SP NG Diesel #1 (GE 50T) - Triennial or Bust

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

senorgilamonster

Re: SP NG Diesel #1 (GE 50T) - Triennial or Bust

Post by senorgilamonster »

I spent the morning working out the wiring diagram, checking for parts, making the control box, etc. Then I realized the weather was excellent and that I should save electrical for a rainy day.

I worked on the motor mount and finally assembling a drive axle. Early on I had determined that there was enough room to mount the motors to the trucks and still have chain clearance, etc. Today it wasn't obvious to me how I figured that...and spent an hour sorting it out. I had forgotten to include the extra height of the center pivot bushings (almost 3/4").
Attachments
motorMount1.jpg
MotorMount2.jpg
senorgilamonster

Necessity is the mother of invention: No milling machine - No problem.

I wanted to slot the tops of the pillow blocks for the edge of the equalizer bar to fit into. Problem - no milling machine (more of a milling skills problem). So. I made a jig to hold the blocks and act as a fence for the 4 1/2" grinder. The pic is of a block containing 5 new blocks (the drilled holes eliminating another milling operation). Previous description of these blocks started on page 6.
Attachments
SlottingJournalBoxes.jpg
senorgilamonster

The drive mechanism has given me fits. But, I got it assembled and running. It sounds horrific - like an old 1950's washing machine on its last leg. Part of this is due to testing it upside down, so the slave chain was dragging against the motor - that will rectify itself when I flip it over and gravity works to my advantage. The #40 slave chain and sprockets are a thing of beauty. However, the rest is almost frightening.

The large drive sprocket appears to be out of alignment in 2 axis (axes, axies). I would be more upset about this except that I am pretty sure the gear ratio isn't right and I will end up replacing it anyway. Also, the motor mount has more flex in it that I would have expected and this allows the small sprocket to float out of proper alignment too. Amazingly it all works together (wobbles horribly though) without throwing that tiny #25 chain. In fact, I think that if I aligned and locked down the small sprocket right now, it would jump the chain due to the large sprocket being out of alignment. :-)

There are over 100 individual pieces in the 2 trucks. All are done enough (some finish work would be nice). They now get assembled and attached to the frame. Stopping work to build an elevated platform to put it on, since I won't be able to lift it any longer.

Next steps - a test run on 25'-30' of 1"x2" "track" and after that a trip to the club. Presently planning on taking it to Kitsap Live Steamers on 5/19 for a topless maiden voyage. IF all goes well then I want to go to the TM Narrow Gauge meet.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I was looking at that "box" in there thinking it was a bit light, thought you were using that to mock up a heavier structure so I didn't mention it. But then there is my locomotive which is gaining weight like a cop in a donut shop because I'm using 1/4 to 3/8" thick steel for everything in the trucks and frame. :)
senorgilamonster

but...your doing Grand Scale
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

But just barely, only 2" scale. :)
Kudo's that you've got the wheels turning and are moving towards a test run already.
Btw, I was on this website this morning looking at sprocket hubs and ran across these, 25 pitch sprockets:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Sprockets ... nsPitch:25
senorgilamonster

For the first time I assembled the >100 pieces of the 2 trucks and put the frame on top of them. I also ran the assembly for 13 feet. It didn't stay on the firing strip track, but hopefully it will do better on real rails...

I could't resist pulling the caboose out of storage and taking a photos of the consist:
trailConsist.jpg
trialConsist2.jpg
The exercise was very beneficial at showing up a few issues.
1) I lost some of the nuts and bolts - need to go buy more
2) On one of the trucks the equalizer bars don't clear the top spring retainer. I'll have to figure out what is different than on the other truck:
oops2.jpg
3) for the keen eyes among you - what is wrong with this picture:
oops.jpg
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Looking good, you've got a train!
Maybe just need some washers on each end of the spring there?
senorgilamonster

In keeping with prototyping parts out of wood before butchering $100 pieces of metal, I mocked up most of the hood today. IF I can get the running gear working reliably next week, it will probably stay wood through the TM Narrow Gauge meet, but spray painted.
Attachments
previs1.jpg
previs2.jpg
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

You may be able to epoxy or fiberglass the wood and just leave it. It would be an option for me if I hadn't had the access to all the metalworking equipment at work.
senorgilamonster

I've decided that IF I want the cab roof 100% authentic, I will have to make a negative mold and fiberglass. I am relatively certain that I will make the battery box out of glass too.

In other news, my eldest son came over Saturday and we fixed and fired up the MIG welder. It had the wrong tips on it, so we put the correct ones on - then the correct size wire so that it would feed through the tips and viola - it worked like a champ.. No burn through on the sheet metal, etc. Nice looking welds too - except for when we returned from lunch and forgot to turn the Argon back on. :-) So in the end, my previous failure with the machine was the machine, not me.

We put in 8 corner braces and 8 horizontal channels The cab is now stiff and square.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Oh nice, great that you got the MIG welder working! I ended up getting my Millermatic 250 with a .028" tip and .035" wire in it from the prior owner cheap because it wasn't working right of course. I don't think most people get it that there is some built in clearance so it doesn't get stuck in the tip, and that it's not just about the wire physically fitting through the tip.
No worries, I think we've all built some bubbling steel volcanos in our time:)
Malwart carries plastic battery boxes for about $8 if you want to go that route.