My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: A with Timken running gear

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
Just three more photos of some progress with my A.
Asteamhead
Attachments
A smokebox right side.JPGred.jpg
A smpkebox from top red.jpg
A front sight red.jpg
Steamchris

Re: A with Timken running gear

Post by Steamchris »

I love the double stack.

Kind Regards
Christian
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
Asteamhead

My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello to all friends of the N&W RR and lifesteam!
Starting today to continue my elder thread 'A with Timken running gear' in the Lifesteam forum in this better adapted forum now.
Harold, do you think it might be better to transfer my former thread into this one, too improveing access?
Let me start with the last item, the trailer first. For similar devices are used with a lot of modern locos, it might be of interest to some mdelers.
Starting with a batch of lasered sheets (for both my A and J 611 of steamchris), these were prepared by some bending and milling to the needed dimensions.
Next steps were to add (press) in some brackets and rings to the side sheets as long both sides were accessable. Some photos will show these steps.
More to come soon.

Asteamhead
Attachments
A, J Trailer lasered parts red.jpg
A Trailer rings and brakets to be pressed into the side sheets red.jpg
A Trailer parts to built the trailer red.jpg
A Trailer side bars, some welding done red.jpg
A Trailer welding the axle liners (first step)red.jpg
Asteamhead

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by Asteamhead »

More about welding the parts together.
To achieve the side bars and both in line and rectangular, several supports and clamps were in use.
Made of aluminium or copper they helped to reduce shrinking and deforming during TIG-welding.
To achieve exact assembly of side bars and front end was the most critical job then. There were a lot of spot welds carefully set first.
More to come.
Asteamhead
Attachments
A Trailer milling tapers 5 deg (1)red.jpg
A Trailer pedestal binders (3)red.jpg
A Trailer milling the pedestal binders red.jpg
A Trailer milling the eyebrows red.jpg
A Trailer frame welded partly (9)red.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Trailer axle boxes
The axle boxes were made of round bronze to hold a pair of ball bearings and one external slide ring due to the most dirty place of the loco where they are placed.
The liners being welded to the side bars will get a thin shoe made of bronze to improve precision.
Attachments
A Trailer clamping parts together (4)red.jpg
A Trailer axle box with cover red.jpg
A Trailer axle boxes with bearings red.jpg
A Trailer casted Timken covers on the lathe red.jpg
This photo belongs to those shown before. Shows how to make a series of brackets out of round bars very easily.
This photo belongs to those shown before. Shows how to make a series of brackets out of round bars very easily.
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Asteamhead, these are very helpful posts for me at this time as I want to complete the fabrication design drawings for my 4 wheel training truck. I know how to draw everything up in CAD, but don't have a hood grasp of how to form the two radiuses on the front of your inside and outside side frames. Can you explain or show how you did that on your pieces? Many thanks for showing us
your fine work.

Rob Gardner
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Rob,
Thank you for your kind recognition! I intended to explain the process of building to be useful for other modelers, fine!
The side sheets made of stainless steel were just 3 mm (1/8 ") thick. Thus they were bent by means of a strong vice and a hammer similar as shown with the L-profiles. A bending bank(?) was used, too for corrections. The front cover plates were used as templates all the time.To eleviate the bending process at sharp bends the sheets first got some caverns half of the thickness as to be seen in a former photo. This worked out well with every sort of narrow bends, even with thick sheets like the rocker plates f.e..
Bending the L-profiles was a much harder job yet due to their stiffness!
All precise bending had been done before starting the first weld to avoid any deforming of the frames.
Best luck to your work!
Asteamhead
Attachments
A Trailer bending the L-profiles by vice and hammer1 red.jpg
Hard work by means of a strong vice, 1 pound hammer using patterns
Hard work by means of a strong vice, 1 pound hammer using patterns
A Trailer bending the L-profiles using a tool with profile2 red.jpg
A Trailer welding the bended L-profiles red.jpg
Milled caverns are to bee seen at the uper right side sheet
Milled caverns are to bee seen at the uper right side sheet
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Rob,
Just one more photo showing the method to help bending by means of milled caverns on the inner side of metal sheets.
Asteamhead
Attachments
Showing method of bending narrow radiuses
Showing method of bending narrow radiuses
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello fans of modeling the N&W locomotives,
Today the equalizing system for use with the trailer has been completed, more than 60 parts! Everything is fitting now (width, length and mobility). Centers of axles are at the correct height, which is very important due to absence of any correction srews. Not at least all parts are to be assembled within the one piece welded frame without difficulties! Any disassembly will be eleviated by use of centerings on the bolts to drive them out of the bushings. Play is about 0.001 " in general.
Maximum mobility of both axles is about + / - 1/4 " at equalizers' extreme posititons. That's a little more than scaled down to accept any rail conditions not ideal.
There is some final welding work, before the frame will be sandblasted yet. Wheels and axles are to be turned, which is more a routine job, yet.

