Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

utahwestie

Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Post by utahwestie »

Hello All,

I've been lurking here for awhile. I've decided that I need to contribute to the hobby by documenting the rebuild of this Allen Mogul that I've recently picked up.

I'm a ex pat Kiwi( from New Zealand) now living in Salt Lake City, Utah. I am a full time machinist, and am incredibly lucky to have access to some of the equipment that I can use on this rebuild. I've put up several postings asking about this and that, mainly with the accessories that this loco came with, steam pump, generator, etc..... I've developed a somewhat healthy obsession with steam pumps. :D

Time will be limited due to I have a young family( 2 boys under 5), so it maybe slower than some can do it, but I'll be having fun along the way,

Thanks for the time, and special thanks to Steve Alley for helping with some castings that I needed for this loco, and Mike from Little engines for the advice and the two new safety valves.
Attachments
mogul 1.jpg
mogul 2.jpg
mogul3.jpg
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah
utahwestie

Re: Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Post by utahwestie »

I forgot to thank Marty Knox for helping me identify this as a Allen Mogul not a Harpur.
~Anthony~
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Welcome. I'll enjoy watching your progress.
~RN
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Finish it in time to infect those boys with the hobby!
John Brock
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Looking forward to it... I'm planning to start building one of these in the not too distant future (gathering parts now).
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

Looks like fun. Is that your Shenwai lathe in the background? I picked one of those up a number of years ago and have built many parts on it.
tyleire

Post by tyleire »

I remember seeing this loco featured in that online auction in Montana. Congrats! In addition to the plans and Steve Alley, you might find MetalMill52s youtube videos helpful as you begin the rebuild. https://www.youtube.com/user/metalmill52.
My Allen 2-4-0 rebuild thread might be of some use as well http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 5&t=102191

Good luck!
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

tyleire wrote:I remember seeing this loco featured in that online auction in Montana. Congrats! In addition to the plans and Steve Alley, you might find MetalMill52s youtube videos helpful as you begin the rebuild. https://www.youtube.com/user/metalmill52.
My Allen 2-4-0 rebuild thread might be of some use as well http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 5&t=102191

Good luck!

Thanks, Yes the gentleman I purchased it off won that auction. He'd done a little bit of work to it when I picked it up. He had a new tender tank made and the old one is now a shell for aesthetics. It's a propane burner so 100% of the tender is now water tank. He has the tender frame blasted and powdercoated so it's "fit and finish" for the tender and it'll be ready for painting.

I brought new safeties, and tried the loco out on compressed air. I've since taken the accessories off for refurbishment(steam pump,injector,blowdown valves,mechanical lubriatorsx3-yes three!,water glass, etc...) lots of dirt and gunk.

Also, i've been following your rebuild thread, such a cute little locomotive! and watching MetalMill52's videos as well.

More to come soon...

Cheers.
Attachments
IMG_6335.JPG
IMG_6334.JPG
~Anthony~
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Hello all,

So, right off the bat I knew I had some rework to do, the boiler filled up with compressed air and I set the new little engines safeties. It all looked promising. it did run back and forth on the RIP track where I am working on the loco, so that was awesome. I mean Who knows how long its been since it ran.

The pilot was bent, evident from a couple of "offs", the vertical panels going down to the foot boards were bent slightly backwards and the main issue was the threaded holes holding the pilot on where stripped to virtually not hold anything at all. So it came off, spend a bit of time in the hydraulic press and we will be installing some thread inserts.

Also visible are some other changes I believe are need due to safety issues......the brake valve blocking the sight glass.
Attachments
IMG_7043.JPG
IMG_7042.JPG
IMG_6358.JPG
~Anthony~
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Looks like a coupler between the engine and tender?
Do replace it with a solid drawbar. Then it will be legal (welcome) at visited tracks.
Looks like you've got much work to do. Enjoy.
~RN
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

NP317 wrote:Looks like a coupler between the engine and tender?
Do replace it with a solid drawbar. Then it will be legal (welcome) at visited tracks.
Looks like you've got much work to do. Enjoy.
~RN

Yeah that was installed to get the loco into the workshop. It has since been removed.

thanks for checking in.
~Anthony~
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Cab and boiler mounted accessories all removed, ready for a good cleaning. I'm planning on re plumbing most of the cab to clean up the interior and make it all more functional.
Attachments
IMG_8273.JPG
IMG_8272.JPG
~Anthony~