90-Ton 2-8-2 Build, 1.5"/ft. Scale, 7.5" Gauge

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: 90-Ton 2-8-2 Build, 1.5"/ft. Scale, 7.5" Gauge

Post by NP317 »

Asteamhead:
Thanks for your comments.
I am already re-plumbing the water glass. We'll see how "Rev 1" works.
This boiler has a high crown sheet which presents challenges.
Fun ahead!
~RN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

NP317, instead of replacing your burner, is it possible to drill and tap the hole(s) and use a common/cheap carburetor jet?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

rkcarguy:
I just needed to replace the single jet feeding the burner assembly. Common 1/4" hex stock with #10-32 thread.
It is an Al Von Reuden designed and built burner. He's the 93 (94?) year-old KLS member who has made many such burners for NW Live Steamers, from 0-4-0s to Challengers.
It is a propane burner that simulates a bed of coal: low and hot and evenly distributed heat.

The single jet and air adjuster are easily externally reachable just in from of the throat sheet. Too simple.
I made an assortment of jets to experiment with.
Al is a brilliant self trained inventor and fabricator. Does the numbers, too. We're fortunate to have his expertise and help to learn from. Generous Man.
~RN
Burner 1 small.jpg
Burner 6 small.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The second steam up showed most problems resolved. Still generated a list of "stuff."

I have changed the plumbing to the top of the water glass, taking into consideration some info generously offered by Marty Knox.
Thanks, Marty! I've now changed that plumbing 3 times, and I hope it is resolved now.

Next steam-up I'll blow out several lines with hot steam, as crud has blocked some small orifices. Expected with a new system.
Now making the last two main running boards complete with riveted edge pieces for the outside edges. Lots of fiddly work, but the visual results are remarkable.
Still having fun.
~RussN
Mikado First Steam2.jpg
Last edited by NP317 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, elegant, classy loco. BTW, Morgan brought Al to the breakfast get together for his birthday a month ago, or so. so I think he is 95 and 2 now, or thereabouts.

As a side note, Last winter I asked Al how he managed to clean out the drilling residue attached inside of the tubes, from each hole. E.g. with all the jagged edges from each of the holes. He related he doesn’t clean them up, but leaves the drill punctures (or whatever they are called) attached to each hole. Says it helps stir up and mix the propane with intake air to produce a better flame. Iam still in awe of the number of precisely located holes he drilled in his burners.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks Glenn.
I anticipate enjoying running this Mikado as much as I've enjoyed building it. 'Should pull like a bull with the full equalization and steel tires on those 8 drivers.

Glad to hear that Al Von Reuden is still making his "rounds." He's a remarkable person. Due to his childhood deafness, he got a late education start because he was not diagnosed properly. He sure made up for that, becoming a first class awarded engineer and designer! Not to mention his many completed steam projects.
I saw on the KLS (Kitsap Live Steamers) member website that Al's address has changed. I guess that means the end of his machine shop, in the house he hand-built (of course) in Seattle.

About five years ago I was privileged to be his guest at his home and see what he has built. All museum quality. Multiple scales. Any idea who now has his 1-1/2" scale Mikado? I only saw him steam it once at KLS. Not to mention his gorgeous 1" scale GN Pacific.

And Al's inherent understanding of fluid dynamics shows in his burner designs. I am fortunate he wanted to make mine at age 90+. And all the work done on his immaculate Bridgeport, with manual dials only.

Since I moved to the Oregon Woods, I really miss those Wednesday brunches with The KLS guys. But not Seattle's 17% population increase in 5 years...
We lived in Seattle 40+ years, raised our kids there, made our relative fortunes, and happily departed 3 years ago.
Play hard and keep helping each other. I'll visit with my Mikado later this summer.
~RussN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, be great if you can make it up here with the Loki. Iam not sure what the status is of Al’s two engines. I think he has both of them, although not sure. I toured his shop three or four years ago and he had them in display at that time. I was amazed at his work, as you say, truly museum quality. Morgan, his boy, is moving up from SF latter this summer. Hope you can make it to one of the breakfast meets when you visit!

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Well, this afternoon I got the new Mikado ++ loaded into the new truck. First time for that loco and truck. Got it figured out for a safe trip to Seattle.
During loading it became apparent that this Mikado is noticeably heavier than my Ten Wheeler!
We leave Thursday, and will stay in Seattle with Family.

Friday morning (Aug. 17) is WA State Boiler Test at 11 am. Thankfully Tom Huffman, President of Kitsap Live Steamers will meet me there at 9 am to open the facility, as I no longer have keys. Then post-test will store the loco there overnight, while I return to Seattle for a Family dinner.

Saturday morning I'll return to KLS for their annual Friends & Family private BBQ, running meet, and give the Mikado its first track tests!
Yea, I'm a bit excited about that, after 10 years of on/off construction. But mostly about seeing my KLS Friends.
I've really missed that Gang since our move away. They are truly an excellent Tribe of People.

Pics later, assuming all goes well.
~RussN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The Mikado boiler passed the WA State certification today. Yea!
I actually got to steam the loco back and forth over 15 ft.of track before storing it away for the night.
I'll return tomorrow for some real track testing, and visits with Friends.
'Should be a fun day!
~RN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

First Run was successful.
All systems worked as designed, with only one high pressure water line from the axle pump needing leak-repair.
No derailments during the first 1 mile run. I'm pleased.
Looking forward to the next opportunity to continue learning how to best operate this locomotive.

Winter will provide time to complete the cab, make the fake oil bunker (a tool box), and install the lighting system.
That will include lights under the running boards per prototype. 'Should look great for night running!
~RN
KLS First Run2 small.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ,

Congratulations! Fine looking Loco. A real work of art! I heard your Loco was a hit when it premiered at Kitsap over the weekend. Conrad said it was marvelously engineered and the detail and finish were amazing. Sorry to have missed you. An old friend was in the hospital and we were preoccupied helping out with him. Hope to be able to catch up with you and see your engine at some point soon!

Glenn

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
Sorry to have missed you too! But you were on a far-more important mission. Thanks for thinking of Friends first.

Hmm... Interesting comments on my Loco. I'm flattered, considering the high talents of KLS Members.
I had a great time visiting with them, and look forward to the next opportunity!
~RussN