Romulus build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Fred_V

Re: Romulus build

Post by Fred_V »

The last two days saw good progress. The lubricator is installed. Being a single pumper it is connected to the steam supply fitting on the front flue sheet.
Also got the throttle lever and packing gland installed. I'll take another pic of the throttle as this one isn't good.
Attachments
lub feed.JPG
lubricator.JPG
throttle arm.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

This morning I made the blower ring and connecting fittings in front and backhead. Copper tube to the valve when I get to that.
Attachments
blower.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Where are the jets in the "ring"?

David
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Click on the pic to enlarge it and look closely. You will fine 4 #60 drilled holes per the prints.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Yes, I think I can just see them. It looks like they are drilled on the top edge of the tube. How did you de-burr each of the holes on the inside of the tube? (the outside would be easy!)

David
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

no way to deburr the inside and I wonder about the #60 drill size. This is the first I've made one like this so will have to wait and see. I usually make the ring that is part of the blast nozzle or a tube that just points up the stack.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

The original blower ring on the Shay was pretty much like "So You Want to Build a Live Steamer" but I found that when burning oil the small holes liked to plug. It was a PITA to use a little No. 60 drill to unclog them. I installed a blower tube (1/4" copper ) with a nozzle silver soldered in the end. No more problems.

John B.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

With the inside not de-burred, I wonder how "directional" the jets will actually be. I guess I'm wondering, with burrs on the inside, and a relatively thin wall tube, will the burrs cause enough turbulence in the jet to make them shoot in strange directions? You might just be filling the smoke box with steam instead of shooting it up the chimney. Maybe, maybe not.

Yes, a fixed ring on the blast nozzle is a more traditional method for a blower, but, the copper "ring tube" might work also. Seems a little fragile though, when brushing out the flues.

David
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I think I'll let my wife blow some cigarette smoke through it and see what it looks like.
Flues are a good bit below the blower ring. The exhaust is more of a problem but the center ones can be brushed from the firedoor.

Erie is my birth place David.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I wonder if blowing through the tube will give the same action as steam through the holes at 100 psi. It will be interesting to see what happens!

Yes, Erie is my home. I have lived here for 14 years. Previously, I have mostly lived in large cities in the south west. I much prefer Erie.

David
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I have built several blower rings just like Fred has on this Romulus. I always canted the hole just slightly off-center towards the inside, and I've never had one that didn't work good and provide good draft.

As long as they are pointing up the stack, it should work just fine. If your're worried about it all being contained in the petticoat pipe, then make the blower ring a little bit smaller in diameter.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Here is the test. The smoke trail is quite weak compared to what steam will do but you can easily see the pattern. Looks like one hole (tot he far left) is tilted a bit to the outside. I'll adjust and try again.
Attachments
IMG_1590.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.