My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello modelers,
Time to post some further progress regarding my project.
During summer I worked outdoors whenever weather allowed. A lot of work to complete the back engine with brakes, trailer, lubricating system, and some more parts. Not to forget some hundred bolts and nuts. Before this could be done yet, the engine bed made of lasered parts had to welded finaly. The TIG welds were made at some important points exclusively just were necessary, to avoid any unwanted twisting of parts.
Painting started with some parts which had been finished recently. Silicon high temperature colour showed good results by being sprayed and burned in for one hour.
Some of the missing parts were those bypass covers at the cylnders.
Automatic cylinder relief valves are under construction now.

Asteamhead
Attachments
Raw covers already milled and sliced
Raw covers already milled and sliced
Milling covers in pairs by means of a turntable
Milling covers in pairs by means of a turntable
A i mm cutter disc mouted on the lathe
A i mm cutter disc mouted on the lathe
Cutting edges to make a fit with cylinders
Cutting edges to make a fit with cylinders
Ready to assemble
Ready to assemble
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Some more fotos of the back engine
Asteamhead
Attachments
First part which was painted
First part which was painted
A trailer now painted.jpg
A back engine with brake piping (towards front engine).jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Dear Asteamhead,

I am simply in awe. Your loco gives new meaning to the term " German Engineering"!

Best regards
Glenn B.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Your loco gives new meaning to the term " German Engineering"!
Agreed! The fine detail and workmanship displayed in the model are very impressive!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And I am also in awe of your quality detailed work!
~RN
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Thank you all for your kind replies!
Look, my inspiration is to build a model of one of the finest steam locomotives ever constructed - and make it look and perform like the prototype as far as possible to me. And I'm glad about that kind recognition of the right people, who know all about our hobby, of course!
Let me close the chapter regarding the back engine by some more photos showing the arrangement of the rockers and an general look of that engine. One photo is showing the connections between the equalizers of the main drivers and the trailer's. These are a bit tricky. All connections are made with closed joints, different to those of the prototype. This is to avoid disengageing in case of derailments or lifting the locomotive off the rail.
As you may remember, the cases for transportation contain ball bearings to allow the wheels to be turned easily.
This helps adjusting the valve gear - or make a first run on steam. That is what I did today by means of a stationary boiler.
All worked well, no steam leaks were detected. The 2-outlet Nathan lubricator including check valves and the first of a series of automatic cylinder cocks, too worked under steam. You see me happy!

Asteamhead
Covers placed on the cylinders
Covers placed on the cylinders
Closed joints connected by a pin which is fixed by a srew. Lenghth of the vertical hangers may be adjusted by using a thread, if necessary
Closed joints connected by a pin which is fixed by a srew. Lenghth of the vertical hangers may be adjusted by using a thread, if necessary
Minimum curvature is 10 m radius. The trailer is held by a support to avoid disengageing in case of lifting or derailment
Minimum curvature is 10 m radius. The trailer is held by a support to avoid disengageing in case of lifting or derailment
The (half) cage for safe transportation has built in roller supports for the drivers
The (half) cage for safe transportation has built in roller supports for the drivers
Attachments
Heureka! First run on steam up to 100 psi<br />(speed had to be limited by using the brake!)
Heureka! First run on steam up to 100 psi
(speed had to be limited by using the brake!)
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello,
Some new items have been delivered to me just recently. The parts for use with the tender T95 trucks were sand casted of bronze. All those parts for the 4 trucks needed for both my A and steamchris' J are weighing in some 90 pounds. But milling them into the final dimensions will reduce their weight to about the half by making lots of chips ...
The steam operated automatic cylinder cocks are ready, too - and working. In case of interest, I'm willing to post some more details for use to the modelers.
Out- and inside are the same by using two identical printed patterns.<br />The foundation will be made of some lasered parts, connected by hidden bolts
Out- and inside are the same by using two identical printed patterns.
The foundation will be made of some lasered parts, connected by hidden bolts
Asteamhead
Working similar to the 'Crecent' and 'Okadee' prototypes as desribed in 'Locomotive Cyclopedia 1941'<br />Viton - O rings will be added onto the pistons.
Working similar to the 'Crecent' and 'Okadee' prototypes as desribed in 'Locomotive Cyclopedia 1941'
Viton - O rings will be added onto the pistons.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice looking sand castings!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

I need these Commonwealth T95 castings for a 1.5" J! Did you have the pattern and parts made or? They are fairly unique to the N&W engines and i have never seen them in any large scale.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Peter,
Sorry for I'm constructing in scale 1 in 10! Would be much easier to exchange parts and patterns in case of using the same scale which is common in the US - to me, too.
Thus I built new patterns of my own, for there wasn't any similar on the market. The patterns were made by means of Rapid Prototyping, not an easy job, believe me. The outside frames will be combined with a frame body made of lasered parts.
Luckily those last batch of As with Timken running gear got the improved T95 trucks which had already been in use with the J class. Thus it's made for 4 trucks minimum, not just for 2.
By the way, the elder Commonwealth trucks had been locking even better to me - but that's another story.

Harold,
We found a small casting cy. which was willing and able to sand cast our parts as 'bypacks' of some bigger jobs. Lost wax casting would go beyond our budget yet. Experience differs from one job to the next for we are just inferior customers. The same caster did a superious job on similar parts some years ago - hard to believe the parts had been just sand casted.

Asteamhead
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

Thanks for the information on the castings. I have someone who is able to make the 3d drawings from prints and can then make pattern as you have described. They must be scaled for the correct scale model! He said he is willing to do the drivers as well so I do not have to build them up as you have. I will try to collect as many parts as I can before locating a foundry to have the parts cast. This is a lifetime project, so i know it will take some time. Your work is inspiring!
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Peter,
Maybe some photos and scetches may help you?
I decided to make two identical patterns which were put back to back in the foundry to form just one. The inner sides will be connected to a frame made of lasered parts. Seemed to me the most easy way. As an advantage each casting with just one fine side can be used for most of the inner side is hidden. There's much milling to be done yet as to be seen in one scetch.

Asteamhead
Raw measures (1 in 10, metric)
Raw measures (1 in 10, metric)
All the milling to be done to the raw casting
All the milling to be done to the raw casting
Axle box and cover of SKF style (locking better in my opinion!)
Axle box and cover of SKF style (locking better in my opinion!)
Attachments
Half side pattern
Half side pattern
One rare photo of the J 611' tender truck
One rare photo of the J 611' tender truck