Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

utahwestie

Re: Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Post by utahwestie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:33 pm

This sucker got hot!!! With the melting temp of aluminum around 1200oF this is crazy to me...
Attachments
IMG_8997.JPG
IMG_9001.JPG
IMG_8998.JPG
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah

Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 pm

I have seen this once before, Not sure what causes this. Sure one thing over firing the engine. I would like to see the boiler and the mud ring area. I would bet its plug up and very high. Does this fire box have a arch in it. If not I highly recommend it on all engines and all fuels. So will disagree. But what a arch does is gives more time for the fuel to burn in the fire box and not the smoke box. Arches should run from the lower row of tubes and on angle back 2/3 of the fire box and up to 1.000" of the crown sheet. This allows more time for the fuel to burn. Less carbon in the tubes and smoke box. Also check for air leaks around the smoke box. With the front cover off and a piece of paper up against the front opening. Turn the blow on just a little the paper should stick and stay. If there is leaks it won't. Another thing is the mud ring area. We don't want to cook 1.000 above the fire box base. Have tin or sheet metal to protect this area from heat. This stops the cooking and Harding of the solid's. I am sure you going to do a boiler wash. Most people here have there ways to do it. But almost always they never tell you to neutralize the acids use. Good old baking soda. Table spoon to one gal. of water and off to the race's. Good luck and if you have not order a new smoke box in cast iron, well there in stock.

Steve Alley
Allen models.

h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:35 am

I'd think a vacuum leak in the smokebox would do it, I've see full size locos with ash burning red hot in the smokebox because of air leaks and the leak doesn't have to be very big for it to do it. Anyway a air leak and a bit of hard work could have done it after all I think we have all seen photos or videos of engines with the bottom of the smokebox door glowing red after a good work out...

utahwestie

Post by utahwestie » Sun May 27, 2018 7:47 am

Hello all,

Prepping the boiler for a sand blast to get it all cleaned up. I've had a couple pf prolific live steamers near me check the insides out, so it's blank all the holes, sand blast and paint.

Wanting to remove/replace this ball valve....any insight into how to remove it? Does this nut(marked with red arrow) hold it all together?

Cheers.
Attachments
IMG_9786.jpg
IMG_9787.jpg
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah