Tender Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: Tender Build

Post by NP317 »

I've decided on the metal water tank sealant: U-POL Raptor truck bed liner.
https://smile.amazon.com/U-POL-5010-Rap ... ptor+liner

This 2-part bed liner has been used by a fellow Live Steamer with good results. It is supposed to remain flexible after curing. I've not seen his results in person; Just have his recommendation.

The tender tank interior has been primed with a flat automotive paint, which should bond well with the liner material.
The bottom is powder-coated and it's beautiful smooth surface will be scuffed, cleaned, and painted with this compound designed to increase adhesion of the Raptor liner:
https://smile.amazon.com/U-Pol-Products ... er+-+450ml

If any of you have experience - good or bad - with this material, I would appreciate your comments, especially before I use it!

I hope to get to this task in several weeks. I'm still finishing some electrical trouble-shooting and improvements to my 1973 Datsun 240Z, purchased new by my mother! It's in prime original condition, a daily driver, and worth keeping me away (for a little bit...) from my beloved steam projects!
~RN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Have made some progress on handrails and riveting the tank to the base plate.
I am now preparing/sealing the tank bottom, prior to coating the interior with the Raptor bed liner.

Most of my time has been doing good-weather outside projects, preparing for winter. Also shopping for a new pickup truck. Every 18 years or so... This will probably be my last one ever, and 4-wheel drive for the snows here. Getting snowed in here simply provides shop time to make more progress on the locomotive and tender!

The handrails are 3/16" steel rod, heat-bent over mandrels designed for the job. Then brass "pads" are silver brazed onto the ends, and drilled for mounting bolts.
Lots of fiddly work, but the results are robust and look OK.
~RN
Attachments
2-8-2 Tender hand rail small.jpg
2-8-2 Tender hand rails small.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Russ,

Great job on your tender riveting. What size rivets are you using and what material are they? I'd like to try something similar...

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
Those rivets are (I believe) 3/32" diameter, steel. Not difficult to set. Four WHACKS! with the hammer against the set tool.
They are the standard ones supplied with the Locoparts tender kits.
Worked well.

Off the subject, yesterday I bought a new Chevy Colorado crew cab long bed truck! Feels really big compared to my 2K Ford Ranger extra cab.
Technology improvements: Ranger: 3L V6, 160 HP. Colorado 3.6L V6, 300+ HP. Same or better gas mileage. I like that.
Now I need to change the height of my two locomotive stands so I can haul The Beasts in this new truck.
Cause / effect. So goes life. But I expect this to be my last truck purchase. They can haul my ashes away in it decades from now.

Life is good and we get to build large-scale train stuff.
~RN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, 4 WHACKS x 750 rivets = a lot of whacking of rivets. Looks great though- well worth the time.

Iam impressed with your new truck. Very surprised about the gas mileage. I'd like to step up, literally, into a new full size pickup and likewise sell my old ford Ranger. Not enuf payload for larger loco's...

Stop by for breakfast some Wednesday!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
BobCoalBurner

Post by BobCoalBurner »

I've been excited about following this post. I have the same tender kit and I will be needing to do the same extension of the top rails and possibly shortening the tender but I kind of like the idea of having somewhere nice to sit. I was hoping you had some pics on how you bent and installed the 1/2 round edging. Do you have pics of locomotive that will be pulling that tender around?
Attachments
18952939_647700408737071_3528190802311387271_n.jpg
IMG_3533.JPG
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Jack Bodenmann has dealt quite finely with the subject of tender obstruction and to the bending and installation of the half round. In fact, he shows how to make your own!

Use the search function and look for his tender articles, possibly for the Disney American.

I've seen the Santa Fe practice on the subject, and they simply riveted them onto the top edge of the tender side/flare, and gave no thought to filing away the heads to make them flush.

By the way, has anyone heard from Messr. Bodenmann lately? I miss his posts, though the lack of seems to have freed up quite a bit of my time...

:lol:
NP317

Post by NP317 »

BobCoalBurner:
Looks like you are also building the 90-ton Mikado. RR Warehouse.
Attached is a blurry shot of my loco. It runs on air nicely.

I've had a bit of a setback. Wife K has two seizures last Thursday. To more nights spent in Portland hospitals. Home again, but dealing with the results.
~RN
Attachments
PuyRRShow14-1(small).jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn: I'd be delighted to join the KLS Brunch Bunch again on those Wednesdays. But it's now a 4 hour drive to get there from my home...

BobCoalBurner: I forgot to compliment you on your 2-8-2 locomotive. Looking good!
Also, about bending the brass half-rounds to line the top rails of the tenders:
The first LocoParts tender kit I assembled did require bending the half rounds. Instructions included a description for making a bending jig consisting of two angles rollers mounted to a flat plate. Manually bending of the brass around those rollers kept the half-round flat against the plate. Worked fine.

The second LocoParts tender kit included pre-bent half-round sections. 'Felt like cheating!
So contact Jeff @ LocoParts to see if he will sell you the pre-bent pieces!
~RN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And BobCoalBurner,
Please tell us about the 2-8-2 you show in your two pics.
I'm trying to gather info on any and all such small Mikes.
~RN
BobCoalBurner

Post by BobCoalBurner »

Hi Russ,
My thoughts and well wishes to you and your wife during this difficult time.
Your locomotive looks great. I hope to see more pictures of it as it progresses. As far as my loco goes, it might be RR Supply castings but I don't know much about it. I haven't really asked around and I am still relatively too new to yet recognize casting suppliers. I do know it came out of a place called Hartford Shop from a guy named Tom...ArtzSomething. It was constructed as an Alco tank loco so I am not sure if it qualifies as a 90 ton? Don't know if Alco made a 90 ton either? The tank and bits were too far past refurbishment for me, time wise. Besides I wanted a 2-8-2 with a standard tender anyway so it has just been a boiler and rods off restoration. It did run decent before I tore into it. I recognize your locomotive 317, not sure at what track, but if you can see MT Hood I think we both might be within rock chucking distance from each other.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

BobCoalBurner wrote:Hi Russ,
My thoughts and well wishes to you and your wife during this difficult time.
Your locomotive looks great. I hope to see more pictures of it as it progresses. As far as my loco goes, it might be RR Supply castings but I don't know much about it. I haven't really asked around and I am still relatively too new to yet recognize casting suppliers. I do know it came out of a place called Hartford Shop from a guy named Tom...ArtzSomething. It was constructed as an Alco tank loco so I am not sure if it qualifies as a 90 ton? Don't know if Alco made a 90 ton either? The tank and bits were too far past refurbishment for me, time wise. Besides I wanted a 2-8-2 with a standard tender anyway so it has just been a boiler and rods off restoration. It did run decent before I tore into it. I recognize your locomotive 317, not sure at what track, but if you can see MT Hood I think we both might be within rock chucking distance from each other.
Bob:
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm happy to note that Wife K is improving quickly...again. 'Hope this is the Last Adventure. We don't need this kind of excitement in our lives.

And also thanks for the info on your 2-8-2. Tom Artsburger is known for his craftsmanship. You might have a gem there.
The front deck casting is different than the RR Warehouse castings, but the rest sure looks familiar. 'Hope to see it someday soon.
I live 16 miles north of Mt. Hood, just off Hwy 35, directly south from Hood River.
Toss a rock my direction, and lets get together if we're really that close!
~Russ Noe