Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

User avatar
Marty_Knox
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Marty_Knox » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:49 pm

In January 2016 I made a deal to acquire a 2.5" scale 4-6-0. Because of the red paint I dubbed it the 'Scarlet Harlot'. I thought I could do a little work, get it running good, then sell it. Well, things didn't work out quite that way. Here it is when I first got it.
Attachments
72715 273.JPG
72715 278.JPG

User avatar
NP317
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Northern Oregon

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by NP317 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:49 am

And now?
~RN

Hudson Honey
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:56 am
Location: San Diego area

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Hudson Honey » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:21 am

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......please tell me it's gone. I still have nightmares about that thing.

Green is good......photos......we need photos.

Pamela

User avatar
Marty_Knox
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Marty_Knox » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Latest pictures, setting her on her wheels last Wednesday.
Attachments
141.JPG
142.JPG
146.JPG
153.JPG

User avatar
Marty_Knox
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Marty_Knox » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:24 pm

First thing I decided was to paint her. Next was, the stack had to go! I have a pattern for a stack cap about the right size, so I had two cast in yellow brass.
Attachments
002.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG
018.JPG

User avatar
Marty_Knox
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Marty_Knox » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:28 pm

I went ahead and cut down the tender, taking 3" off the bottom. I was trying different shades of green at this point
Attachments
013.JPG
020.JPG

User avatar
Marty_Knox
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Marty_Knox » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:46 pm

Here you go, Pam! Green!
Attachments
028.JPG
029.JPG
030.JPG

User avatar
Marty_Knox
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Marty_Knox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:11 am

Some pictures from today. The boiler and cab are just set on for now.
Attachments
009.JPG
014.JPG

Soot n' Cinders
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:24 pm
Location: Marietta, Georgia

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Soot n' Cinders » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:09 pm

Looks good Marty! Almost like one of the Tweetsie locomotives.
I don't know if it's just me, but that pilot looks a little long
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

User avatar
Marty_Knox
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Marty_Knox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:23 pm

It's not just you, Tristan - it's long! I'm still not sure if I'm going to use it.

User avatar
Fender
Posts: 2477
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Fender » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Much improved tender ;-)
Dan Watson

User avatar
Marty_Knox
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Turning the Scarlet Harlot into the Green Goddess

Post by Marty_Knox » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:49 pm

While the paint is the most prominent change, the mechanical work will make a greater difference. The left frame was 3/16" ahead of the right frame, the rocker boxes were mounted at an angle, and the drilled ports only had a tiny opening into the cylinders. I also modified the exhaust passages to separate them and give the proper turn. I milled away part of the solid saddle so I could use a Little Engines Pacific exhaust stand and blast pipe.
Attachments
004.JPG
008.JPG
014.JPG
026.JPG

Post Reply