 years of building culminated to this experience!
Some 10 years of building culminated to this experience!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very enjoyable view! Thanks for sharing.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends of the N&W,
Time to show some more of recent activities regarding my A 1239.
After running the engine on initial trips, some minor repairs and desirable improvements were made. Draft, steaming and feedwater supply are fine. Smooth runinng, response to the throttle (made of a ball cock), baker valve gear and steam brake are fine, too. An improved fire door will be used until the HT-stoker is installed into the tender. Coal of standard size can be used despite the somewhat narrow grate designed for use with stoker.
Last week the drawbar pull was measured with the A standing inside it's cage for transportation. Careful balancing the locomotive in horizontal position was necessary to get true results!
Total weight of the A is 770 pounds (350 kg). Friction weight is about 640 pounds (a little less than 300 kg).
Total rolling resistance back / forward was about 14 pounds (6.5 kg).
Drawbar pull from standstill / stall / no slipp was 136 pounds (62 kg) @ 110 psi full throttle, full forward gear).
Maximum drawbar pull was 143 pounds (65 kg @ 115 psi, 8 bar).
Drawbar pull when slipping started was 130 pounds (58 ... 62 kg).

Slipping of front and back engine could be balanced by means of slightly adjusting the device, desribed on a former page.

All measures were taken on dry profiles made of stainless steel and wheels made of cast bronze Gbz 12.
Thus ratio of safe friction was slightly above a factor of 0.2, which had been desired.
Hope, this may be of some interest to other modelers of this forum.

asteamhead
Attachments
Cage for safe transportation can be used as roller board or (short) rail for use with a drawbar scale, too
Cage for safe transportation can be used as roller board or (short) rail for use with a drawbar scale, too
Pulled off the rollers to roll / slip freely for some inches
Pulled off the rollers to roll / slip freely for some inches
A scale is hung on the tender main coupler bar.<br />The locomotive can run freely for about 5 inch
A scale is hung on the tender main coupler bar.
The locomotive can run freely for about 5 inch
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Amazing. Stunning. Beautiful.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

PRR5406,
Thank you! There are some news to report, regarding the HT-stoker.
Yesterday I managed to instal my stoker (waiting for some 10 years for this event) including all necessary connections and fittings to the A-boiler.
There were some improvements to make alternative hand firing more comfortable. Thus firing up the boiler by using wood is done in less than half an hour. From 50 psi and up the stoker will feed and distribute coal of fraction 1/4 " to 1/2 " automatically. Anthrazite coal was used but mixing by an amount of gas coal will improve quick ignition as desired.
With blower full on the firebed will change to bright yellow! :D
At a boiler preasure of 80 psi and more the stoker is able to feed sufficient amount of coal to deliver full steam to both the main engine and the feedwater device (injector)! Steam consumption of the stoker equipment is quite high yet.
Distribution can be adapted by means of the 5 jet valves and vanes. As a result a thin and plain fire can be achieved as intended with the prototype. Some photos and movies were taken to show the going at my test stand.
In case even more is needed, some shovels of coal or wood pellets(!) may placed into the firbox easily using the butterfly firedoor.
You see me quite lucky! Next year the A is intended to run heavy loads on rail then.

Asteamhead
Attachments
Backside of the A boiler
Backside of the A boiler
You can see the black coal thrown into the firebox
You can see the black coal thrown into the firebox
HT stoker head as separate part to be mounted on a bracket of the backside of the firebox by just 4 srews
HT stoker head as separate part to be mounted on a bracket of the backside of the firebox by just 4 srews
A placed in the transportation cage on rollers.<br />The stoker trough is placed on a bracket as replacement of the tender
A placed in the transportation cage on rollers.
The stoker trough is placed on a bracket as replacement of the tender
gamh44

Post by gamh44 »

Wow! What an achievement!
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends of the (N&W steam,
Before winter we took some oportunities to run my A with working stoker on the roller test bed. First to check if the stoker would produce ambient steam at constant firing rate. With a mix of antrazit coale and some lignite to produce bright flames, this worked out fine from 60 psi and above. The combined draft of jets and the blower resulted in a bright red to yellow fire. Then starting the engines free running on rollers brought the fire up to a bright yellow in short! At first the front engine took all the steam and preasure as long as the back engine was a little cold. Some tricky braking by means of wooden sticks gave a better balance. Working full throttle :lol: with a vengance at speed might look a bit frightening, I guess. But roller bearings throughout in combination with ample capacity of the boiler should allow to perform as tested!
Feedwater is no problem due to a superb 'superscale' injektor and a 6SA feedwater 'Link' pump, both reliable.
The videos were taken by steamchris, who enjoyed the test, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJeip-6 ... e=youtu.be

The stoker was integrated into the A's tender now. It can be removed easily as can the firedoor though. Additional firing by hand is still possible, if desirable f.e. during firing up the boiler.
Seems all to be ready then for the season 2018 on rails.
Have fun!
Asteamhead
Attachments
The complete stoker can be separated from the locomotive by just 4 bolts and one main steam connection
The complete stoker can be separated from the locomotive by just 4 bolts and one main steam connection
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Outstanding! Really enjoyed seeing the stoker work. Thanks for sharing the work you do.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Fender

Post by Fender »

A most impressive accomplishment! Are both engines running on high-pressure steam? That’s the only way I can understand how the front engine would be running, while the rear one isn’t. If the front engine was running low-pressure steam it would seem that the rear engine would have to spin also.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Really astounding work!
Thanks for the inspiration.
~RN
Fender

Post by Fender »

Sorry, my question about h.p. steam makes no sense. This is a class A with h.p. cylinders on both engines, but I was thinking it was a class Y with h.p. and l.p. cylinders.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN