1905 CNJ Hopper in progress

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

PRR5406

1905 CNJ Hopper in progress

Post by PRR5406 »

My backyard track is going down as Maine weather permits. It looks like a large paramecium, and to date about half the rail is down, including a 60 ft. trestle. Carrying ballast has been done with wheel barrow, garden cart, and now (we hope) with a hopper. This isn't a regulation MOW ballast hopper. I wanted something "old school", looking like what used to be run-of-the-mill during steam days as well as my youth. This is 16ga. steel with a frame made from scrap bed rails, fished off the town transfer station, and some scrap 1" "C" channel. The sketches on the side depict me (with glasses) and my 6 year old buddy, Hunter, who came to watch me weld. Once everything is ground smooth and the finish is where I want it, I'll prime it and paint it black, then decal it for the CNJ, with a Liberty herald. I run a Reading A5a Camelback and decided to keep the coal theme relevant. When it's all prime, painted, and purty, I'm going to have Hunter reapply his artwork to one side, making it look authentic and giving him some ownership.

I'll post again when we have something more finished.
DSC_2061a.jpg
DSC_2062a.jpg
DSC_2067a.jpg
Attachments
DSC_2058a.jpg
DSC_2059a.jpg
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Max_Simons

Re: 1905 CNJ Hopper in progress

Post by Max_Simons »

Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

The hopper car I started back in the early winter is almost ready to roll. I have to do a little touch up work and paint the interior before I fill it with rock to ballast my ever growing, albeit slowly, layout.
This is a picture taken by my daughter last night, showing my little buddy Hunter, sitting in the hopper car. Hunter is six. You might remember how I gave Hunter permission to draw on the unpainted steel sides last winter. I decided I wanted him to decorate one painted side when it was completed. I caught a little bit of grief from others in the live steam community about allowing him to do that.
A few words about Hunter.
1. He is the son of my daughter's boyfriend, by a previous marriage. Hunter is six years old.
2. Hunter likes big machines, "The Incredible Hulk", and playing "Uno"; Hunter loves animals and being held while he's read a story. He also loves hugs.
3. A typical conversation with Hunter goes like this:
"Are you in the bathroom?"
(Answer) "Yes."
"Can I come in?"
(Answer) "No, I'm using the toilet."
"Okay. I'll wait by the door."

The drawings on the side of the hopper depict me, Hunter, his Dad (you can tell, Dad has a goatee), my daughter, my wife, and his sister (who at ten, is worldly wise).
I don't know how long those pictures will last, but they will stay indefinitely. The other side will be decaled for the CNJ, complete with Liberty logo. If you don't understand my reasoning, you never will.
Hunter.jpg
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Ten points!
Hunter is fortunate to know you.
~RN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Well said! We need a "Like" button for posts like these!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Dick,

You are helping make some really special, hopefully permanent, memories for Hunter and his sister. Way to go! Can't wait to see Hunter running your A5 pulling your ballast car, too!

Rob
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Decaled with "Hi-Ball Graphics" lettering. One side is clean, the other has Hunter graffiti in place. I over sprayed the lettering with Frog-Juice aerosol to hinder peeling.