SP NG Diesel #1 (GE 50T) - Triennial or Bust

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

cbrew

Re: SP NG Diesel #1 (GE 50T) - Triennial or Bust

Post by cbrew »

senorgilamonster wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:14 pm BUST: After attending the Narrow Gauge meet - I won't be going to the Triennial. I cancelled my TM membership, my all meets pass, and my Triennial registration. I will never set foot on TM again.

After I had a motor wire fail, there was not a soldering iron on the premises to be found. Failing that I asked who to talk to about getting my consist back up the hill and was told "go buy a C-130 and fly it out yourself". No laugh, no laugh from the NG meet group, just silence followed by a return to their discussion. I had to disassemble the loco and cars into 80-120 pound pieces and ferry them down the hill on my flatcar to a place where I could carry them over to my trailer.

yes, the controller brakes did work.
wow, that is a ashame. sorry to hear about the issues. and the cold shoulder.
I believe i saw you unloading. I was wondering how it did.
I am one of the few "standard gauge" guys that crashed the NG party.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

That's sad to hear, sounds pretty "elitist" of whoever you dealt with. I could understand no one having a soldering iron, but no one wanting to come give you a tow back to loading and forcing you to take it all apart is pretty dang rude.
FWIW several years ago a boating buddy of mine was in route to Roche Harbor. I'm sure you're familiar with it, but if not it's a pretty uppity rich mans yacht harbor in the San Juan islands. He wasn't a yacht owner, having a 28' boat with twin engines, but would go there a few times each year, was a Boeing retiree and veteran, a pretty respectable guy.
Anyway, running out there his Navigation system was flipping out because he was close to the US/Canada border, and he got distracted and hit some rocks in shallow waters and tore one of the outdrives completely off and damaged the other one leaving him dead in the water, with a huge hole in the transom. He was pretty close to Roche maybe 10 minutes away, and radioed a mayday to them and they wouldn't lift a finger....didn't even want him in their harbor. The bilge pumps were just barely keeping up with the water coming in and with the drives wiped out the engines couldn't be ran because there was no cooling so he was on borrowed time with the batteries running the pumps. Another resort/harbor much further away sent a boat that absolutely flew out there and dropped a couple gas powered pumps on his deck and towed him back. After that he "voted with his feet" and the resort that helped him became his new go to, and he never went to Roche again.

Hopefully the Kitsap Live Steamers will give you a better reception.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

I was there at the NG meet also but sorry to say I did not see you loading or unloading.
FWIW I would say TM would not be a good place to trial run anything. Just too far from anything if you get in trouble and it sounds like you did. If you get all the bugs out you may want to reconsider trying TM again.

John B.
senorgilamonster

Post by senorgilamonster »

I have had great experiences with the 3 clubs that I belong to: Kitsap, BCSME, and Maricopa. I think that is why I was so shocked - and I realize you experiences there may have been great. I only ran into 4 people I would characterize as friendly and/or helpful...and 2 of those were new members, there for the first time, without any equipment.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wow!
Your experience is 180 degrees out from my multiple good experiences at Train Mountain.
I wonder why.
~RN
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

That’s a crying shame.

Not what this hobby is about at all.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

all it takes is running into the wrong person to ruin the experience. all of the people i interacted with at the meet was friendly. i am sure a call to the office, someone would have been dispatched to rescue the consist. but maybe i am wrong.
I personally can not remember a bad time caused by anyone other then myself in the last 15 years of attending meets at TM.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

senorgilamonster wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:14 pm BUST: After attending the Narrow Gauge meet - I won't be going to the Triennial. I cancelled my TM membership, my all meets pass, and my Triennial registration. I will never set foot on TM again.

After I had a motor wire fail, there was not a soldering iron on the premises to be found. Failing that I asked who to talk to about getting my consist back up the hill and was told "go buy a C-130 and fly it out yourself". No laugh, no laugh from the NG meet group, just silence followed by a return to their discussion. I had to disassemble the loco and cars into 80-120 pound pieces and ferry them down the hill on my flatcar to a place where I could carry them over to my trailer.
I hope it was not one of the many people I know who attend that meet. I would be very disappointed to find that out. If I was there I'd be the first one to take my locomotive down and pull your equipment back up. I like rescue jobs - something different to do that is actually useful.

Hope to see your X-1 elsewhere sometime.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

That is unfortunate, and I'm sorry that happened to you.

I had an incident with my electric locomotive at Train Mountain last weekend that required help. The first two people I asked said no, not to be mean, but they were already committed to helping someone else at that moment. The third person I asked was also busy, but was able to take a break and help. Then, I had another issue with the lubricator on my steam locomotive. Another gentleman offered to take care of it while I'm away at my work conference this week. We will return to Train Mountain for the Triennial with an operational locomotive due to someone else's kindness and generosity.

Earlier this year I went to a meet at another track - it was busy! When I arrived, there were a couple people waiting ahead of me for the lift to unload, then a fellow showed up behind me. Several of us were visiting while waiting our turn. Unbeknownst to me, the fellow behind me proceeded to unload his tool boxes and secured the last remaining steaming bay. When it was my turn to unload, I had no steaming bay to go to, because the guy behind me put his stuff on the only available steaming bay. I couldn't believe someone had the audacity to be so blatantly rude. I also realized that I had a choice. I could get angry, and let that ruin my weekend, or I could just move on and make the best of it. We ended up having a wonderful weekend.

I'm not trying to excuse someone from being a jerk - that isn't right. I will say that there is a certain "matter of urgency" going on at Train Mountain that has everyone kinda stressed out, trying to get things done for the Triennial. Taking a load of patience and grace for others might be helpful to "grease the skids." They have never hosted an event this big with this many trains and registered guests. Folks are overwhelmed. Volunteers are needed, they have broken things down into 2-hour shifts to spread the load. I, like Chris, hope you will try TM again in the future once the dust settles, and your locomotive has had a chance to get some of those items worked out.

~Chris
Building a Fitchburg Northern (build log): www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=107249

My YouTube Videos: www.youtube.com/user/donhost4449/videos
senorgilamonster

OK, so after taking a 5 week hiatus from trains to deal with some personal business - I've decided to rip out the existing electric motor, drive chain and gears. I've ordered an 800W motor as a replacement. Although I am giving up 20-25% of my (now and future) power, the new motor will take a #35 sprocket plus is slightly shorter. The change in length will allow me to build a better mounting system since the motor will fit between the flanges better. I am also hoping that changing from #25 to #35 chain will make the chain less likely to get thrown off the sprockets (better tolerance to tension). As an additional benefit the new motor speed is about 12% slower and should make gearing options a bit better as well.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glad to hear you are "back on the horse."
~RN
senorgilamonster

thx. My son (finally) got into med school - White coat (induction) ceremony tomorrow and 1st day of class is on Monday.