Asteamhead
Attachments
Trailer equalizers parts resp. assembled<br />Left / right identical with exeption of the twisted two front hangers
Trailer equalizers parts resp. assembled
Left / right identical with exeption of the twisted two front hangers
Trailer equalizers with all parts to be assembled
Trailer equalizers with all parts to be assembled
Method to sort and fix the leaf springs
Method to sort and fix the leaf springs
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Sorry, forget to mention two little items!
First, all equalizers got (partly) closed eyes, not to disconect in case of deraling or lifting the engine from track.
Second, each hanger got a radius seat, stuck in the spring under normal load. A thin bolt is seated in the hanger after assembly to assure this won't freeing off the spring under any condition.
Both items are to be seen on the photos above.

Asteamhead
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
some more progress these days to be reportet. All parts used with the trailer are ready for assembly now. Just one more professional sandblasting of the welded frame all made of stainless steel.
The rocker pockets including the rockers were the most time consuming parts to build and weld to the frame. Alltogether it took me some 300 hours of shop time...
The axles were a pleasure to build! Never before I had shrinked on high grade steel rims onto the casted wheels. With a little help from my friends, no problem - using a small pizza oven.

Astemhead
Attachments
Solid center borings in the axles helped to turn all fits very precisely
Solid center borings in the axles helped to turn all fits very precisely
Dimensions used for (cold) pressing on the wheels and shrinking the steel rims (230 °C) are given in mm.<br />Rims had been turned down to +2 mm before shrinking
Dimensions used for (cold) pressing on the wheels and shrinking the steel rims (230 °C) are given in mm.
Rims had been turned down to +2 mm before shrinking
Double ball bearings plus sealings are to be seen. The outer rings are pressed into the housings while the inner rings got a slide fit on the axle.<br />Thus housings may be removed if in case of service
Double ball bearings plus sealings are to be seen. The outer rings are pressed into the housings while the inner rings got a slide fit on the axle.
Thus housings may be removed if in case of service
After some more sandblasting ready for assembly - all parts are available now
After some more sandblasting ready for assembly - all parts are available now
Welding the thin parts of the pockets some cooling devices made of copper or aluminium were essential!
Welding the thin parts of the pockets some cooling devices made of copper or aluminium were essential!
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello again!
Hadn't published the rocker themselves yet. Construction followed the prototype with some minor changes: The angle of the rocker plates were reduced a bit in favour to reduce lateral forces on narrow curves. The side motion were increased somewhat to tolerate a 10 m (33 ') radius.
To avoid any disengage of parts in case of lifting the engine or derailments, some measures were made, too. Same was done with the spring rigging.
Some photos will explain.
All the best by
Asteamhead
Attachments
A pretty easy method to turn the sophisticated rocker seats
A pretty easy method to turn the sophisticated rocker seats
Please look at the semi-closed lever  eyes and the pin srews at the hangers.<br />All these help to avoid disengage of the equalizing system in case of lifting the locomotive
Please look at the semi-closed lever eyes and the pin srews at the hangers.
All these help to avoid disengage of the equalizing system in case of lifting the locomotive
Rocker parts before assembly
Rocker parts before assembly
A rocker in function red.jpg
Demonstration at an open rocker
Demonstration at an open rocker