Allen Models 0-4-0 Build- MS&S #14

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

318J

Re: Allen Models 0-4-0 Build- MS&S #14

Post by 318J »

Today I fabricated the frame for the auxiliary tender. Using boxtube, C-Channel, and angle iron, I loosely based it off of my Allen Models prints and photos I've seen floating around of other auxiliary tender builds.
20180302_131204.jpg
The fabrication was fairly straight forward, simply cut all the material to length and tack-weld them together. The tacks are malleable enough to allow for some adjustment after intial fitup, so that it can be squared and all dimensions double-check for final welding. Then, using several clamps to prevent movement, I Heli-Arced (TIG welded) the frame.

Using a torch, I heated the weld seams to red-hot, then slowly allowed them to cool so that they would be stress-relieved.

Finally, I added three bracing-plates crosswise to the frame to prevent any possible bending under load.
20180302_133254.jpg
Definately overbuilt for sure, but it's a great feeling when you see your results get better and better as you gain more and more expirience. I can't wait to finish the aux tender tank so I can show how much more capable I've become since I fabricated that not-so-great tender tank last spring.

In case anyone is wondering, this aux-tender has an overall length of 30'' and will have a 30''x14''x9'' tank, which should hold somewhere around 8-10 extra gallons of water.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In regards to the rest of the locomotive, I have also finished the framing for the aux-tender tank, and picked up 30 lbs of 16 ga. steel to rivet/weld on to complete the tank. Hopefully the aux tender will be fully detailed and completed by June, as I still have to finish the tank, coupler pockets, center plates for the trucks, and detailing, paint, ect.

I cut down an 8.5'' schedule 40 pipe for the smokebox, which I will be able to drill and tap to mount the smokebox front to once it has been machined to accept it.

Machine work continues on the frame.... slowly. (Hey, I'm a welder, not a machinist! Give me a boiler to tackle! hehe)

And a number of other things which are in the works but have not yet been started, but that will have to be for another update. Thanks for checking in!
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Great job!
I had a welded steel tank for my 0-4-0 with drive screws for dummy rivets. It warped all over the place, too. Don't sweat it.
Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Great Job on the tender. We have the water jet frames now and working on tooling for the cut and punch leaf springs. These and all other Allen Models spring packs are going to be offer soon and in stock. Soon we are going to offer the 30" and 36" tenders that are laser cut. Still in development at this time. We have a proto type done. Just need time to finish it and price it.
Steve Alley
Allen Models