Martin Evans' "Greene King" 4-6-0 3-1/2" gauge build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Max_Simons

Re: RE: Re: Martin Evans'

Post by Max_Simons »

Builder01 wrote:Hi Max,

Sounds like a fun project! Also sounds like you have the tools and experience to get the machining part of the job done. More than anything, building a locomotive is an exercise in time management. I hope you will be able to join a club near you that has a track of appropriate gauge. Does the "kit" include material for the boiler?

David

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Builder01

Re: Martin Evans'

Post by Builder01 »

Wow! That is certainly one heck of a "kit"! The boiler looks to be pretty much finished and judging from the color, it looks like steel, rather than copper. Also looks like the frames and some of the suspension might be finished. Possibly the driver wheels also. Cylinders look like some machining has been done. Maybe the tender tank is finished? What a great catch, good for you!

David
Max_Simons

Re: Martin Evans' "Greene King" 4-6-0 3-1/2" gauge build

Post by Max_Simons »

Thank you very much!! I will get the kit on Friday or Monday and I will see what is ready for sure

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Even if the boiler is not useable, you still got a good buy.
~RN
Max_Simons

Re: RE: Re: Martin Evans'

Post by Max_Simons »

NP317 wrote:Even if the boiler is not useable, you still got a good buy.
~RN
That's good to know! Thanks!

Max_Simons

Post by Max_Simons »

Max_Simons

Post by Max_Simons »

Some of the castings have some really bad blowouts

Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Hi Max,

"Got the train?"

To me, it actually looks more like locomotive parts! I'm pretty sure, a train, is what the loco pulls. At any rate, you have one nice collection of castings and parts. Are you close to a club that has this gauge?

Too bad you are not able to post the photos as attachments. It is sort of a pain to have to paste the address of each photo into my browser just to get a look. Maybe I'm doing it wrong!

David
Max_Simons

Post by Max_Simons »

Oops! The cardinal sin! I meant locomotive!! I'm close to a club, but they are 7-1/4". I'm hoping that reeves will replace the blown out castings.

LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Builder01 wrote:Hi Max,

"Got the train?"

To me, it actually looks more like locomotive parts! I'm pretty sure, a train, is what the loco pulls.
David
Just as some back ground, I am a retired Lehigh Valley Railroad locomotive engineer, and I also spent time as a Road Foreman of Engines on Conrail. The reason I am replying is to talk about what constitutes "a train."
Yes in general terms a train is what the locomotive pulls. But on real railroads there is a very specific definition of what actually constitutes a train. By definition a "train" is one or more locomotives coupled, either with or without cars and displaying markers. So a single locomotive can legally be a train, so long as the rear markers are illuminated. A light engine move to balance power would still be listed by the dispatcher as an "extra" train denoted by the engines number.
The reason the "train" must be displaying markers is to show other trains or tower operators that the train is complete.
Keith Taylor