Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

wewilliams

Re: Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Post by wewilliams »

Lots of cylinders are made from gun metal bronze, still, my friend that ran commercial boilers likes to remind me that steam will erode bronze over time.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

utahwestie wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:13 am

My question is, which material should I use for the liner? in the vintage motorcycle world( another obsession) we use cast iron. I've seen many references to using 660 Bronze.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Ant
Well, I say don't reinvent the proverbial wheel. The original design is for cast iron, and there is a boatload of them out there, some with thousands of miles on them. We know iron works, and if you have experience with iron from motorcycles, stay with that.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Hello All,

Thanks Greg for that little insight it was just what I needed to help make a decision. I will be making the cylinder liners out of Cast Iron.

With work being needed on the journal boxes to make them all the same and to the print,next axles needed. I decided to convert to roller bearings in the journal boxes. I also made the journal boxes all the same size and width by machine the boxes to fit wear plates. As you can see the axles had been well used with a couple of efforts to get the timing correct. Every end of the axles were a different size, so the hub diameter will need to be made correct on all the wheels.

I did have a plan to have it sitting on its drivers before the end of last year, a few weeks behind but still moving forward none the less.

Cheers
Ant.
Attachments
Miss matching sizes...
Miss matching sizes...
IMG_2328.JPG
Drilled and tapped(not all the way through)
Drilled and tapped(not all the way through)
Finished journal boxes with wear plates.
Finished journal boxes with wear plates.
Well worn axles.
Well worn axles.
New axles with flush mount grease fittings.
New axles with flush mount grease fittings.
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Any idea what happened to Anthony?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

He was last on the board on November 23, this year, so he may not be adding to this thread any longer.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Thank you Harold.

That would be a shame.
Lots of info on his rebuild.
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Hello All,

Long story short, I had a major change around in my life, started new job, having brought my shop back to the my house, having to build new shop area at back of garage.....

But on a positive note, i've lined up all the parts again, dug out the blueprints and am about to start work back on the mogul. Looking back at the thread, I need to update the thread as the project was further along than I last posted. So, I'll work on that over the next few days..

Thanks for the interest.
~Anthony~
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Hello All,

Well, I'm back at the Mogul project. I'd lost a bunch of photos of the project, which is a shame as I enjoy reading all the comments/ideas and suggestions on how to do, or how its been done.

Here is a few updated pictures, Smoke box saddle is complete as per the prints. Its painted with a high temperature coating that is allegedly rated up to 1800 deg F...

Cylinders have been sleeved , bored to size. New pistons have been made from Cast Iron bar stock. These are all now the correct and same size. There we're different rom each other and the dimensions.

Cylinders have also been re-machined to align the threaded holes for both front and rear head caps. However, the rear head covers have been machined "funky" and not to the prints. So, after I write this email, I'm hoping to call Steve and get some new castings coming...

Wheels, frame rails, new cast iron apron, leading truck are all painted. At the shop today painting the cylinders and other various frame pieces.

Onwards and upwards, I'll keep moving forward as I'm hoping to be doing steam trails this spring. With my Dad coming up from New Zealand late this summer, my goal is to have a day steaming it with him here in Salt Lake City...
Attachments
IMG_0533.jpg
IMG_0533.jpg (108.08 KiB) Viewed 49462 times
IMG_0701.jpg
IMG_0701.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 49462 times
IMG_0717.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg (120.2 KiB) Viewed 49462 times
IMG_0718.jpg
IMG_0718.jpg (102.4 KiB) Viewed 49462 times
~Anthony~
Jace.evans

Post by Jace.evans »

Hey Anthony, looks like it's coming a long great! Hopefully we'll see it fired up this summer at S&S.
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Hello All.

Moving along with the project....

I purchased some brake cylinder castings that had already been started, unfortunately the bottom cylinder head was now undersized( to print ), I had also purchased a set of un machined castings from PostWarBob...but I wanted to try see if I could save these.... So never minding the undersized OD , we'll make the rest to print. I'm thinking I may have to make the piston rod over size also due to the through holes on these not being in the center.
So I'll do the best I can... Chucked them up in the lathe, dressed up the angles and made them to length. I still need to flip them around and finish the backside. I'll use the remaining pre drilled holes as they measured accurately, but I'll also run a spot face tool to make a flat mating surface for the hardware...
Attachments
BB1.jpg
BB1.jpg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 25478 times
BB2.jpg
BB2.jpg (79.07 KiB) Viewed 25478 times
BB3.jpg
BB3.jpg (74.83 KiB) Viewed 25478 times
~Anthony~
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

If the through holes are off, could you plug them and re-drill them?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.