SP NG Diesel #1 (GE 50T) - Triennial or Bust

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

senorgilamonster

Re: SP NG Diesel #1 (GE 50T) - Triennial or Bust

Post by senorgilamonster »

Harold - as always your advice is good. I hadn't thought about making the keys longer - that is genius.

Well, it doesn't seem like I have gotten a lot done over the last week. But after having taken the lathe apart and put it back together, I feel I am 1% closer to being a machinist (up from 0%).Understanding how the machine works helps me understand how to use it more effectively. I got the 4 jaw chuck in and upgraded to a 4". I really like it and could immediately tell what a piece of junk my 3" 3 jaw is comparatively speaking. I also bought some dial thingie on a magnetic stand that is supposed to make me a better machinist as well...but haven't used it yet. Apparently I need to pay attention to the lathe and not just the work piece. So, other than playing with the lathe, what did I get done:

I finally have 2 axles that will work for the non-powered truck. I am confident that the 7" wheels fill press fit with the help of a 20T press - no heat, no LocTite .
I got the test pillow block chucked into the 4 jaw and successively drilled up to a 1" hole in the face. I tried to go from 1" to 1 11/32", but no dice. The lathe isn't stiff enough, etc. I am awaiting an in between sized drill bit to arrive to try again. If that fails to get me there, plan B will be to drill the holes into 1/8" aluminum plates then bolt them to the back of the pillow blocks and widen the trucks by the corresponding inch (I haven't welded them yet).
I rounded the upper corners of the truck frames and I cut the mystery triangles that go on the outside upper center of the side frames.
I also started on the other set of 4 equalizer bars.

Oh, I did buy a cutting machine for vinyl lettering (or reverse stencil for painting the letters). The Bobber, the flat car, the stretch Husky, and the SP1 will now have lettering on them.
senorgilamonster

a small victory: after a long dry spell I feel like I am making progress again.

I got the drive axle turned. I got one of the pillow blocks bored. I got the slave drive sprocket on the drive axle with enough precision that it was able to be heat shrinked in place. (what a great feeling when it slid on).

I got bronze bearings brazed onto the motor mounts. My welding sucks, but my work with the Hobart Aluminum brazing rods is significantly better.

And - I got a keyway cut into the axle and one of the wheels in place over the key (Locltite).

The drive sprocket I purchased is bore-able - which is good since I over turned its place on the axle - BUT I am having a terrible time trying to bore it. Started on the lathe and gave up. Put it on the drill press thinking more HP would help...but it didn't.

The pillow block is nice, but I need to figure out a better, faster, easier way to bore them or the next 8 will take me forever.

Finally a question - I am thinking about using a smaller dia. axle on the slaved axle. As long as I use a sprocket with the same number of teeth it seems to me like the wheels should still have the same rotational speed. Am I outsmarting myself here or will that work like I think?

Sadly no pics today - camera issues
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

So long as the sprockets are identical in diameter/tooth count, the size of the axle doesn't matter. Go for it.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
senorgilamonster

I got another pillow block bored. This one in 1/3rd the time and much better quality. If I can repeat, it will be OK. I got the slave drive sprocket on the slave axle done with enough precision that it was also able to be heat shrinked in place.

I used my new found brazing skills to make a spacer bracket for the motor mount.

I also cleaned up the second side frame (90% done) and cut the slots into the second set of equalizer bars. I started the bottom spring platforms and fashioned 4 retainers that will go under the pillow blocks to keep them from falling out of the bottom of the slot in the sideframe.

All in all a productive day.
senorgilamonster

I've been cursing the lathe all morning. Trying to drill pilot holes in more pillow blocks, but just couldn't. Took a break and discovered that the lathe was in reverse from a previous operation. Jeez :oops:

I did get the slave axle finished yesterday. Now that my head is in the sunshine again, I'll try to get 2 more pillow blocks done today.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

senorgilamonster wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:38 pm I've been cursing the lathe all morning. Trying to drill pilot holes in more pillow blocks, but just couldn't. Took a break and discovered that the lathe was in reverse from a previous operation. Jeez :oops:
Brings back memories of my high school years.
Walked in to the machine shop while a guy, a year older, was trying to center drill a piece of stock, and was not enjoying success. I suggested to him that he might have better luck running the lathe in the proper direction, as he was running in reverse. He was amazed to discover it worked!

This guy, Bob Ipson, went on to become a machinist. Now deceased, he received a heart transplant at some point in his life.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
senorgilamonster

Welding Day: Thanks to whoever suggested 6013. My eldest son came over to help. He had never touched a welder before today. After an hour of practice he was laying down a pretty nice weld on a flat pieces of scrap. Given his skill level appearing better than mine, we moved on to welding up a frame for the first truck. He didn't do as well on the fillets but his stack of blobs were still neater than mine + he hit the zone a few times, so overall it looks better than I would have done. I attribute his fine motor skills to all of the years of video game playing that he has done.

At the end I tried out the 6013 on a piece of flat scrap and layed down a nice stack of dimes myself.
senorgilamonster

welding the main crosspiece to the sideframes
20180326_132457.jpg
The welded frame with slave axle on pillow blocks, equalizer bars, and bottom spring plate
IMG_1187.jpg
My flat weld with 6013. 1.5 days total welding time with a break of a couple of weeks in between. Now, if I could just get my fillets this nice.
IMG_1191.jpg
senorgilamonster

This is what the second version of the spring bottom support looks like. (pretty rough here, but it proves the concept). The slot in the middle rides up and down the side frame. The other ears on the end keep the equalizer bars from getting too close to the side frame.
spring plank.jpg
The prototype for the inner part of the headlight assembly:
IMG_1194.jpg
senorgilamonster

Turned another axle today. Getting faster, but still manage to over-turn about every 5th surface. Heat pressed a sprocket and wheel on.

My biggest accomplishment was working out the radius for the arc of the roof of the cab, transferring it to card stock, then copying it over to 1/2" MDF for a guide. I thought that I was going to bend the cab today, but discovered that I didn't have the router bit that I needed for the corner radius form...and can't get one locally.

For those following the specifics of the build the arc worked out to 3'6" radius. (about 42' R for the prototype)
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Is that headlight part from your 3D printer? Looks great!
Are you going to tack weld your wheels and sprockets onto the axles?
senorgilamonster

yes, the headlight pieces is from the 3D printer. It can be smoothed out and used as is since it actually goes inside of a housing, or I could use it as an investment for casting into aluminum. Doing this made me realize that the front headlight has an angled back due to the slope of the hood front. :)

I haven' t planned on tacking on the sprockets or wheels, although I could for the slave sprockets. I am not 100% on the main drive gear, so I may want to swap it out. Funny thing about that - it was the sprocket that I had so much trouble boring. In the end I destroyed it...and cannot find a replacement online. Looks like I will have to change the motor sprocket to #35 chain and get a new drive sprocket since I am striking out with #25.

I have an unplanned trip out of state for some family business that is going to take me out for the next 10-12 days. Everything is OK.

But...I did buy a small, enclosed, utility trailer to transport the beast to Train Mountain. So, I had better ger 'er done.