ALCO C424 Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

RUSTER

ALCO C424 Build

Post by RUSTER »

Good day Gentelmen !

First time posting here after reading many of you and your wonderful train work on this website forum.
I am wishing my self a great sharing experience with all of you train lover on here while doing my project.

After many years in a the flying hobby with planes scale replica and helicopter I have join a
year a go to be a member at my local livesteam train facility club in my hometown where I was born.
This club as been establish since 1960 and is a mix of electric and steam locomotive and as a great members
community to share the train passion and knowledge with and to learn alote about this side of the hobby that was
completly new to me a year a go.

Now I know a little more about this hobby with train and decide to do my own train that I wanted to own with
the help of many members at my club to support my making doughts and questions and to other ,, like members here.

Thank you to have read me and hope to speak with all of you members of this wonderful forum soon !

Cheers !
RUSTER

Here is the twin replica of the ALCO C424 I will be making and build.
My ALCO will be in a completly different Compagny paint scheme.

A ALCO C424 TWIN RELICA of My Custom Build Project

My ALCO C424 7 1/4 Gauge Custom Build Project at Present time

Presently on the making of a ALCO C424 7¼-in gauge electric powerplant Project
timmy wheeler

Re: ALCO C424 Build

Post by timmy wheeler »

Fantastic! Are you working from drawings? Do you have any other build detail photos? I too plan on building an ALCO although it might be a C 425, and I would love to see build detail. Thanks for sharing, Timmy
illigitimi non carborundum
RUSTER

Post by RUSTER »

Eh good day Timmy ,,,
Glade to see your one ALCO fanatic also ...

About your question,

I got this ALCO already done 50% from a friend that needed to give it to someone who was carving for some ALCO
machine in his life ,, and lucky I was to have the chance to get it. This train was made and reproduce from photoshoot
of the real ALCO C424 from CPRAIL CO.

The Maker creator had all the photos done and did correction like a blue print plan on photocopy paper. If you wish I
will do numeric pictures of the photos that have measurement on and you could use them if you wish to for your project
or as references to your need. In a fiew days I should be able to upload them here for you.

My ALCO C424 was the first test made this creator maker as done ,,, ( he only made 2) the other one is the one showing
at the first post in a Yellow color from (Quebec & Gatineau CO replica model ALCO C424) so I will have a little work to
do to complet the finish machine as many parts need to be done and created the right scale way. I also have the real replica
of the trucks for the ALCO C424 made from the same creator person. He has done them with a foundery industry partnership.
Will show them soon on here to you.

The only thing different from the Quebec & Gatineau ALCO C424 made from the creator maker and the one I own as
the first he as created ,,, is the trucks ,, I have the real repica on my. I am glade he as take the time to do them right.

Would be nice if you keep me posted about your making also ,,, I would appreciate !
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Will do. I'm leaning toward a Spokane Portland & Seattle version or possibly its successor Burlington Northern. I have a set of powered trucks from Tom Artzberger (Hartford Shops) - it will be battery powered.
illigitimi non carborundum
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I actually bought two full size C-424s when I worked at the Morristown & Erie. They were TP&W 800 and 801, and became M&E 18 and 19. A local NRHS chapter recently bought the 19, and Illinois Railway Museum is raising funds to buy the 18.
We had an HO layout in one of the buildins at The Huckleberry RR/Crossroads Village. Some guys were looking at an Atlas C-424 and a C-425 and trying to figure out what was different. I came up behind them and said 'they had different main generators.'
RUSTER

Post by RUSTER »

Nice choice on the compagny replica color scheme you will have to choose from Timmy.

I will also go electric powerplant on my C424 ,,, I have the Engineer at hand to meet soon from a large
electric motor compagny in my area and will see what I will go for as to powerplant my machine after seen him at hand.

Many kind of motors & brand to choose from with that engineer ,, so I will be well advise soon on the direction to take.

He as work on large full size electric propulsion project in the past and he as been strongnly recommend to me for
my project as this compagny as been in electric propulsion business since 1930. So it look promessing ...
RUSTER

Post by RUSTER »

Good day Marty ,,,

what a interesting story you have shared with us here ,,,
I did'nt know that difference betwen the C424 and C425 ,, thanks.

Always nice to meet full size Gentelmen that operate the real thing in life ,,,