Romulus build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Fred_V

Re: Romulus build

Post by Fred_V »

Today I made 2 boiler check valves. I've made lots of these and they are quite easy to make.The second one is sitting on the steam chest below.
Attachments
IMG_1582.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Awesome! (Reply to blower jet test)

David
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Today was the firedoor. Well, some of it yesterday. A bit of paint will blend it all together. I already drilled the 4 corner holes to mount it; just need to tap 4 holes in the backhead. DON'T GO TOO DEEP!
Attachments
fire door.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Got the firedoor mounted today and started on the water gauge. Need to make the water valves and it will be done.
Attachments
IMG_1593.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Finished the water glass today.
Attachments
water gauge.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Today I finally got the throttle linkage worked out. The throttle rod came out of the back of the dome right in line with the manifold. This has worked well and is very smooth. The manifold will mount atop the 1/4" pipe or another suitable pipe.
Attachments
throttle.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Creative solution to the clearance problem.
Go around it!
~RN
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Today was manifold/valve day. I tried making the manifold into the valve body. The bonnet mounts to one side and the seat/outlet connection to the other side. To make this work a 3/8-32 hole is drilled/tapped straight through the manifold barstock. Another hole is drilled through the length of the manifold.

The bonnet and seat are each machined in one setting in the lathe. That insures that everything is concentric. The valve stem then lines up with the seat just like it does in a regular valve body assembly.

Since this build is a freelance design anything is possible and allows for some fun designs possibilities. There will be two of these valves (blower and a spare) plus a 1/8" pipe connection off the left end for a ball valve for injector steam. Other valves can be added to the manifold as needed such as a whistle valve.

I should have it all connected up tomorrow.
Attachments
valve parts.JPG
valve .JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Looks like a cool idea! Questions: are these parts machined from bronze or brass? Is the valve spindle fully captured?

Thanks,
David
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Builder01 wrote:Looks like a cool idea! Questions: are these parts machined from bronze or brass? Is the valve spindle fully captured?

Thanks,
David
Brass parts, SS valve stem. I forgot the packing gland nut that screws over the right hand side to seal the stem.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

If the thread diameter of the valve spindle near the handle is the same as the spindle, it is not captured. Not a big deal, just don't unscrew it while under steam! Is concern of de-zincification of brass parts no longer an issue for boiler fittings?

David
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

It would take 10 turns to unscrew it but it would be easy to turn the stem down and remake the nut.
I've never had a problem with brass fittings. i think the issue is if brass bits are inside the boiler in constant contact with the water.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.