Propane fired Mikado

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

Re: Propane fired Mikado

Post by ccvstmr »

Brad...do you mean to say your burner manifold is permanently mounted in the firebox? I wouldn't think so. If you can remove the trailing truck...if you can remove the burner manifold from the underside (no other way to get it out)...then there's probably a way you can add an arch. Adding an arch will NOT improve your burner operation...but it will most likely improve loco operation. The addition of turbulators in the flues will also improve heat exchange efficiency.

I will add, if you've been operating those burners at such high pressures...there's a good chance the burners have been over-fired and a better chance that the flues are covered with carbon and soot (unburned fuel). Carbon deposits will insulate and reduce heat exchange effectiveness. If you don't already have a gun barrel brush...you should see if you can borrow one or get one of your own. Of course, once the burner issues have been resolved, you won't need the brushes in the future.

You might want to look in the Chaski archives. There's many posts from years past about propane fired locos and maximizing the entire fuel, burner, heat exchanger systems. Check it out.

I would add...might be nice to post some photos of the equipment so other readers can follow. Just trying to help you out there pal. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Bmalone

Post by Bmalone »

The burner manifold is semi Perm mounted in the firebox. This is how the engine was built many years ago, and to get the burners out you have to raise the back of the boiler and cut a plate off.

There is room to go through the firebox door or under neith but not a lot. The boiler has just been rebuilt but it has been run several times since but the flu's are very clean still. I don't really have the "smell" everyone is talking about. I am very familiar with what they are talking about but the engine seems to be burning the fuel very clean, no smell.

I am going to see if I may can make a half arch, or something that will help. Don't get me wrong, the engine runs and fires very well, and I am running it at Eagle Point which is a Mountain railroad with long 2.5 percent grades. As well I am not putting around with 2 or 3 cars. Last week we pulled 16 cars around most of the afternoon.

I had the tanks filled yesterday and I used more of the propane then I thought. They put about 3.5 to 4 gallons back in each tank (20 pound tanks), so it did better on those tanks then I thought.

Our Spring meet is this week so we will see what the larger fuel line will do as well as trying to fit something in the firebox if possible. I will try and post some firebox pics later this week since the engine is currently in our roundhouse at the track.
Brad Malone
Rossville GA

GP-9
Electric Mogul
Little Engines Atlantic
Alco SW2
Kit bashed Mikado
Little Engines American
Bmalone

Post by Bmalone »

I got an arch installed on Tuesday and the Mike ran excellent. Was able to pull 5 Mountain Car Pullmans and 3 other passenger cars with a railway express box car and my propane box car up a 2% grade and build preasure. Was actually popping off at the top of the grade.

So it looks like the arch and bigger propane line helped ALOT. I also had no freezing of tank and was able to run 3 days, about 25 hours off the 3 tanks in parallel. Will be at Mid South this week running.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Brad Malone
Rossville GA

GP-9
Electric Mogul
Little Engines Atlantic
Alco SW2
Kit bashed Mikado
Little Engines American
NP317