7 1/2 gauge 4" Hunslet build, Reeves castings

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

lucius Gale

7 1/2 gauge 4" Hunslet build, Reeves castings

Post by lucius Gale »

This is a new blog/thread/whatever 4" scale, 7 1/2 gauge Hunslet build using the Reeves casting kit with drawings and laser cut side frames. Those parts are ordered and maybe 2-3 weeks they will be here. I am a total newbie concerning locomotives so I'm not even sure what all comes in the box and at this point I only have a general idea of what else I will need to get. The purpose of this thread is twofold: First will be to get advice as I go along and second is maybe someone else will find the novice information useful for their questions if they are thinking about following the same path.

I am not sure exactly how I will approach the build at this point. Probably build up the frame, machine the running gear and then the proverbial "running on air" and see how it goes from there. I am mainly interested in machining and then firing and running the engine. I am not so interested in exact scale or fine detail to the prototype. That said I will attempt to make it as close as economically (time and money) possible to "correct". This will be a half cab build.

I am retired and old enough to know that this may be "the journey" and not the destination. Someone else may have to take it from wherever I am unable to finish.

I have a decent home machine shop and good gearhead skills with my life's work having been electronics communication and earlier motorcycle mechanic. I am pretty well versed in the operation of most tools and I even had a stint as an apprentice machinist in a real machine shop for 3-4 months. I will say in advance Thank You to all who answer questions and offer advice.
lucius Gale

Re: 7 1/2 gauge 4" Hunslet build, Reeves castings

Post by lucius Gale »

My first question while waiting for parts to arrive is about fasteners. While I do not have the drawings yet, I am aware that these locomotives are usually built with something called "BA" type. I assume that is a British thread form (I should go grab machinery's handbook I guess). I have also read of a couple of builds using metric and maybe standard American hardware. I am familiar with aircraft (AN) type bolts and would prefer to use those. I would appreciate a discussion about the merits of using one type or another. Off the top of my head price and availability comes to mind concerning using U.S. type hardware. Grade 5 hardware or AN seems the best to me.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Lucius,

Hopefully who ever made up the drawings will have converted to standard modern fastenings. If not I think it would be a nightmare to acquire and maintain the tooling needed to work with BA fastenings - taps, dies, drills, reamers, etc. - as these style fasteners seem to be an antique standard, long gone out of general useage, and probably never to be found locally here in the PNW. Much better to use US national standard, or metric, from a supply and availability standpoint.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I am also building an English locomotive from drawings. The drawings all use model engineer and BA (British Association) threads. I made myself a chart that shows the diameters of the BA threads and the equivalent standard U.S, machine screw threads. As a result, I have used all standard U.S. fasteners and it works just fine. I did though, purchase some special taps for fabrication of some of the parts as they required extra fine threads, like 5/16-32 and 1/4-40. These are actually standard taps available from McMaster Carr, or, more inexpensively from Ebay. I did not purchase the matching dies for these special taps, as I prefer to single point most of the male threads.

By the way, what part of the country are you located?

David
lucius Gale

Post by lucius Gale »

I am located on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State to answer David's question. The closest track is Kitsap Live Steamers. I talked to one of their members in Tacoma at a model railroad event at Christmas and that kind of kicked me into gear on this. I also have a Little Engines 440 chassis I was working on but that has been on the shelf for a long time. I have 15 wooded acres and a saw mill so I will be on the lookout for some rail at some point possibly.

I have a lot of aircraft hardware and most of it is fine thread and I think would be a good choice for me.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I'm glad to hear you have found a club even though is may be a bit far from you. "My club track" is four hours away, but, worth every minute it takes to get there.

Yes, if you already have a bunch of hardware, and tooling to make the matching threads, that would be a logical way to go.

David
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi lucius,

I talked to Conrad this morning at our old-timers breakfast. He said one thing to watch for is to check the IBLS track gauge standards against the drawings, as the drawings are different, and you will need to turn the Reeves wheels to fit the American IBLS wheel profile.

He added a two wheel pony truck to the front of his Hunslets to improve tracking. Says it makes a big difference.

Also there is a thread somewhere that documents all the changes one needs to make to convert the loco to a proper 71/2" ga loco. Apparently it is more complicated than merely adding 1/4" to some frame parts.

Also noticed on the Reeve website this AM, their front page drawings contain a chart that presents UK AB thread conversion to the equivalent American national standard threads. so maybe you'll be in good shape for American Threads.

There is a way to post your location under your name on the forum postings. it helps other forum members better respond to questions and comments etc! Also I've found builds a sense of local community when regional issues come up. :D

Regards
Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

lucius Gale

Post by lucius Gale »

Glenn I tried to find that chart for the fasteners but could not located the web page? I would appreciate it if you could post the link here.

Also good info on the wheels. I'll research those before cutting.

Thank You
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

lucius Gale wrote:Glenn I tried to find that chart for the fasteners but could not located the web page? I would appreciate it if you could post the link here.

Also good info on the wheels. I'll research those before cutting.

Thank You
Lucius, here it is: http://www.ajreeves.com/4695.html

Hard to read on the sample drawing. Look on the lower right box on the cover sheet. It contains the conversion chart. Might be Reeves can send this to you in some kind of spread sheet. Maybe they include in all their drawing sets??

Iam also interested in determining if this Hunslet set can be built in 12" gauge.

Glenn

lucius Gale

Post by lucius Gale »

Well just spent a frustrating hour trying to post pictures of the castings. I am a drag and drop type and not much on saving to remote sites so I won't be doing pictures for now.

That said I think my castings were sent from England last Friday and they showed up here Monday afternoon! 4 days for 250 pounds of metal! They look really good and I am glad I bought the whole package. 99.99 percent satisfaction from Reeves and Kate!

Now for the nitpiks: The drawings have some ancient handwritten notes on them and they mostly have faded to where you cannot see them. No raw materials list (I'll try and make one as I go along).It seems a little booklet about order and notes would be good? And that's about it so far. Very happy.

I want to start on the end buffer frames and right off the bat there appear to be two types. "A" and "B" type. I don't know what A & B means? Two different styles? I want to order the raw metal 1/4 thick but there is no current spec so I am thinking cold rolled 1018 and I am not sure how wide the pieces should be, i.e. 4", 5" or 6"? I think I have to order 4 1/2" for both buffers as the end of the side frames taper "up" and stop at 4 1/2" high. I will have to trim the 1/4 X 5 X 21.x long pieces for the buffer to 4 1/2" from a 5" piece. Anyone have any thoughts?
EnidPuceflange

Post by EnidPuceflange »

I just checked on my set of plans and I went with the B frames - those are 6" by 1/4" strip.

When you're attaching the 1" angle to the top to carry the deck plate don't forget to leave 60 thou for it to sit flush. Don't ask why I know this :(
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Don't forget to check and resize everything to accommodate the larger gauge! Apparently there are MANY changes to the frame and engine. I have heard someone has an online a discussion of all the needed changes. (I don't know who).

Glenn