D&RG Long Caboose in 3" scale

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harlock

Re: D&RG Long Caboose in 3" scale

Post by Harlock »

jcbrock wrote:I too look forward to this project too Mike. A couple of tablesaw safety suggestions from your photos:

Putting a fingerboard on the outfeed side of the blade is going to want to close the kerf and potentially cause kickback. It seems safer to keep them on the infeed side only if you're creating an open-kerfed cut.
That's a good point thanks. Fortunately in this case the panels were thick enough that it did not close the gap. I always stand clear of the kickback range off to the side as well. I had a good kickback happen once with some thinner stuff, did not hit me but was scary. The attachments included with this saw to help prevent kickback are badly designed and worse than useless especially for thicker pieces. I gave up on using them for now.
jcbrock wrote:When using the miter gauge to cut off and the fence as a stop block, I'd put a short spacer block against the fence and use that as the stop. Then when you slide the work through the blade, the cutoff is not trapped between the blade and the fence where it can be caught and thrown, as the spacer block gives you a gap between the cutoff and the fence.

My 2 cents, just trying to offer suggestions to make things safer. Table saws are scary.
And that one too! Thanks again for the tips.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

This is great and quite timely for me as I have plans to start on my 6" scale D&RG 4-wheel flat car this fall for my 18" gauge railway:

https://unknownidaho.wordpress.com/2016 ... ilroading/

I will probably not be as precise in my measurements as it is hard to find a 36" caliper for the crossbeams but I think I can do it!
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

RussellCofIdaho wrote:This is great and quite timely for me as I have plans to start on my 6" scale D&RG 4-wheel flat car this fall for my 18" gauge railway:

I will probably not be as precise in my measurements as it is hard to find a 36" caliper for the crossbeams but I think I can do it!
Half size? At that point you can ditch the curmugeon calipers! Do post pictures as you go. :) I have a 15" gauge project in the wings but it's a ways off, the backlog is stacked...
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Harlock wrote:
RussellCofIdaho wrote:This is great and quite timely for me as I have plans to start on my 6" scale D&RG 4-wheel flat car this fall for my 18" gauge railway:

Half size? At that point you can ditch the curmugeon calipers! Do post pictures as you go. :) I have a 15" gauge project in the wings but it's a ways off, the backlog is stacked...
I've got a lot of projects too, O scale, On30 and 18" gauge.

Your name looked familiar, I found your photos of the 18" gauge Coffman Prairie in an internet search and we had quite a discussion on the 18inch group on Yahoo about it this spring. Found another 18" gauge prairie for sale in North Carolina but it would be way beyond the budget to ever bring it to Idaho so I'll work on my flatcar and 3/4 sized speeder this winter hopefully...

I have plans for a 2hp V-twin steam engine for the speeder in my head, maybe it will make it to the lathe someday...
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Hey Mike,

Any updates on this project ?

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

DJSteamer3017 wrote:Hey Mike,

Any updates on this project ?

David
It is stalled because the customer decided he wanted a combine instead of a caboose. So, I can either chuck this frame and start over, or try to adapt it as a combine by removing the buffers and adding a platform extension. If I start over, I could finish this out as a caboose for myself, but I don't really need another one. :?