tender plans

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

chet86

tender plans

Post by chet86 »

Does anybody make plans for a 1 1/2" scale 7 1/2" gauge commonwealth tender, or does anybody have any thing to help me get started.
I'am using trucks from little engines

chet86
chet86

Re: tender plans

Post by chet86 »

can someone help me get started. What material do most use for the frame

chet86
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Hi Chet86,

There is a thread created by Carddo on building a Martin Lewis Little Engines tender.
The fitting of the frame starts about here: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... &start=108

It will give you a bit of an insight into tender construction and what is involved for this particular style (even if it's not yours), I would guess that there will be more similarities than differences for the style you want to build. :D

I would also suggest that you try using the search feature of this form, there is a wealth of information on this site.

Brook
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

The seem to be two general approaches to construction - authentic modeling of traditional riveted channel iron frames, or perceived quicker method of welding box steel for a 6' stand off appearance. Both work well and are functional. The thread mentioned above is a really nice example of traditional construction technique and materials. I guess to start, you should decide ehich approach to follow.

I've thought about weld g channel iron but Am now leaning towards building with riveted channel - mostly because it is hard to control warping and distortion when welding. Not impossible, but small structures are susceptible to distortion and frame twisting when you put welding heat into the frame at the various locations. Once you've welded it, it's hard to undo mistakes. Also welding istime consuming to properly clean up splatter/flash rust around all the little corners one encounters in 1.6" scale, then paint afterwards. So maybe no real time savings between welding and riveting...

Just some thoughts as you explore how to begin...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....