Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

utahwestie

Re: Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Post by utahwestie »

This sucker got hot!!! With the melting temp of aluminum around 1200oF this is crazy to me...
Attachments
IMG_8997.JPG
IMG_9001.JPG
IMG_8998.JPG
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

I have seen this once before, Not sure what causes this. Sure one thing over firing the engine. I would like to see the boiler and the mud ring area. I would bet its plug up and very high. Does this fire box have a arch in it. If not I highly recommend it on all engines and all fuels. So will disagree. But what a arch does is gives more time for the fuel to burn in the fire box and not the smoke box. Arches should run from the lower row of tubes and on angle back 2/3 of the fire box and up to 1.000" of the crown sheet. This allows more time for the fuel to burn. Less carbon in the tubes and smoke box. Also check for air leaks around the smoke box. With the front cover off and a piece of paper up against the front opening. Turn the blow on just a little the paper should stick and stay. If there is leaks it won't. Another thing is the mud ring area. We don't want to cook 1.000 above the fire box base. Have tin or sheet metal to protect this area from heat. This stops the cooking and Harding of the solid's. I am sure you going to do a boiler wash. Most people here have there ways to do it. But almost always they never tell you to neutralize the acids use. Good old baking soda. Table spoon to one gal. of water and off to the race's. Good luck and if you have not order a new smoke box in cast iron, well there in stock.

Steve Alley
Allen models.
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

I'd think a vacuum leak in the smokebox would do it, I've see full size locos with ash burning red hot in the smokebox because of air leaks and the leak doesn't have to be very big for it to do it. Anyway a air leak and a bit of hard work could have done it after all I think we have all seen photos or videos of engines with the bottom of the smokebox door glowing red after a good work out...
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Hello all,

Prepping the boiler for a sand blast to get it all cleaned up. I've had a couple pf prolific live steamers near me check the insides out, so it's blank all the holes, sand blast and paint.

Wanting to remove/replace this ball valve....any insight into how to remove it? Does this nut(marked with red arrow) hold it all together?

Cheers.
Attachments
IMG_9786.jpg
IMG_9787.jpg
~Anthony~
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

After closer inspection and a great conversation with Steve Alley, We have come to the conclusion that this loco of mine, has had a rather hard hit to the fireman's side of the frame. I don't have a pic with me, but there is a large dent in the frame rail. With a basic understanding of physics and the conversation with Steve, we have determined that the engineers side rods and piston tried to keep moving while the loco had its abrupt stop(also breaking the fireman's upper rocker arm) and bending the drive rods. These are a cast bronze. you can see in one of the pictures that the previous owner has tried to braze the upper rocker arm to repair.
With all this in mind,and the sloppy fit of all other parts of the valve gear, I've decide to replace with new casting all rocker,lifter,and reverse arms, along with new link and link blocks and a new water jet frame from Allen Models.

Stay tuned I've already machined all the arms and am now working on the frame.

Cheers
Anthony.
Attachments
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1624.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_8438.JPG
~Anthony~
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Good idea for the complete rebuild with the new water jet cut frames.
You will have a superior locomotive when completed.

Is Steve Alley prepared yet to offer parts and prints to change the valve gear to Baker or Walschaerts?
That would be a huge improvement for long term valve accuracy and decreased wear.

Locally we have one Ten Wheeler with Allen Baker valve gear. It runs true and square.
I have the Baker castings and drawings for a possible modification to my Ten Wheeler.
~RN
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

NP317 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:57 pm Good idea for the complete rebuild with the new water jet cut frames.

Is Steve Alley prepared yet to offer parts and prints to change the valve gear to Baker or Walschaerts?
That would be a huge improvement for long term valve accuracy and decreased wear.

Locally we have one Ten Wheeler with Allen Baker valve gear. It runs true and square.
I have the Baker castings and drawings for a possible modification to my Ten Wheeler.
~RN
RN,
I’ve been thinking the same thing about the baker valve gear. I was even planning on chatting to Steve later I the week about this. It would make a nice “update” combine the Baker valve gear and the tender trucks from the consolidation.

Food for thought.
~Anthony~
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

utahwestie wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:09 am
NP317 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:57 pm Good idea for the complete rebuild with the new water jet cut frames.

~RN
RN,
I’ve been thinking the same thing about the baker valve gear. I was even planning on chatting to Steve later I the week about this. It would make a nice “update” combine the Baker valve gear and the tender trucks from the consolidation.

Food for thought.
Morning,
I am the "local" that adapted the Allen Baker gear to run on the ten wheeler.
I am not convinced the baker gear will fit the mogul with out moving the main rod to the rear.
i have been told that someone has, but i have not seen it yet.
attached is the profile of my ten wheeler as it was being assembled.
10333759_10152479730143185_8252452787158751747_o.jpg
she had a couple good years running as a ten wheeler. but not that the Allen American chassis was fully rebuilt, she needed her boiler back so the ten wheeler is back in the shop awaiting for a conversion to a early light pacific and a new boiler.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Chris:
Thanks for your info and picture.
~RN
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Things are moving along quite nicely. Many conversations with Mr. Alley over what the best course of action is have helped this project moving forward.
New water jet frame rails are done, I've had them Zinc coated for rust prevention. New cross head yoke casting and draw bar pocket casting were purchased and machined.

Once these were finished, the cylinders where striped and readied for cleaning and inspection. During a trial fitting these cylinders and smoke box saddle things started to act up....... frames were no longer square and to quote Johnny Cash-Psycobilly Cadillac "when we tried to put in the bolts all the holes were gone" once the cylinders were mounted to the smoke box saddle and installed,the bolt holes didn't match the frame rails and where making the frame rails not line up square. (see pic)

Using the measuring machine at the machine shop(day job) I've found that these cylinders are quite a miss match pair, dimensions are off far enough that i'm going to assume without offending anyone I hope that these were machined with the absolute bare minimum to work, and with rudimentary machine and hand tools.

I plan to correct all this and along with new castings for the saddle and apron re make these parts to as close to the prints as possible.
Attachments
Mock up with Zinc plated rails and new yoke
Mock up with Zinc plated rails and new yoke
rail.
rail.
Offset holes...Dont match new frame rails.  :(
Offset holes...Dont match new frame rails. :(
Old and New.
Old and New.
IMG_1812.JPG
Apron. in need of replacement.
Apron. in need of replacement.
~Anthony~
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Hello All,

Frame is finished with the three new castings machined and test fit.

Lower frame spreader, modified design from the original to be used with the water jet frame rails.
On to the cylinders.......
Attachments
Old frame spreader and New.
Old frame spreader and New.
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG
~Anthony~
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »