Anyone building a bobber caboose?

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

Anyone building a bobber caboose?

Post by OddDuck »

A month or so ago someone (thanks Charlie Vlk!) sent me nice clear plans with good dimensions for bobber caboose pedestals. Well, did some pattern work, and here's the first cast. Still have to do the journal boxes. I plan on doing a few different styles, like a vintage 1880's USRA standard pedestal. I'm going to be doing a run of them over the next month or so, asking price is going to be $250 in brass or cast iron, $150 for aluminum. No, I am not taking pre-orders, I will let everyone know when they are ready to go.
Attachments
20161029_153942.jpg
20161029_154008.jpg
20161029_154022.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Re: Anyone building a bobber caboose?

Post by OddDuck »

That's per set, by the by. I'm not making them out of gold...
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I'm working on the journal box pattern now, and I've asked a couple people already and of course I've gotten conflicting answers. Would there be any interest in a semi-prototypically correct solid half-bearing? It's a reasonably simple matter of making two different cores, and a pattern for the bearing. I may do it anyways, just to say I have. Any thoughts?
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I am looking at helping friends build two of these scaled up to 1.5 inch per foot.

I would be interested in your castings as it would save me a lot of work and look much better as to scale.

Can you post a dimensioned drawing of their scaled size?

My attempt at suspension was non scale to say the least
DSC_3801.jpg
Attachments
Scan 2.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I'll see if I can post the original plans, they are on my email account and I have to figure out how to get it here. Roughly right the castings are about 3 3/4" tall overall (off the top of my head, I'm at work at the moment...) and the journal slide is 1" wide, and about 1" from the front of the slide to the back slide. I am working on the matchplate for the pedestals, journal boxes and box covers, I want to have them done by the end of the week and start producing them by next week. Oh, the journal boxes are going to be a simple core, 3/4" round running most of the length of the box. I didn't get any positive responses about half bearings, so I'm not going to go through the P.I.T.A. of figuring that out.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

PM on the way
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Well, three different devices and I have to resort to taking a pic of the ones I printed out and posting them. Aint technology great? I'm also attaching a pic of the next in the series, not USRA as I previously misstated but Master Car Builder's standard circa 1880's. On closer examination of the second plan I have to make a second corebox, but I've got the technique for them pretty much down so they will follow pretty soon. I need to find a good set of plans for PRR pedestals and I will be doing those as well in the near future.
Attachments
IMAG0121.jpg
IMAG0117.jpg