New big boiler build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Oktrainboys

New big boiler build

Post by Oktrainboys »

Well, the time has come. Tintern Abbey, Builder John Haines 6" to the foot RHDR Green Goddess class replica is in need of a new boiler. The 12" barrel with steel tubes boiler finally experienced a leaking flue on Thursday 12.28.16. She is a spritely 34 years old. We want to have an all new boiler built using the pulled existing boiler as an on build-site pattern. Non superheated and perhaps this time with copper rather than steel flues. Only need the boiler build, no tear down or re-installation will be needed. Wasatch and Godshall's of course are on our radar but am soliciting recommendations from the folks on this board 0f skilled boilermakers in the hobby that would be GEOGRAPHICALLY CLOSER to our Mill Creek Railway in OKC, Oklahoma. We would DELIVER the boiler to the boilermaker. A large boiler for the 7.5" gauge. And Thank You in advance for the tremendous knowledge that is ever present on this board!
Attachments
TA12.12.15station.jpg
TA12.12.15yarda.jpg
TABoiler.jpg
Soot n' Cinders

Re: New big boiler build

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

You won't be disappointed with Marty Knox!
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

Isn't Marty Knox in Texas??? We are thinking that the shell is very much re-usable as it is VERY thick, but everything else must be new, including inner firebox.
Attachments
image.jpg
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Oktrainboys wrote:Isn't Marty Knox in Texas???
I have been in Michigan since 1990, when I moved north to work at the Huckleberry Railroad in Flint, Michigan.
I lived in Texas exactly 4 years, arriving January 6, 1986, and leaving January 6, 1990.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Question: are you basing the decision to replace the whole boiler (vs. replacing just the tubes) on its age, or on the overall condition of the boiler? I have a mogul with a steel boiler that originally had steel tubes, and the tubes failed after several years. It was re-tubed with copper and is still going strong. With the cheap availability of ultrasonic thickness testing equipment nowadays, it's easy to check.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Moron

Post by Moron »

Godshalls is always great. Would highly recommend
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

Hi Dan, the boiler shell is very thick and it can likely be re-used. Everything else will need to be replaced. I would like to find a reputable boiler maker in the hobby that is close by to Oklahoma.
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

So nobody on this board can offer a solid recommendation for a boilermaker in this hobby that lives in Texas, Kansas or Missouri??
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

For a project of that size, distance should not figure into the equation. That's what they make delivery trucks for! Heck, I would deliver a boiler to anywhere in the US and Canada.

Jim B
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

Not exactly sure what point or inference you are attempting to make, but your comment is irrelevant to this topic and I find it irritating. Note to moderators, please feel free to delete my post here and the one above this post.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

There aren't many professional boilermakers for the hobby in the country. I don't know of any in Texas, Kansas, or Missouri. Compared to the cost of the boiler itself, freight shipping is not that expensive and opens up some of the best boilermakers in the country as an option.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Continental Boiler in St. Louis does boilers. They are currently doing work for the Wabash, Frisco and Pacific Railroad. Also, they are doing the Chicago and Northwestern 1385. They also did the boiler for the Monticello Railway Museum's Southern 401.

I suggest reaching out to Marty Knox. He does great work and from what I understand, is very easy to work with. Yes, it's a significant distance from Oklahoma, but as someone stated, that's what delivery trucks are for. Or even better -- drive on up there, and hit up the several steam operations in the general region as part of your trip, and meet a great guy!

Ray Pennell of Steam Age USA was in Texas, but he passed away a while back.

One of the vendors that you mentioned in your original post does great work in the 1.5" scale market from what I have heard and seen through social media, and so he has my recommendation.